PDA

View Full Version : Luggage

MadDuck
15th September 2004, 22:38
Not sure if this has been done before or if it the right forum ...but am sure you lot tell me soon enuff....cos you good at that :eek:

Was thinking about up coming trip to Tokannau (yeah whatever) and my South Island trip. I dont want to put a pack rack thingy of any permanance on the bike and went to Motomail and they suggested some soft luggage carriers. Ohhhhh it will only cost you $370 bucks maam. Phewy!

What do you guys do if you just want to take luggage for one off rides ...bearing in mind I am not cruising but just want to take enuff gear for a trip? Sleeping bag and a few clothes without carrying a back pack.

pete376403
15th September 2004, 22:44
Sleeping bag bungied to the pillion seat and a tank bag for everything else.

Holy Roller
15th September 2004, 22:49
The last cold kiwi I used the kids paper sacks. just chucked them over the seat with a couple of bungies to hold the flaps down. All the gear was in plastic bags to keep it dry.
Nothing flash but functionable, I've seen others use the old army havorsacks slung together as paniers. Certainly helps with keeping the weight low a big bonus.

toads
16th September 2004, 07:54
My bike has a packrack that I can remove when not in use, but I quite like HR's idea, cos I think I'll have a bit of turbulence with a pack on the back like that, there was a set of pannier bags on trademe the other day, they were quite cheap, go and check it out.

FROSTY
16th September 2004, 08:11
Id just bite the bullet and fit a pack rack. you can always take the top loop off when you ain't using it. If you turn the pack around backwards it doesn't affect the bike sod all. A tank bag will be the best addition with maybee a set of throwovers if you need the luggage space.
You can borrow my pack if you need one.

Quasievil
16th September 2004, 08:31
Go get one of those Bike purpose luggage nets for around $20 bucks ,throw all your gear in a sports bag bag pack or something and use the luggage net to tie it down.

I followed Loose bruce down to Welly at his normal huge speed and his net and gear did not move an inch, good option and Cheaper than you can get anywhere else, and safe !!

vifferman
16th September 2004, 08:37
You don't need to go the expensive way - just use whatever is a convenient size/shape and tie it securely to your bike. Quasi's idea of a bike net is a goodun for maximum security.
Before my last two bikes, I didn't have a packrack. On longish trips, (like several from Tauranga to Hawera and back, when I was self-employed) I'd just put an overnight bag on the back of the seat of the VF500, and bungey it on. It was a wee bit of a pain in some ways, as I had to check it every so often on bumpy roads to make sure it hasn't come adrift (they didn't have luggage nets then), but it worked well for me. If it was really wet, I'd just stick the whole thing in a big plastic bag, or else put all the clothes etc. inside plastic bags in the overnight bag.

jrandom
16th September 2004, 08:38
Go get one of those Bike purpose luggage nets for around $20 bucks ,throw all your gear in a sports bag bag pack or something and use the luggage net to tie it down.

Yup, that works for me. Reasonably waterproof backpack strapped to pillion seat, put non-wettables in a plastic bag inside if I'm feeling cautious. Job's a good 'un.

AMPS
16th September 2004, 08:40
We have some throw-overs @ $144.00.
They're square, black nylon/cordura type, good capacity and shower proof.
Call 09 300 7500.
Lou

Ms Piggy
16th September 2004, 08:53
I was lucky enough to buy a tank and tail bag 2nd hand (thanks matthewt). I have a pack rack but I've never fitted it b/c I've always thought about it encouraging my bike to blow around in the wind a lot more.

When I went on my ride to Hamilton I managed to take lots of clothes, 3 pairs if shoes, my hair dryer & all my neccessary toilettries! :niceone:

Hitcher
16th September 2004, 09:18
Oxford makes a good range of tail bags. They come in a couple of sizes with a rain cover. These sit on your rear seat (or equivalent) and have built-in bungy cords. I've got one and I love it. For longer trips/more luggage, throwover panniers work really well. Get the ones with the plastic liners.

Blakamin
16th September 2004, 09:30
When I went on my ride to Hamilton I managed to take lots of clothes, 3 pairs if shoes, my hair dryer & all my neccessary toilettries! :niceone:

Hair dryer????? were you not riding a motorcycle?? didnt you get helmet-hair anyway??? :Pokey:

just remembered what a hair dryer does... gets stickers off! :blah:

Paul in NZ
16th September 2004, 10:52
There is a bunch of ways to do this!

Never underestimate the reliable black plastic rubbish sack and 6 miles of manky old bungy cords. A net to hold the whole thing flat is good too...

Panniers are great but a lot of modern bikes are nearly impossible to fit even soft ones to easily! We use cheap as chip ventura ones ($90 or something silly) and they have been happily leaking for several seasons. We use a rear sausage bag from a discontinued BMW line, $90! Choice!

Go to a good sports store and look for dry storeage bags for kayaks / yachts. Tough as hell but expensive!

If I only had limited $$ Invest in a good tank bag as it will last you a lifetime. Rubbish sack as a seat bag and way hay you go! (use 2 or 3 layers of rubbish sack, pack everything into seperate plastic bags. Not only does it keep shit dry, you can annoy the crap out of people by rustling them all night looking for your torch. Big fun!

ps Check out trade me and cash converters too. This stuff turns up!

Paul N

Artifice
16th September 2004, 11:40
talking about luggage...
i usually put aside only the stuff i need for a trip. then i take half of it and put it back in the drawer at home. but i found i still didnt need most of it on the two weeks i was gone. The French don't call it "le impediment" for nothing. anyways next time im only going to take 1 change of clothes and if i need more ill drop into woolies sometime. I just take a tank bag for my spare visor/maps/stuff and a tailbag for everything else.

Motu
16th September 2004, 12:25
I seem to have misplaced my saddle bags somewhere in my many moves - they were cardboard and vinyl pushbike ones...black with white pin stripping,I had reflectors and chrome stars on the back....they also came with a little aerial and half a dozen felt flags,Waitomo Caves,Tauranga,Taihape,stuff like that.Hope I find them soon cause I think I left a bannana in one....

These days...any bag that fits the load and every bungy I can find - don't squash the bannanas.

clint640
16th September 2004, 13:04
As the guys say, y' should be able to get basic soft panniers for around $100, I think they're well worth it. I've had my 'Gypsy' ones for 10 yrs. I like the weight low & towards the centre of the bike. Fitting them to some bikes can be tricky but they've fitted everything I've owned, I made some rails to tie them to & keep them off the plastic on the KTM. You can use that thick clear stick on plastic to stop them attacking yer paint.

Cheers
Clint

Posh Tourer :P
16th September 2004, 14:19
Got a pair of slingover canvas bags if you want to borrow them MadDuck. They are completely soft, so you might want to check out if that'd work for you. All ya gotta do is sit on the slingover part and they stay there :D

I took them to Whangamata on the MZ for a week's stay at a bach, no worries

Posh Tourer :P
16th September 2004, 14:28
My solution is here http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/gallery/index.php?cat=6

Ms Piggy
16th September 2004, 17:20
Hair dryer????? were you not riding a motorcycle?? didnt you get helmet-hair anyway??? :Pokey:

just remembered what a hair dryer does... gets stickers off! :blah:

Yes a hair dryer for drying my hair. B/c when I'm travelling I still need to have a shower and wash my hair, therefore I need a hairdryer to dry it. :blah: I have shoulder length hair & I'm not gonna ride with my hair wet.

White trash
16th September 2004, 17:24
Courierpost. Fucken great value. Nine bucks gets a great amount of gear anywhere in the North Island.

No way I'm fucking up my pride and joy by putting a pack rack on it.

Blakamin
16th September 2004, 18:41
Courierpost. Fucken great value. Nine bucks gets a great amount of gear anywhere in the North Island.

No way I'm fucking up my pride and joy by putting a pack rack on it.
scuse me if i run away to laugh :moon:

dhunt
16th September 2004, 20:35
I've got a tank back and some soft pannier bags. I've also got a bag for a pack rack but haven't got a rack (maybe one day I'll get one). Got the lot off tradme for $200.

