PDA

View Full Version : There goes the neighbourhood!

Hitcher
14th June 2007, 11:26
Abandoned Rust Buckets Dent Neighbour's House Price
Press Release by allrealestate.co.nz at 11:12 am, 14 Jun 2007

Like a book by its cover, property seekers judge a neighbourhood by the vehicles lining its streets, according to a new survey by allrealestate.co.nz. Furthermore, 56 per cent of property seekers believe the type of vehicle parked out the front of your home could affect its value.

The survey revealed living next door to an abandoned rust bucket or a truck driver are the worst offenders to affect perceived property prices. With a large number of respondents suggesting an abandoned car 'lowers the tone of the neighbood' and 'gives off the impression of an area with high crime rates'. Respondents also comments that 'the generally large size of trucks make them obtrusive' and are considered 'not appropriate for a residential area'.

Downside - Vehicles respondents believe would decrease a property's values:

Type of Vehicle % of property seekers who think property values would decrease

Abandoned car 90.31%

Truck 66.49%

Motorbikes 32.75%

Caravan 31.22%

White van 26.32%

Shaun Di Gregorio, general manager of allrealestate.co.nz commented: "Every house has what we call 'kerb appeal'. People will drive past a property they are interested in inspecting and form an immediate impression of the property and the neighbouring properties based on external appearance and the type of cars lining the street and in the drive way."

On the upside however, living in a street with the right type of vehicle leaves property seekers not only with a good impression, but the 'urban tractor' otherwise known as a range Rover or Jeep could beef up properties value by 5%.

Moving further up the scale the survey revealed that luxury cars like a BMW or Mercedes are definitely in a class of their own, suggesting a neighbourhood is both affluent and exclusive, with an expectation of adding up to 10% value to local properties.

Without a doubt the best neighbourhood is a tree-lined haven of Porsches and Ferraris. Respondents were under the assumption that having such a flashy vehicle parked outside could to set prices racing ahead by 20%.

Di Gregorio said: "Obviously kerb to kerb prestige cars indicate a super-premium area where house prices are already high. Nevertheless, savvy house hunters can find themselves a bargain if they are looking for up and coming areas. A smattering of up-market cars in an otherwise unfashionable area is a stronger marker of gentrification and house prices there should outperform more well to do neighbourhoods over the medium term.

Upside - Vehicles respondents believe would increase a property's values:

Type of Vehicle % of property seekers who think property values would increase

Premier sports (Ferrari, Porsche) 57.28%

Luxury (BMW, Mercedes) 56.34%

Executive (Holden Statesman, Ford Fairmont) 42.06%

Prestige 4WD 38.97%

Fun hatchback (Gold, Peugeot, New Mini) 34.58%

One real estate agent commented: "It gives the buyer encouragement that the neighbours can afford to spend money on their homes and maintain and improve them; they will mix with people who are successful and they believe their family will be safer and more secure in a street like this."

"But if you're trying to sell your home and the neighbour's rust bucket is blocking the view, remember most councils will remove them for you; all it takes is a phone call."

Grub
14th June 2007, 11:29
Had a mate suggest once that as soon as the tradie vehicles started appearing in the area, he'd move out

vifferman
14th June 2007, 11:36
Fun hatchback (Gold, Peugeot, New Mini) 34.58%

Alriiiight!!!
We've got three (3) of those outside our house, so that means our property is worth 103.74% more.

Str8 Jacket
14th June 2007, 11:43
Well apparently the A brings down the value of my snobby Thorndon neighbourhood....

tri boy
14th June 2007, 11:53
The Real Estate industry has more to worry about than "kerb appeal" in the next 12-18 months.:shit:

carbacca
14th June 2007, 11:58
just "motorbikes" is far too generalised

i doubt say a 1980's GN250 compared with a brand new R1 would have the same effect

Dave Lobster
14th June 2007, 12:30
i doubt say a 1980's GN250 compared with a brand new R1 would have the same effect

To your average retard, they are one and the same. Just a noisy motorbike..

Pumba
14th June 2007, 12:44
What the hell is a bike doing on the street. If the house doesnt have enough off street parking for a bike then I wouldnt be interested in buying it.

Flatcap
14th June 2007, 12:48
So if I abandon my shit-box outside the house I am looking to buy, it will help in the negotiations! Brilliant!

scumdog
14th June 2007, 12:49
Going by THAT standard I wouldn't even buy my OWN house on this street....bloody up-their-own-arse yuppie knobs.....

MotoGirl
14th June 2007, 12:57
just "motorbikes" is far too generalised

I think there'd be some difference in someone seeing my RSV1000 and a GN250, and how they use this to determine the tone of the neighbourhood. I say this because the RSV looks expensive and flashy, plus it's Italian :love: Hence, based on looks alone, people should perceive the RSV better than they would the GN. Expensive and flashy vs. low budget commuter. Hmmmm, I wonder? :shutup:

When it comes to hearing the two bikes, the RSV would be perceived as a public nuisance and lower the tone of the neighbourhood. That's OK with me, it would still set off the alarms in the nearby Porches and Lamborghinis! :innocent:

Mully
14th June 2007, 13:07
To your average retard, they are one and the same. Just a noisy motorbike..

Funnily enough, I was at home the other day, and the neighbour was revving the bejesus out of his old bike for 20 minutes or so. Thought he must have been adjusting something (carbs, mebee) and needed to rev it. Looked out the kitchen window and he was just sitting on it, revving it's nuts off.

Mentioned to her indoors that he hadn't done that when we were looking at the house to buy.

xwhatsit
14th June 2007, 13:35
Funnily enough, I was at home the other day, and the neighbour was revving the bejesus out of his old bike for 20 minutes or so. Thought he must have been adjusting something (carbs, mebee) and needed to rev it. Looked out the kitchen window and he was just sitting on it, revving it's nuts off.

Mentioned to her indoors that he hadn't done that when we were looking at the house to buy.

<hints id="hah_hints"></hints>Lol, what is with people who do that?! Just start ringing the nuts out of their bike or car for no reason. It's bizarre. Some of the kids at uni with their shitbox boy-racer hatchbacks love to do it. Just fire the car up, and before it's even had a chance to warm up, they start revving it up in neutral, with the doors open. So strange.

Sorry, MotoGirl, even your RSV is just a noisy motorbike to your average man on the street. Probably the only thing that comes close to escaping that tag would be a bright red Ducati 998, and that's only because it's bright red and everybody knows the name `Ducati'. Even so, it'd still be a marker of a bogan, just one with a little more money to throw at their toys.

Scooters, on the other hand, would do much better I would think. Only Vespas of course, the modern-classic ones painted in British Racing Green with chrome trim.

Dave Lobster
14th June 2007, 14:00
Scooters, on the other hand, would do much better I would think. Only Vespas of course, the modern-classic ones painted in British Racing Green with chrome trim.

Only if you want to encourage homosexuals to live near you.. :niceone:

Chicken Coop (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chicken+coop)

SPman
14th June 2007, 14:08
Had it on good authority (a parking warden who was letting me off a ticket - he rides as well), that in some of the nobby areas around Perth, the inmates ring up and complain to the council, if bikes or tradesmans vans are parked on the street outside their houses for too long!! Day or night.
Sheesh - some people!

N4CR
14th June 2007, 15:15
ahh but they don't see the people who sacrifice on a vehicle to pay for a 30k hifi system or pool or something etc do they... not everyone thinks that their car is their most amazing asset that everyone should judge them on.
i had an '06 10r at 19. what else do you think i spend my money on? not much else.... get off ya **** and work if you want something is how i get around.

JimO
14th June 2007, 19:44
haha i have a tandem trailor with a concrete mixer on it, 2 4x4s, and a shitty old toyota sprinter parked outside my place the trailor fucks the neighbours off and my 1970 V8 falcon used to live on the front lawn, the garage has the boat, 2 motorbikes, 1932 austin 7, and a gazillion pushbikes and assorted other crap