PDA

View Full Version : Who else is going to Phillip Island?

Grub
18th June 2007, 09:46
Nasty has just maxed out the credit card, we're off to the MotoGP at Phillip Island 12-14 October!

I bet we're not the only ones, who else is going? We haven't booked accomm yet ... anyone have some useful tips? We don't need to be on the island, there's some nice looking beach resorts around the Gippsland area within 30 mins of the Island, hopefully at a decent price.

I saw one set of cabins at $50/night but I bet that's not the price for race week!

k14
18th June 2007, 09:49
Yep I'm going, will be racing in the support 125 class :Punk:

In regards to accomodation, I got that all sorted, couldn't give you any advice though. Got a mate who has a bach not far from the circuit. Now I can buy that extra set of new tyres :msn-wink:

Grub
18th June 2007, 09:55
Yep I'm going, will be racing in the support 125 class:

Excellent! ... what a buzz that will be!

Oh ... and if they give you too many pit passes ..... :innocent:

Grub
19th June 2007, 08:33
OK, it's official now.

We're staying in Kilcunda from the 11th to the 15th. Kilcunda is only 20mins from the island, I guess that means raceday time will be 45mins or more. We have a self-contained homestay for AU$120/night.

We're getting stand tickets for Siberia after next pay :)

As we get nearer to October we'll see who else is going and try to hook up ... so far there's K14 and Swima that we know of.

Keystone19
19th June 2007, 08:41
I'll be there with Madduck, 2Slow, Ninjaboy and a couple of others. We have tickets for Siberia too although I'm hoping to spend a bit of time helping Kirk and co in the pits with the 125s if they'll have me!

chris
19th June 2007, 08:54
We're getting stand tickets for Siberia after next pay :)
Err, I think you'll be lucky. As far as I'm aware, there has only been single seats available in Siberia for some time. I'd suggest getting your grandstand tickets sooner rather than later; you have seen who's leading the champonship, haven't you?

Nasty
19th June 2007, 08:57
Err, I think you'll be lucky. As far as I'm aware, there has only been single seats available in Siberia for some time. I'd suggest getting your grandstand tickets sooner rather than later; you have seen who's leading the champonship, haven't you?

We will see how we go .. Don't know that we have to sit together ;) - prolly looks like the lukey if we can .... its a timing thing really :)

Gixxer 4 ever
19th June 2007, 12:41
Mrs Gixxer 4 ever and I are going. 8 of us in our group.Also in Siberia. Second to front row I think. Had the tickets for a long time now. Yep it is going to be packed with Stoner doing so well. Staying in a place a k away from the track. I have been told the traffic is walking pace so you will have to get outa bed bloody early to get to the track. Maybe look for busses. I hear they run a lane for them and they flow quite well. We fly out the 11th.

Gixxer 4 ever
19th June 2007, 12:56
Have a look here. Some good info. Weather etc....can be cold, by the way...

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=45943

Kendog
19th June 2007, 17:49
We are going in three weeks :confused:

Nasty
21st June 2007, 10:00
Ok so I got the stand tickets ... we could go siberia but would have to sit seperately .. so I went for Lukey heights ... we are row L seats 1-2 ... so should still be a good sight .... so .. accomodation booked .. flights booked ... and stands booked .. .now next is for a car or motorbike ...

Nasty
21st June 2007, 10:01
We are going in three weeks :confused:

Just to see the pre-buzz eh Kendog :yes:

chris
21st June 2007, 10:21
Staying in a place a k away from the track
Smiths Beach?

I have been told the traffic is walking pace so you will have to get outa bed bloody early to get to the track. Maybe look for busses. I hear they run a lane for them and they flow quite well.
If you're that close, traffic won't be a problem on Friday and Saturday. Just be aware that depending on where you are stopping in relation to the circuit, the one way system that is operated can mean that you end up going a very long way round to get to your 1km away accommodation when leaving the circuit. You would be better off walking the 1km.

Gixxer 4 ever
21st June 2007, 15:51
Smiths Beach?

You would be better off walking the 1km.

Walking is the pan.
Yes to Smiths Beach. I think there will be a few other Kiwi's there.

chris
21st June 2007, 15:52
I think there will be a few other Kiwi's there.
Yes, there will :yes:

Gixxer 4 ever
21st June 2007, 15:56
.. .now next is for a car or motorbike ...

Check out the bike prices.......Too much bling for me.

chris
21st June 2007, 15:58
http://www.thrifty.com.au/

k14
21st June 2007, 16:05
I found here cheaper www.europcar.com.au

chris
21st June 2007, 16:09
I found here cheaper www.europcar.com.au
Depends on the vehicle you hire but they're all much the same.

k14
21st June 2007, 16:11
Yeah I'm on a tight budget so saving $70 or so bucks helps a bit. Oh and that was just for the cheapest car they have (hyundai getz) which will do fine for me and the mrs.

chris
21st June 2007, 16:12
$70
Beer money.

Gixxer 4 ever
21st June 2007, 16:31
Yep, but did you price bike hire. OUCH

chris
21st June 2007, 16:37
Yep, but did you price bike hire. OUCHThere's 24 of us, we're in buses!

Nasty
21st June 2007, 16:41
Getting there ... looks like car it is .. so off to do the research, ohg and ring me brother to see if he has a spare to loan me :)

k14
21st June 2007, 17:09
Beer money.
Nah more like fuel for my race bike or 1/4 of a piston kit. I am taking my bike over to race after all.

Grub
21st June 2007, 19:01
I am taking my bike over to race after all.

What are the shipping costs to take a bike?

Marknz
21st June 2007, 19:25
Yep, I'm going. Ganging up with some Aussie mates of mine and will be in the Honda Corp. tent on the main straight again. Fly over on Thursday morning, back to NZ on Tuesday with plenty of souveniers. Rain or shine, it's always a great weekend.

k14
21st June 2007, 19:30
What are the shipping costs to take a bike?
Best part of $2500nzd, not to mention all the other stuff. Might get a little bit of change out of $7k if I'm lucky.

Gixxer 4 ever
26th July 2007, 06:41
While working on a trip to OZ I had contact with Dave. he sent me this. Sounds good to me. I have made our plans for this year but others might like to see it. So here it is.

Hi Steve

Thanks for putting the info up. I have the MotoGP guided tour coming up that
may be of interest to the forum members and was wondering if you might like
put it up as well or to make a new thread of it. We already have some Kiwi
riders booked and have spots left for any others that might be thinking of
coming over to watch Casey do battle with Valentino. This tour presents a
perfect opportunity for NZ'ers to check out our high country roads and see
the race all on one quick 8 day visit.

The general idea is as follows: Fly into Brisbane Sun Oct 7 and spend 1st
night at Noosa, leave for Phillip Island Mon Oct 8 on one of our late model
rental bikes, spend five days on Australia's best roads, arrive Warragul,
Vic on Friday, spend two days at track, ride to Melbourne Mon Oct 15, drop