David

mccool
16th September 2004, 21:49
Mad Duck, if you get soft panniers or any panniers, get a large roll of duct tape too. Put it on the plastic panels at the side of the bike where the panniers touch them. Otherwise they scuff the panels and your machine starts to look old.

Of course packing gear for a trip is all about miniturisation of your equipment etc. One of my merry gang of rogues once went through a bit of a phase. He snapped his toothbrush in two to save weight and space and hassled his wife for taking lipstick. (Tony, you know who you are)

It'll be good to meet you at the Tokaanu bash.

merv
17th September 2004, 08:09
So why the aversion to pack racks? I've had mine on the VFR for 10 years, you'd never know its there when riding the bike and I can take it off and you'd never know it had been on the bike. Whereas throwovers, scuffed panels etc as mentioned above what's the good of that duct tape or not?

dangerous
17th September 2004, 21:15
Id just bite the bullet and fit a pack rack. If you turn the pack around backwards it doesn't affect the bike sod all

So why the aversion to pack racks? I've had mine on the VFR for 10 years, you'd never know its there when riding the bike and I can take it off and you'd never know it had been on the bike. Whereas throwovers, scuffed panels etc as mentioned above what's the good of that duct tape or not?
All good advice. IMO your type of bike isent suited that well to through overs as the pipe/pipes are to high and the bags may melt to them, and as you have no shocks the bags can swing in causing problems and all this for paint being rubbed of if ya dont tape or protect the thing also ya cant get a hell ofa lot in them like a tank bag but the tank bag is good if you need extra room.

A pack rack and bag will hold all of what you need, they are not too heavey a felling, and in most cases make the bike handle better and with your short assed legs MD ya shouldent have trouble throughing ya leg over.
You do however need to watch the angle that you park on as it can sometimes be hard to stand the bike up again.

The attached photo is the VTR fully loaded all I need is there, you wont be needing the tent or sleeping role on your KB rally ride so the gear is sitting over the rear axel.... wind isent a prob and niether is handling.

MadDuck
17th September 2004, 21:52
Thanks for the offers and advise....the $20 version sounds like the go for me. That way I can use the existing number of back packs I have stuffed in the wardrobe. No hairdryer included guess I will borrow CSLs

"A pack rack and bag will hold all of what you need, they are not too heavey a felling, and in most cases make the bike handle better and with your short assed legs MD ya shouldent have trouble throughing ya leg over."

Yeah on ya D :P I looked at your pic and thought yeah righto how exactly am I gonna get me leg over ....lmfao!!! You will keep sunshine :mad:

merv
18th September 2004, 09:21
Yeah on ya D :P I looked at your pic and thought yeah righto how exactly am I gonna get me leg over ....lmfao!!! You will keep sunshine :mad:

Its simple, when I have both my Ventura bags on the rack so the large one faces forward, just put your left foot on the footpeg and climb on through. No use trying to swing your leg over.

As a dirt rider when you start getting tired late in the day that's a good technique for climbing on a tall bike too because after a long ride using feet out cornering and stuff like that the old muscles on the inside of the thighs get knackered and don't like lifting your leg too high.

White trash
18th September 2004, 12:16
scuse me if i run away to laugh :moon:

What's so funny?! :spudwhat:

LB
20th September 2004, 05:28
I'm with CSL on the hairdryer. If you wash your hair then put your helmet on with it damp you get very cold. I did it once years ago in the middle of winter, not realising why I was so bloody cold on my trip. You can get small travel sized hairdryers that don't take up much room.

White trash
20th September 2004, 07:43
I'm with CSL on the hairdryer. If you wash your hair then put your helmet on with it damp you get very cold. I did it once years ago in the middle of winter, not realising why I was so bloody cold on my trip. You can get small travel sized hairdryers that don't take up much room.

And here's me thinking you chicks just always wanted to look your best. Bit easier to pick up spunky men in tight leathers and all that....

wari
20th September 2004, 07:52
IF ya wanna go cheape™ , do as my brotherr did ...

MAke a pcakrack outofa ironing board and strap your packe toit ... :spudwave:

No charge for such advice .. :niceone: