PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Bandit 250 compared to GN250

Steve 555
15th June 2007, 18:30
Hi guys any opinions on this bike differences to the GN thanks. Also what is a good price for one

Lissa
15th June 2007, 18:41
Hi guys any opinions on this bike differences to the GN thanks. Also what is a good price for one

Well I started on a GN250.. and just got my Bandit 250 a couple of months ago or so. :yes:

Personally the differences to me.. the bandit is faster, smoother and more fun! Takes more gas to fill. High revving. Has six gears.

The speed wobbles you get on the GN if you happen to go over 100ks just isnt there on the bandit... its the smoothness I love, which the GN just doesnt have. (To me a GN is a great bike to learn basics on, but I am learning a whole lot of new skills on the Bandit)

To me its just a totally different bike.... and am still learning how to get comfortable and confident on it. But :love: it.

Not sure of the specifics or technical stuff to do with bikes ... sorry.

Black Bandit
15th June 2007, 19:29
Mate, they are very different animals. ;)

On the positive side: Bandit has around twice the power, 4x more cylinders, a less upright riding position, better tyres available, better suspension, doesn't sound like a lawn mower and looks sexier.

On the negative side: Bandit is a high revving bastard so fuel consumption is greater, better rubber comes at a price too, you'll love it to bits and will end up riding more often than you should ... contributing to the above even more.

Good price? Depends on age and condition of course but I recon mines worth $4500 (1997 model with 38000 km). :2thumbsup

Pussy
16th June 2007, 11:48
Shame Suzuki NZ doesn't bring the Bandit 250 in new anymore. We bought a brand new V-tec Bandit for Gassit Girl in 2000. Cost us $7000 on the road, and Wellington Motorcycles even delivered it to NP. We should have kept it. Bloody awesome little motorcycle. There is a place for the GN (round town runabout etc), but I would recommend the Bandit for sure

Squiggles
16th June 2007, 15:43
GN for commuting and traffic, not really distance rides or sustained high speeds

Bandit will do the commuting and do the distance rides comfortably (judging by GIJoe's attitude at least :yes: )

Steve 555
16th June 2007, 16:22
I just had a look at one at Moto GB tauranga today it was a 91 with 22000kms on the clock. They want $4850 for it with a $2500 trade for my ginny. It was a bit rough though. Hey what about zongshen gs 250 what are they like strada motorcycles said they would give me on brand new for $2000 with a trade.

McJim
16th June 2007, 16:41
I just had a look at one at Moto GB tauranga today it was a 91 with 22000kms on the clock. They want $4850 for it with a $2500 trade for my ginny. It was a bit rough though. Hey what about zongshen gs 250 what are they like strada motorcycles said they would give me on brand new for $2000 with a trade.

What did you think when you test rode it?

Seriously - test ride them and get someone with some experience to take a look at the actual bikes - I've seen some shiny bikes that were crap and some ratty bikes that were just scruffy but mechanically sound.

For ANY inline 4 250 you will pay a premium AND they will all be old - that's just a fact about 250s in NZ.

What makes the Zongshen better than the Ginny in your eyes? (I would rather have an old Suzuki than a new Zongshen for example but that's my opinion)

Black Bandit
16th June 2007, 17:43

Always have to factor in an extra $500 - $1000 for dealer prices. The milage sounds good but if it really looks that rough I'd give it a miss (clock's probably been wound back). Go to heaps of dealers, Tardme etc. and settle on the best model you can find.

For sure test ride a few. I bought mine straight out of the blocks after getting my license so didn't have the confidence to take bikes out for a test ride (in case I stuffed up). Never regretted buying the Bandit though. You've been riding for a while on your GN so test riding should be on the cards for you. Who knows, you may end up on something with fairings.:gob:

alexthekidd
16th June 2007, 18:21
Bandits are sextastic!

Sidewinder
16th June 2007, 18:48

ok one sucks, one doesnt. GNs are cheap pieces Chinse off crap now. the banndit is way better made and being a inline 4 it will be a lot faster.
any way dude if you want a good bike get a Honda

Steve 555
16th June 2007, 18:48
I dunno just throwing Ideas around sounded like it ran fine sounded friken good. Nice looking bike with the big radiator on the front.

Lissa
16th June 2007, 19:22
I dunno just throwing Ideas around sounded like it ran fine sounded friken good. Nice looking bike with the big radiator on the front.
Bandits are cool.. thats why I got one ;) I like Naked Bikes!!

Test riding is the only way to know for sure.. I test rode a Hyosung and the bandit... guess which one I fell inlove with.

Honestly you wont know yourself after riding a GN... :scooter:

boman
16th June 2007, 21:53

I found a 1995 bandit gsf 250 VVT on the north shore for $3995.00. That was a couple of months ago. The paint on the tank is patchy, possibly from a tank bag, but mechanically sound. Spent prob $200.00 doing sprokets and chain. I bought a bandit because 90% of my running is at 100kph. No problem for the bike to do all day. I've done 1500 km so far and it hasn't missed a beat yet. Bikes just turned over 27,000kms so i think ther is a bit of running left in her yet.

:rockon:

Sidewinder
19th June 2007, 07:15
Bandits are cool.. thats why I got one ;) I like Naked Bikes!!

Test riding is the only way to know for sure.. I test rode a Hyosung and the bandit... guess which one I fell inlove with.

Honestly you wont know yourself after riding a GN... :scooter:

yup Hyosungs' are crap, i agree with you. tho saying there is nothing rong with a 250cc V-tiwn just that Hyosung has poor bild, they may look like a flash sports bike to some but the rest of us know they arnt that great.

bounce
19th June 2007, 19:13
Depends where you are at with your riding I recon. GN would give you more confidence, be easier to manage at low speeds and is happy running at low revs, probably a bit more forgiving with poor gear selection and getting off the mark.

bandit on the other hand will need to be pushed a bit more and worked through the gears so hopefully you like the sound of a bike at 10,000rpms? bandit will give you more room to develop your riding with better handling, brakes and tyres and of course more power.

Both should hold value well but when all is said you should definitely buy my vtr250 :rockon:

Wasp
19th June 2007, 21:36
one word: bandit

mind you... i am biased....

p.s. sell you mine if/when i get it back from the insurance co........ (provided im happy that its safe...)