PDA

View Full Version : Harley Riders

scumdog
12th July 2003, 01:22
Just logged on to this site for the first time, grouse site man!
One thing I noticed, they're ain't nobody seems to own H-D that logs into this site, not that it worries me, hell, I'll talk to anyone on two wheels but it's just an observation, cheers, Scumdog

Motu
12th July 2003, 08:56
I'm a bit on the outside myself here mate - these guys are squid sportsbike riders,they're into stoppies and wearing race leathers with knee slidders...but like you,if it's bikes - I'm in like a robbers dog - we need to shit in their sandbox sometimes!

SpankMe
12th July 2003, 08:58
Glad to have you here. Most Harley riders seem to have a natural aversion to anything involving sport bikes, but this site is for ALL motorcyclists. This sites content is not provided by myself, but by the members who join. So I am always glad to see more cruiser and off road bikers join as we definitely have too larger percentage of sport bike riders here.

MikeL
12th July 2003, 09:19
Originally posted by SpankMe
this site is for ALL motorcyclists

:niceone:

bikerboy
12th July 2003, 12:07
Hey, Mike L, did you get a new bike, or am I suffering the effects of cold medicine od ?:Offtopic:

fergie
13th July 2003, 09:25
Hi Scumdog, welcome aboard! it's not about what you ride, it's the fact that you DO ride that matters.

chhers

ferg

Marmoot
14th July 2003, 00:27
doc has a harley
I'm more of a squid sportrider as motu said (:whocares: )

MikeL
14th July 2003, 09:27
Originally posted by bikerboy
Hey, Mike L, did you get a new bike, or am I suffering the effects of cold medicine od ?:Offtopic:

Very observant, BB. Your hallucinogenic cold medicine has nothing to do with it (this time, at least...)

:)

bikerboy
14th July 2003, 15:42
Fantastic :banana: :banana:

Now I'll never be able to catch up as you were enough of a demon on the other one. The new one looks much faster.:argh:

Redstar
14th July 2003, 20:17
yep welcome scumdog!
I have no aversion to Hogs at all In fact I want one to secure my garage floor to stop someone stealing it.. ? jokeish.

MikeL
14th July 2003, 20:52
Originally posted by bikerboy
Fantastic :banana: :banana:

Now I'll never be able to catch up as you were enough of a demon on the other one. The new one looks much faster.:argh:

Thanks for the (entirely unwarranted) compliment. Far from being a demon, I consider myself to be a thoroughly respectable, impeccably responsible and usually slightly boring pillar of the establishment who strives to uphold all the conservative values that are so often trodden underfoot by the ignorant, boorish youth of today...
So naturally, my new bike had to reflect these ideals. Anything remotely squidly was a non-starter - so none of your VTRs or GSX-Rs would do. A Triumph Thunderbird was the obvious choice, but sadly, budget constraints ruled it out. Aha! A Harley! Apart from the minor inconvenience of getting less performance for more money, strangely the Hog didn't get my pulse racing. What did turn me on was a Yamaha XJR1300 and I came within an inch of buying one. In the end I saved myself $4000 by getting the Suzuki which is as close to the Yamaha as makes no difference, at least to my untrained eye, ear and backside.
And yes, it is a tad faster than the Honda, but on the twisties I think the CB-1 could still give it a good run for its money. So I'm keeping the Honda, at least for the time being. Might even risk it on the race track one of these days...:niceone:

scumdog
14th July 2003, 22:39
Thanks to all who responded, you all have a great attitude, a bit like mine "it's not the ride, it's the man astride that counts"
I love all scoots, I own a rare Suzuki KN85, an '80's bike that was the first mono-shock, turbocharged, electronic injected Suzuki with anti-dive front forks so while I ride a Sporty I can respect any bike (and rider) that deserves it.
Had my Sporty "S" up to 185kph two up with camping gear and at my age (50+) it's almost enough for me!!
Keep the comments coming, all H-D owners are not the same, Scumdog

wari
14th July 2003, 22:57
Welcome Scumdog HD rider ...

Motu
15th July 2003, 13:08
Hey scumdag! my brother has one of those Suzuki turbos,he lives in Vancouver,there were only 25 imported to Canada,must be even rarer in NZ.I've been trying to find if any were over here for him,but yours is the first.If you are on the motorcycle turbo website you are sure to have come across him.We both have Yamaha XS650s - two brothers seperated by half a world kept together by motorcycles,we are both on the XS650 forums and our bikes are side by side in the gallery,no one would know that they are owned by brothers,but we do!

SPman
15th July 2003, 17:43
When I was living in New Plymouth c.1996, one of the local 2nd hand dealers had a Suz. 650 turbo for sale - didnt look like a runner - seen better days, but there it was. Wonder were it went to?

What?
16th July 2003, 06:38
Originally posted by scumdog
"it's not the ride, it's the man astride that counts" ...
all H-D owners are not the same, Scumdog

Good on ya, scumdog. There's too many yuppies out there who but themselves a Hogly and an open face matte black lid and suddenly think they are tougher than twenty hells angels and faster than Carl Fogarty.

Personally, I don't particularly like Harley's, though I've got a few mates who own them. Some people don't like what I ride. And I reckon this is good - it makes life a bit more colourful. If we all rode (name your fave) this whole motorcycling thing would be pretty boring.

Is that XN85 of yours in good nick? There were a few brought in, but never sold well. I own an equally uncommon CB1100 - a bit of a crowd puller these days - I mean on the rare days that I ride it:o

wkid_one
16th July 2003, 08:25
I must say first - HD riders are very reluctant to acknowledge sportsbike riders and the reverse is no doubt true in their eyes.

I have no opinion - in fact - I think that someone who can ride a bike well that doesn't turn or stop very well - is insane.  To me it doesn't matter so long as they are on a mbike.....

scumdog
16th July 2003, 09:54
Wkid One, I sent off a reply but it got "ate" by the 'puter somehow, anyway I'll give it another go.
I am quite happy the way my Sportster "S" stops and handles but then I don't ride it like a sportbike rider does and the way some of them pass me on the way to rallies the are INSANE!! ;)
Different strokes for different folks aye?

Coldkiwi
16th July 2003, 12:50
a keen observation!

I think people that commute in cars in rush hour traffic are insane
Car drivers that I lane split past certainly think I'm insane
As already established, some touring type riders thinks some sports riders are insane.
I also think some sports bike riders are insane
some people think that riding a slower turning and braking bike is insane
We all think KK is insane :rolleyes:

So really.. who is the insane one? Surely we're all a bit nuts but thats why we're so much fun to talk to!

scumdog
16th July 2003, 15:32
Being a hot-rodder from way back I like to tinker (I know - Tits-n-Wheels, Tits-n-Wheels, they'll both cost me!) and my first road bike was an iron sportster (dunno why they call them that - the brakes were wooden and the handling putty :) )and I like the idea of seeing the mechanical "bits" plus when you have to tinker (which you do a fair bit on an iron sporty) access is easy without a fairing or milti carb etc in the way.
Besides, if I had a sports-bike everyone would expect me to ride like the other sports riders, - and at my age the "ouch" factor is right there and keeps me sane!!

Mitch
17th July 2003, 23:13
Originally posted by scumdog  
"it's not the ride, it's the man astride that counts"

MAN.........MAN..............??????????  Bloody men trying to claim the world again :D 
Sorry Scumdog, it had to be said :p  Welcome and good on you!! :niceone:

I had a company bike a couple of weekends ago, Bonneville T100 and it was a real shock to the system when a Harley rider nodded to me, took me a minute to realise what was going on, hehe fooled him!!  He nodded a Jappa rider without knowing :eek: