PDA

View Full Version : Screwed

Blondini
13th June 2007, 15:38
I need a little advice please:yes: I have stuffed the screw head on the clutch fluid cylinder.I just wanted to top up the fluid FFS:angry: Now I have stuffed it.You would think I would have left it while it was still semi ok but no:nono: I had to well and truly stuff it up.How can I remove it please?any advice would be appreciated.:yes: :love:

bistard
13th June 2007, 15:47
So its a Phillips head screw right??
Do you have access to a drill?,if so can you undo the other screw??,get a
drill bit the same size as the thread on the other screw & drill it in the centre,clean all the swarf(fillings) away,remove the fluid reservoir cap & you will be able to unscrew the left over portion on the damaged screw
I hope that helps

blacksheep
13th June 2007, 15:47
you can try using a small centre punch and tap it anti-clockwise until finger loose or cut a groove with a hacksaw blade across the head of the screw,then give it a gentle tap with a screwdriver and then try and loosen,if its still too tight get a screwdriver and attach a set of vice grips to the shaft of screwdriver and turn screwdriver and vicegrips at the same time,then once removed replace with allen head bolts,pref stainless steel.hope this helps,good luck

Blondini
13th June 2007, 15:57
Thanks you guys:yes: It WAS a phillips but now is a crater:yes: I did not really want to have to get stuff (crap) in the cylinder it has just been bled and that turned into a mission.A mate is calling by to check it out when he has free time before I lose patience and do more damage:love:

terbang
13th June 2007, 16:03
Yup tapping it with a punch and drilling the head off are good options but if you haven't done those things before, because it can be a bit tricky, then be carefully careful as you can scratch and score the top up badly which will stare you in the face every time you go riding. :shit:

Madness
13th June 2007, 16:05
There's a product on the market called "Re-Coil Re-Grip" it's a fluid filled with diamond fragments, designed to aid the gripping of stripped fasteners, comes in a small Twink sized bottle for around $15. Worst comes to worst, buy a Screw Extractor for around $10 for a small one.

Blondini
13th June 2007, 16:09
Yup tapping it with a punch and drilling the head off are good options but if you haven't done those things before, because it can be a bit tricky, then be carefully careful as you can scratch and score the top up badly which will stare you in the face every time you go riding. :shit:
AH I hear you,Best I leave it then aye:yes: Will have to be a little bit more patient and wait like I was told originally...but no ears me..........:Punk:

Kwaka14
13th June 2007, 16:09
go down the road of a screw extractor if you have no other way of getting it out, it's not easy to use a punch or hacksaw etc with a flush (csk head) screw, you will need a drill bit smaller in diameter than the screw to get the extractor started....

terbang
13th June 2007, 16:13
I think that the screws on the top of the mastercyl are countersunk so just progressively drilling the head off will allow you to remove the cover and grip the protruding shank with some sort of grips.
Stud extractors are just fabulous right up until the fraction of a second that they snap..! Then you are stuck with a stud that now has a piece of undrillable material jambed in it. By memory they are a 4 mm screw which will need a very fine drill and extractor, too risky. It's a steel screw in an aluminium housing that (if it was recently bled so it must have been off recently) is not frozen, just tight and my guess is you may have not had quite the right screwdriver for the job (there are phillips screwdrivers and there are also phillips screwdrivers). So it shouldn't be too hard to remove.

Blondini
13th June 2007, 16:17
Correct terbang they are counter sunk:yes:Will a hammer work:dodge:

terbang
13th June 2007, 16:20
AH I hear you,Best I leave it then aye:yes: Will have to be a little bit more patient and wait like I was told originally...but no ears me..........:Punk:

No not at all, fixing yer own bike is part of the package and adds to the enjoyment. And here you are, asking, so you are on the right track..:sunny:

The Stranger
13th June 2007, 16:21
Correct terbang they are counter sunk:yes:Will a hammer work:dodge:

Only for fine adjustment.

terbang
13th June 2007, 16:23
Only for fine adjustment.

Or gentle persuasion...!

Blondini
13th June 2007, 16:27
Cool ....Walks off to find large hammer...............................

bistard
13th June 2007, 16:30
If you didnt live at Scott Base,you could bring around & I would fix it for you

Blondini
13th June 2007, 16:37
I should really just be patient I have 2 new scratches:Punk:

Macktheknife
13th June 2007, 16:42
Bring it to my place if you like, I will show you how to fix it.

Blondini
13th June 2007, 16:48
Bring it to my place if you like, I will show you how to fix it.Thanks but its on the katana and I have not even tried it cos I am waiting to fill the blimin cylinder back up but thanks...I cant even get the beast off its stand on my own:shutup: :sunny: :sunny:

Squiggles
13th June 2007, 17:25
just buy a screw extractor of the right size,

i also find that impact drivers are the best way to get them out to start with, instead of your usual screwdriver, find the right bit (one always seems to fit perfectly fer me) and wack it a couple of times before twisting... havent had to drill out any screws since i started doing this....

Waitakere City for those who dont know where scott base it :lol:

Blondini
13th June 2007, 18:22
Thanks for all the great advice...I will keep you posted as to how it gets removed...:gob: :sunny: :love: :2thumbsup :grouphug:

FROSTY
13th June 2007, 18:31
gimmeen a yeodle-- I have YE bloody big hammer--iffn that dont work I have ye-truely enormous hammer
once the whole cylinder is pulped-buy a new one and fit it--problem solved
Of course if ya prefer I also have an impact driver with a fine point on it and a couple of other tools desighned to sort out a problem just like yours

Blondini
13th June 2007, 18:44
gimmeen a yeodle-- I have YE bloody big hammer--iffn that dont work I have ye-truely enormous hammer
once the whole cylinder is pulped-buy a new one and fit it--problem solved
Of course if ya prefer I also have an impact driver with a fine point on it and a couple of other tools desighned to sort out a problem just like yoursThanks :yes: Great to see you still have your sense of humour..I have said spare cylinder but want to avoid this:yes: man its just one small screw:oi-grr: :2guns: I am usually so patient:ar15: :ar15: :ar15: :apint: :calm:

FROSTY
13th June 2007, 18:46
its easy to fix

Brian d marge
13th June 2007, 18:57
Ahhhhhggggggg a screw extractor ,,,,,

get a phillips screwdriver that fits the other scew well .. ie the right tool .

Now 2 ways depending on the state of the screw , use a blunt punch the size or slightly over the core thread size 4, 5 mm dia smartly rap the top of screw with puch and hammer , this will reform top of the screw , also it wil shock the thread relaxing the grip a tiny bit

now WARM the area up with a warm air gun ,,( becareful)

use a goog screwdriver with a good handle and it should sail out

all else fails drill it ,

when refiting use a tiny amount of anti seize under the head of screw

must dash work to do

Sorry about hurried reply !!

Stephen

Warr
13th June 2007, 19:05
its easy to fix
With the right approach what Frosty says.
Else it will be rubbish bin material.

FROSTY
13th June 2007, 19:10
BD--sorry bro tis toolate for that fix--She's burred the entire head out--typical old suzi screw

Max Preload
13th June 2007, 21:20
For a start, throw away the Philips screwdrivers and get a Posidrive set.

Secondly, don't use a eziout extractor - it WILL break and you'll be stuffed. Simply drill the stuffed head off with a drill of the same size as the thread (someone mentioned they're M4, so 4mm even though M4 is actually slightly under that so if you have a 3.5mm use that).

Swarf will not go into the master cylinder because the seal is underneath the cap.

ManDownUnder
14th June 2007, 09:06
LOLOL... on the bright side there is a solution... I have an impact driver and it's just down the road. I'll drop it by with an 'ammer and see if we can get it out but...

first things first -you'll need a new one to replace it with - before you take the other one out.

As for Blondini having trouble screwing... errrmm... I find that hard to believe personally ... :dodge:

terbang
14th June 2007, 09:16
But if it has a crater now (stripped out) then whacking it with an impact driver will only smoth things out a bit. Its also an ally housing so whacking it isn't a great option either. For christ sake don't go near stud extractors, it wil end in tears. Accurate, progressive drilling is the answer.

imdying
14th June 2007, 10:21
They're piss weak those screws... having said that, they give little trouble if the correct screwdriver is used... most people don't know the difference between pozi and phillips though.

I'm all for drilling it out as described above. Sounds difficult, but isn't. What's left of the cross will act as a guide, just don't be brutal.

People have been know to hammer a flat head down into it, and to turn that :innocent:

Blondini
14th June 2007, 10:27
As for Blondini having trouble screwing... errrmm... I find that hard to believe personally ... :dodge:
Ah Bit slow there nigel...Was expecting an earlier dig:yes: Theres bloody cobwebs mate:shutup: :love: :buggerd: :shit: :laugh:

Blondini
14th June 2007, 10:30
just don't be brutalLOL:eek: :lol: :killingme :slap: Ok plan B :yes: :rofl: :sunny:

FROSTY
14th June 2007, 12:36
give me a call-- I might be a bit "armless" but im just ere wif da tools

Blondini
14th June 2007, 13:39
give me a call-- I might be a bit "armless" but im just ere wif da toolsWill do If needed mate cheers :yes: .

Blondini
15th June 2007, 09:56
All fixed:yes: Had a couple of helpful kbers turn up the first had a little problem with my mitre 10 tools:yes: The second brought handy dandy drill and drilled the mother then took of the lid and used vice grips to loosen it.Yay :sunny: Top marks and much love and appreciation to all the help and advice.Oh and it did not need topping up either and I can get my bike off the stand I have been shown the KNACK:yes: :Punk: