PDA

View Full Version : Bikers “save half a day a week” commuting to work

Bob
13th June 2007, 00:44
According to figures published by the RAC Foundation, UK bikers who commute are making significant time savings getting to work against those racked up by other commuters.

The report states that commuters could save over three hours per week by switching to two wheels – the equivalent of just shy of half a working day – from cars, buses or coaches. The biggest savings were in central London and the east of England, where savings were closer to four hours.

The foundation also warned that anyone planning to switch to two wheels should do so now because in 15 months the UK motorcycle test will get tougher and more expensive as it is brought into line with EU requirements.

The foundation also warned that anyone planning to switch to two wheels should do so now because in 15 months the UK motorcycle test will get tougher and more expensive as it is brought into line with EU requirements.

Yeh... it was pretty tough already, should be interesting to see what happens.

sAsLEX
13th June 2007, 02:56
Yeh... it was pretty tough already, should be interesting to see what happens.

Not really with CB whatever it is a three day 500 quid course and you have your full. no silly waiting period or anything.

Bob
13th June 2007, 03:09
Not really with CB whatever it is a three day 500 quid course and you have your full. no silly waiting period or anything.

Ah, they're messing about with that as well. At the moment, you can take Direct Access at 21. They're going to raise the age to 24... which I think puts it higher than the various ages you can take your initital CBT, then test, then wait 2 years before being able to ride anything.

Not sure it is coming in at the next stage, but I know the plan was to force you to take tests at each level. So you'd have to do basic training, then spend time at 125cc level, then re-test to be allowed something bigger (250cc?) then another test to be allowed to ride without capacity limits.

I think the next stage is "just" another increase in difficulty - more things to be able to do, plus emergency stops will be at an increased speed... a speed that is illegal on average roads! Speed limit unless signposted is 30mph... and the emergency stop speed will be higher than that!

Result? They're having to spend fortunes building new test centres with special areas to do your emergency stop and u-turn/manouvres sections.

Won't be long before that cost is passed on through increased test fees.

ManDownUnder
13th June 2007, 06:14
Yup - I'd believe it.

As someone that commutes the length of the NW motorway each way, every day at peak hour...

Yeh, I did the DAS course two years ago to get my full... it's actually a 5 day course, and about 500pounds yeh.

What I was referring to was the test itself... they're fairly tough on marking in my experience, and the guy that tested before me got pinged on all sorts of stuff that you normally wouldn't worry about, enough that he failed the test.

For mine, it was a 30-40minute ride around Portsmouth, managed to get only one minor tick in the test and I was home free :D

Pumba
13th June 2007, 12:54
The report states that commuters could save over three hours per week by switching to two wheels.

Not just the UK. By my very quick calculations I would save myself about two hours per week by taking the bike to work, im not saying I do any thing more productive with it than those that take a car but it is still there if I need it.

Matt
15th June 2007, 10:54
Yeah I reckon the UK test is pretty hard at the moment, examiner I spoke to (after I had passed in late '05) reckoned he got about a 30-40% pass rate for bikes, and slightly lower for cars! Increasing the difficulty is just a money raising exercise IMO.

Even in Welly the bike saves me almost 4 hours a week (well maybe 3 and a half by the time I get all my gear on/off!).

Matt

ambler
15th June 2007, 16:16
I was pondering this today and I realised - you are also saving the other motorist's time as well, by having one less car on the road. Everybody wins.

Drum
15th June 2007, 16:35
Yep, I save 40 minutes a day by commuting, that's close to half a day a week.

I save about $25 a week in gas too by taking the bike instead of the cage.

Toaster
16th June 2007, 17:26
Well, living and working north of the bridge has it's advantages.... bugger all traffic. But I am sure as Albany expands, the traffic will back up and make the bike a more efficient tool for getting to work.

Shame the new roads are so narrow... lane splitting can be a bit more tricky!

sAsLEX
17th June 2007, 05:44
Yeh, I did the DAS course two years ago to get my full... it's actually a 5 day course, and about 500pounds yeh.

My mate did it in three, two training and one test day.

Rubbergirl
17th June 2007, 05:45
WOW! I can believe that!!!

Apart from the amount of time it takes me to squeeze into and out of my leathers at each end!

Maha
17th June 2007, 21:02
WOW! I can believe that!!!

Apart from the amount of time it takes me to squeeze into and out of my leathers at each end!

Apply liquid soap....will help squeeze in those bits that dont quite fit....:yes:

Sanx
19th June 2007, 15:58
Apply liquid soap....will help squeeze in those bits that dont quite fit....:yes:

KY Jelly does the same job, but people might end up staring... :eek5:

gw555
20th June 2007, 13:39
I think the next stage is "just" another increase in difficulty - more things to be able to do, plus emergency stops will be at an increased speed... a speed that is illegal on average roads! Speed limit unless signposted is 30mph... and the emergency stop speed will be higher than that!

Result? They're having to spend fortunes building new test centres with special areas to do your emergency stop and u-turn/manouvres sections.

According to the English paper I was reading the other day the increased speed for emergency stopping is going to 50km/h which is just over 31mph. This is to fit in with the EU standards and of course now means that it is over the UK speed limit although they are now looking at reducing speeds to 20mph in built up areas so that should be good........................

Hanne
20th June 2007, 18:04
Ah, they're messing about with that as well. At the moment, you can take Direct Access at 21. They're going to raise the age to 24... which I think puts it higher than the various ages you can take your initital CBT, then test, then wait 2 years before being able to ride anything.

Not sure it is coming in at the next stage, but I know the plan was to force you to take tests at each level. So you'd have to do basic training, then spend time at 125cc level, then re-test to be allowed something bigger (250cc?) then another test to be allowed to ride without capacity limits.

Does that mean that noone under 24 can legally ride a bike in the UK???
Say if Iwent over there with my full, would they convert that temporarily or would I have to wait until 24?