PDA

View Full Version : Bebo/Myspace?

Holy Roller
17th June 2007, 21:45
A number of guys and gals at work have bebo sites. Whats your take on older folk setting up a page?:yes:
Is this considered an invasion of privacy to check up on what the kids are doing? My kids are cool with this but other friends use some pretty interesting language to express their view on that.:gob:

Which is better Bebo or myspace?
:bye:

BarBender
17th June 2007, 21:56
6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other I would have thought
I'm on bebo - but largely because most of my rels and friends are on it. Its a great way of keeping in touch.

MidnightMike
17th June 2007, 22:01
Supposedly there were quite a few of you 'older' dudes that were on there.

Quite a few of which were infact peterfiles.

Ivan
17th June 2007, 22:19
I wouldnt want my olds on there

Skunk
17th June 2007, 22:29
I wouldnt want my olds on there
What ya hiding?

Steam
17th June 2007, 22:30
Is this considered an invasion of privacy to check up on what the kids are doing? ... other friends use some pretty interesting language to express their view on that.

What the hell do they think, that it's private?? They need to wake up to the ramifications of the technology, everything they do on those sites is open for the whole world to see. You'd think kids would be pretty clued up about such things. Maybe they just don't want you on there.

This is my favourite picture, the one and only reason I joined Myspace, to get access to this guy's gallery. Cool! http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=41457499&albumID=0&imageID=9719702

Dave Lobster
17th June 2007, 22:42
This is my favourite picture, the one and only reason I joined Myspace, to get access to this guy's gallery. Cool! http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=41457499&albumID=0&imageID=9719702

Ha ha... what a bunch of f*cking dicks.. . oh, that's made me laugh so much..

bugjuice
17th June 2007, 23:38
I've got both MySpace (http://www.myspace.com/bugjuice_696) and Bebo (http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=4024458396), and I prefer MS personally.. Everyone and every band has a MS page, I only heard bout bebo thru a friend

Bloody Mad Woman (BMW)
18th June 2007, 02:11
Uumm what are these sites?? Never heard of them

Lias
18th June 2007, 09:32
I've got a Bebo page.

From what I've heard bebo is more popular in NZ & Aussie than myspace is, but Myspace is much more popular overall.

ManDownUnder
18th June 2007, 09:35
Bebo and MySpace... go for it. I have no problem with people doing what they want with their own lives. Who am I to tell you what you should or should not do?

It's like drinking red wine with fish. If you like it - do it!

The reason for doing it however... privacy is one thing - secrecy is another. Respect the first, and do not accept the latter. Likewise you.

Let them know you're concerned, you've heard a lot of bad things about the WWW and you want to make sure they stay safe. You know they have private issues... and they're fine to stay private, but you need their help in staying suffiently involved in the online life to make sure they're not lining themselves up to be mugged, abducted or get involved in anything they're not ready for.

5c poorer... and good luck

007XX
18th June 2007, 09:44
Uumm what are these sites?? Never heard of them

Yeah...what BMW said...What are they?

The only reason I'd like to know is that it seems to involve kids somehow.
Now, if my boy is going to get into these things in the near future, i'd like to know about them.
He's not 10 yet, and so only gets on the PC when he has homework research to do, and even then, he is under my or his stepfather's supervision.

The Pastor
18th June 2007, 11:29
I only use bebo, cos it emails you when someones birthday is coming up....... Its a good way to track down people too, for good and bad reasons....

slinky
18th June 2007, 11:51
If you logged on and didn't tell them, n then made friends so they would tell you what they don't tell.... well.. you. Then yeh, thats bad don't do it!! join up and tell them your sign in name.

got a lady at work, her daughters like 14 or something. the mum told me she reads her daughters Msn messenger. to see what shes been talking about .. etc.. i asked - "what can you do with that information? you can't ever confront your daughter about anything you read on there, she will never talk to you again"
reply "i know, but its just good to know what they are getting up to, incase its something serious"

yeh... i don't aggree with that, i was shocked when she told me what she does!!
thats a HUGE privacy intrusion by the parent.

But i guess even if you logged in and told the kids, they'd be annoyed. They wouldn't be as open in their messages to their mates cus they would be worried you now know how to use the site, and might read their comments. Right now they don't care because the thought of you reading it hasn't crossed their mind yet.
ie - you might cramp their style if you sign up.

but yeh, this bebo thing - logon,

Hitcher
18th June 2007, 13:15
Quite a few of which were infact peterfiles.

Hahahahahaha! Snort. Hahahahaha. Thud.

MSTRS
18th June 2007, 13:35
thats a HUGE privacy intrusion by the parent.

Ummmm, these are kids we're talking about? 14 - under? The parents should be responsible for what their children get up to and need to know. Otherwise, how does a parent protect their child? Assuming the child is up to something he/she should be protected from...
Do you have a problem with covert surveillance of suspected criminals by the police??

BuFfY
18th June 2007, 17:38
I have both. I don't like myspace as much as I find it confusing lol and when you click on someones page their music pops up and it is generally terrible!!
Bebo is awesome for me because I can keep in contact with my old school friends from wellington. Yet on myspace it wont let me have NZ schools.. so I guess foreigners love it...

Holy Roller
19th June 2007, 08:02
These sites are online communities where people can meet not quite a chat site more of a personal homepage where one can choose their friends to join. One can add pix and other interesting stuff to the page. My kids like the fact that I'm now signed up as they have had some untoward remarks posted especially after a relationship breakup. (kids ay). Its handy to keep in touch, thats about all though, with my daughter overseas. Though the younger generation seem to really get into this form of communication.
Only concern is that there is too much info given out by the kids often listing address and phone numbers which is not a good idea. Though one is surprised who you will find with a page.

Yeah...what BMW said...What are they?

The only reason I'd like to know is that it seems to involve kids somehow.
Now, if my boy is going to get into these things in the near future, i'd like to know about them.
He's not 10 yet, and so only gets on the PC when he has homework research to do, and even then, he is under my or his stepfather's supervision.

Krusti
19th June 2007, 08:26
Hi there Roller, dangd www, don't ya just hate those embarrassing pics your kids put on of you! I know I do.

I don't think they realise though that the information they put out is at times viewed by all and sundry. Oooops almost like KB eh?

I always remember my Dads advice to me when I was a teenager, "Be carefull what you put in writting, it can be used against you."

Accounts for the lack of soppy letters to girls on my behalf over the years.

And Bebo....when I get emailed the message, " please confirm the story written by ....... about you."

WHAT STORY ? :gob:

Good to see you are keeping up with the times and it appears you have a good relationship with your kids there. :yes:

007XX
19th June 2007, 09:07
These sites are online communities where people can meet not quite a chat site more of a personal homepage where one can choose their friends to join. One can add pix and other interesting stuff to the page. My kids like the fact that I'm now signed up as they have had some untoward remarks posted especially after a relationship breakup. (kids ay). Its handy to keep in touch, thats about all though, with my daughter overseas. Though the younger generation seem to really get into this form of communication.
Only concern is that there is too much info given out by the kids often listing address and phone numbers which is not a good idea. Though one is surprised who you will find with a page.

Thanks for that. I guess I have never bothered looking into these kinds of things, even though I am still considered belonging to the " spring chicken" generation at 31. I'm just way too busy riding, 4 wheel driving, hiking and the likes.
Same for my son. He comes with us to all our outings and although not computer illiterate, he only gets a very minimal exposure to the internet.
I guess as he gets older though, he will be tempted to " belong" like the other kids...So Roller, definitely awesome you're staying in touch with your kids!

oldguy
19th June 2007, 12:30
Gee I got to get out of my cave more often, I still use msn messenager, still trying to work out what a BOG is, thought it was a toilet, hear its one of them new fangle web thingy pages or something.

The Lone Rider
22nd June 2007, 01:16
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=41457499&albumID=0&imageID=9719702

Those guns are fake. The m16 replica has it's mag molded to the mag well and is missing it's charging handle, and that silencer on the mp5 is just silly, not to mention the torch is one piece molded to the fore grip.

I have two pages on myspace, a personal and a band one. The personal one I pick up chicks from, and the band one chicks find me and pick me up. It's a vicious circle. In fact, a girl who liked my music happened to be in the same city as me and without having even knowing me in person helped me shift house about three weeks ago :P

Myspace, the future of what a celebrity is. haha

flyingbrick
27th May 2008, 15:36
BEBO FO' LYFE!!!! :dodge:

Ixion
27th May 2008, 15:52
I've got a MySpace page, and facebook, and LiveJournal (which sort of preceeded them).Not as ixion, though. Haven't bothered with Bebo.

I dunno why people think they are just for kids, it's a handy way of keeping in touch with people. I mean , what, do they think anyone over 50 is too doddery to use a keyboard or something ? Absolutely no reason why anyone wouldn't have one.

flyingbrick
27th May 2008, 17:18
And its also excellent for photo hosting :-D

http://file041b.bebo.com/0/large/2008/05/21/06/3952547446a7795974582l.jpg