PDA

View Full Version : First Bluetooth enabled helmet released

Bob
16th September 2004, 00:00
Motorola and MOMODESIGN today announced their first Bluetooth enabled motorcycle helmet that will make it possible for motorcycle riders to scoot around town and stay connected.

The joint venture should make communications between rider and pillion – or even riders on separate bikes (as long as they are within range) much easier.

The open-face helmet features a cover that allows all normal mobile/cellphone functions (answer, end, redial, voice dial and volume) to be made. Conversations can be continued when off the bike by removing the headset module from the helmet and attaching it to a neck loop.

The battery lasts for up to five hours talktime and 100 hours standby time.

Availability is expected in early 2005.

wkid_one
16th September 2004, 20:32
Quite frankly - I enjoy riding a bike BECAUSE no one can call me....why the fuck would I want to allow the ability for SWMBO to ring whilst I am mid-knee down to remind me to be careful?

dhunt
16th September 2004, 20:37
Does the helmet have a built in screen so I can surf the net while I'm out riding, I mean while I wait for the lights to change?

David

Yamahamaman
16th September 2004, 20:40
Hmm, handsfree kit for my Nokia works well for me. Auto Answer; voice-tag dialing.
Not new.

6Chris6
16th September 2004, 20:45
Yeah, and we could all ride round with radio in our lids to, but a big part of the attraction for me is that it's just me, my scoot and the road.

Bandito
16th September 2004, 20:50
Maybe we could just stay at home instead?

Bob
16th September 2004, 20:56
To be honest, I go along with all of you - I don't want to be able to chat to people - let alone use some technology that allows complete strangers to start talking to me.

Lets face it, if you want to talk to another biker, then when they pull up at the lights or something, pull alongside and chat to them then!

It could be useful for talking to your pillion - but then you could do what Yamahamaman suggests. And (depending on tariffs etc), this could be free if you both use the same providor.

Surprises me it has taken so long to come up with an integrated system though, given that mobile/cell technology has been around a good few years now.

Mongoose
16th September 2004, 22:14
Quite frankly - I enjoy riding a bike BECAUSE no one can call me....why the fuck would I want to allow the ability for SWMBO to ring whilst I am mid-knee down to remind me to be careful?

I'm with you on this one wkid. That is one of the pleasures of biking, get away from all other distractions from the outside world

Drunken Monkey
16th September 2004, 22:54

Agreed. You, the whine of the motor, and a bucket full of wind noise. No radio, no yabbering passenger, and no friggin mobile phone interruptions...

Zed
16th September 2004, 23:05
I'm with you on this one wkid. That is one of the pleasures of biking, get away from all other distractions from the outside worldNah, gotta disagree with the both of you!

I've often thought about how enjoyable it would be if we could communicate using such technology on group rides. Just imagine it - "hey great view to the left guys!" or "dude that was an AWESOME mono WT!" or "man you almost lost it on that last bend LB" or "hey watch out for that huge crater in the middle of the road that CK just rode through!" Great for a pillion too. :niceone:

Remember, you can turn it off too! :wacko:

Bob
17th September 2004, 00:07
Nah, gotta disagree with the both of you!

I've often thought about how enjoyable it would be if we could communicate using such technology on group rides. Just imagine it - "hey great view to the left guys!" or "dude that was an AWESOME mono WT!" or "man you almost lost it on that last bend LB" or "hey watch out for that huge crater in the middle of the road that CK just rode through!" Great for a pillion too. :niceone:

With that lot coming into your head non-stop, how are you supposed to concentrate on the road? I'd rather be able to listen to what is going on around me... :ride:

Artifice
17th September 2004, 00:53
does it support some sort of wep cam so people can see just what your doing?

Mongoose
17th September 2004, 01:19
With that lot coming into your head non-stop, how are you supposed to concentrate on the road? I'd rather be able to listen to what is going on around me... :ride:

Happened a few years ago, BMW riders with bike to bike radio. Bike one spots a hazard and call out to bikes two and three. Unfortunately they are on VOX and bike three rider sneezes at the exact moment rider one calls out. Transmission cancelled out, two radios broadcasting at once. End result, bikes unwarned and down.

wkid_one
17th September 2004, 07:53

Remember, you can turn it off too! :wacko: Yeah, and 'Hey watch out for that......argggggggggggg...crrrrrrsssssssssssss... .................FUCK'

Zed - you wanna try reading TotW 1 and 2 - you only have so many 'concentration points' - why risk it just so you can converse? Surely you plan stops along the way for that.

Quite frankly Zed.....If I am blasting in to a corner, and some fuckwit behind me wants to tell me 'hey great view to the left guys' - I don't want to hear it....

Jackrat
18th September 2004, 17:56
I'm so far behind the times an so mean with a $buck it's never gonn'a happen in my world.But I reckon it would have it's uses and as Zed says "you can turn it off"
Plus being very safty consious(A pessimistic chicken)I could see it coming in handy if I was parked upside down in a ditch some dark night.
Hey lots of folks carry mobiles aye!!

Slipstream
23rd September 2004, 17:07

I agree.
It would be handy, specially if the 'tailing charlie' on a group ride crashes on a quite road and needs assistance from the group. Letting the others know that you're stopping for gas, food, a whizz, or whatever.

Although that is the thing bout biking innit. You, your bike, the road and maybe other bikers. If you really wanted a conversation with someone you'd ride in a cage. :yes: