PDA

View Full Version : Bogging a fairing - which product and from where?

Macstar
12th June 2007, 17:58
I've done a whole stack of searches in the body work forum but couldn't find much on what bog to use and where to buy it from.

So.... I have a hole about the size of a 10cent coin in my side fairing that was punched through from one of the clutch-casing bolts when I dropped my bike. I want to bog it up, sand it smooth and then hide the evidence with a sticker :yes:

Cheers.

Madness
12th June 2007, 19:36
So far as I know there's 2 main types of fillers. Standard bog and those with fibreglass strands mixed in for extra strength load bearing/semi-structural repairs.

PM Crazefox, resident KB autobody repair expert.

RiderInBlack
12th June 2007, 20:19
Fu*k bogging when it is so easy ta plastic weld. Done heaps with a soldering iron and I get the rod I need from the local Auto Paint Shop. Put more on than ya need then file back, sand and paint.

slopster
13th June 2007, 00:24
Fibreglassing works very well too (though a bit messy to work with and hard work to sand back) and will stick to plastic if the plastic is sanded and cleaned properely. Much stronger than plastic welding or bogging - it will be stronger than before.

Thenaughtebucket
13th June 2007, 10:26
Id go with the plasitc welding option, seems to be quite easy to do, and you might have problems getting bog/fibreglass to stick, depending on what sorta plastic your fairings are made from.

Kwaka14
13th June 2007, 10:31
Don't fibreglass or bog if you can avoid it as they aren't designed (as far as I know) to stick to plastic, do the plastic welding thing, wurth (I think) also do a specific "plastic" resin which can be mixed as a filler if you need to. Plastic also expands at a different rate to fibreglass so fibreglass repairs don't last....

Billy
13th June 2007, 12:33
You will need to plastic weld it before filling it a simple enough operation but can be done with a soldering iron if need be but it would need to be a 100 watt minimum getting it done professionaly would be better.You can then fill it with a soft filler there are several on the market designed specically for the repair of plastic items ie car bumpers etc.The one we use is Evercoat ultra light and is available through most PPG suppliers and most other automotive paint suppliers.However the quantities it is available in are quite large so it would probably be more cost effective to pop down to your local panelbeater and have him do the job for you.Sounds like about a $30.00 repair to me.Hope this has been of some help to you if you need any further advice re this repair feel free to call me on 075746747 or 0272036516 or email me at acrfibreglass@actrix.co.nz Cheers from the team at AutoCycle Refinishers and Fibreglass

Macstar
13th June 2007, 15:34
Wicked, thanks guys - sound advice as usually.

IamCornholio
25th June 2007, 16:03
Fibreglassing works very well too (though a bit messy to work with and hard work to sand back) and will stick to plastic if the plastic is sanded and cleaned properely. Much stronger than plastic welding or bogging - it will be stronger than before.

Excellent advice IMHO. :yes: +rep for you friend!

I prefer to use the 'Bondo' brand of fiberglass resin and fiberglass cloth.

I have used it to reinforce most all of the stock plastics on our bike with great sucess. If one will do as you suggest and sand and clean the plastic properly, adhesion is NOT an issue at all.

This stuff can very easily be applied to the backside of the fairings/plastics and will form a very hard surface which can then be sanded if one chooses. Once the backside is supported with the fiberglass cloth and resin, the hole on the front side can easily be repaired with smaller pieces of the same stuff and then sanded down flush with the original surface... :scooter:

I have learned as well that if I wear latex gloves when using this stuff, there is nearly no mess to clean off my hands afterwards. Very simple and easy to use product IMO. :Punk: