PDA

View Full Version : Electric car 10 min charge

degrom
15th June 2007, 11:20
Who wants Hydrogen if you can charge in 10minutes? (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/9/story.cfm?c_id=9&objectid=10445675)

The company it self.... (http://www.lightningcarcompany.com/)

Pwalo
15th June 2007, 11:50
Ok so it's the same as a diesel eletric locomotive, but without the diesel to generate the power for the electric engines.

It must weigh a ton (although nicely distributed in all four corners of the car), and I'd be intrigued to see how long battery life is if they can supposedly be charged in ten minutes.

Still it must be good, because it's so green. (Apart from the cost of producing the said vehicle, the power generation to 'fuel' it, and the cost of disposal).

ManDownUnder
15th June 2007, 12:04
Me. Hydrogen burns clean.

The source of the electricity may be gas fired, coal fired or (depending on your moral stance) nuke...

If you're gonna be green - be all green.

Pwalo
15th June 2007, 12:07

The source of the electricity may be gas fired, coal fired or (depending on your moral stance) nuke...

Yep hydrogen does 'burn' clean. It's just a bugger to produce on any sort of commercial basis.

ManDownUnder
15th June 2007, 12:09
Yep hydrogen does 'burn' clean. It's just a bugger to produce on any sort of commercial basis.

Agreed - which is why I reckon they need to set up electrolysis units en masse and put the on top of the centre barrier on the motor ways - or the noise proofing. The do it in Holland I think (solar panels on the road sidings) Makes sense - they stop the noise and generate power.

It's a bugger to produce quickly for sure... but distribute the processing...!

degrom
15th June 2007, 12:55
Pwalo[/LEFT];1096787]
Ok so it's the same as a diesel
eletric locomotive, but without the diesel to generate the power for the electric engines.

It must weigh a ton (although nicely distributed in all four corners of the car), and I'd be intrigued to see how long battery life is if they can supposedly be charged in ten minutes.

Still it must be good, because it's so green. (Apart from the cost of producing the said vehicle, the power generation to 'fuel' it, and the cost of disposal).

Some more details on the battery for you.... (Picture from the site)

The motors are not that heavy compared to gear-box,diff's,petrol engine,radiator with water.

Battery's are heavy though.

Me not like H2... Why waste more power to create it instead of just using batteries direct.

Pwalo
15th June 2007, 13:11
Ahh nanotechnology. It'll all be alright then.

Still faces the old problems with the laws of physics and conservation of energy.

Nice sales brochure though.

degrom
15th June 2007, 13:23
Beats a V8...

bobsmith
15th June 2007, 13:43
Agreed - which is why I reckon they need to set up electrolysis units en masse and put the on top of the centre barrier on the motor ways - or the noise proofing. The do it in Holland I think (solar panels on the road sidings) Makes sense - they stop the noise and generate power.

Since converting the energy from solar panels to hydrogen then again converting it to move the vehicle would be much less efficient than using the energy directly from the solar panels on an electric car wouldn't it be better to just bypass the electrolysis and plug those solar panels to electricity grid?

bobsmith
15th June 2007, 13:44
Mind you, This: H Racer (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Toys-models/Slot-cars/auction-104275187.htm?p=3)

is pretty damn cool...

ManDownUnder
15th June 2007, 14:13
Since converting the energy from solar panels to hydrogen then again converting it to move the vehicle would be much less efficient than using the energy directly from the solar panels on an electric car wouldn't it be better to just bypass the electrolysis and plug those solar panels to electricity grid?

Yup! No argument there. My original thought was along the lines of a completely standalone unit that could catch rain and sun, cracking it into H2 and O2 over time.... make it small and cheap and deployable anywhere the sun shines.

sAsLEX
15th June 2007, 19:18

But you live in a green house with its own wind generator, small hydro, solar power and waste fuelled generator so pluggin it in at home is no problem..... or do you still use that national grid!?

sAsLEX
15th June 2007, 19:21

ah another fooled by green craziness. How do you make a solar panel at present without the use of polluting heavy metals?

You can't.

They are not a solution, more a problem, they are convenient for isolated small power needs but not an environmentally sound option.