PDA

View Full Version : Giving something back. How to become a mentor?

cowboyz
18th June 2007, 16:58
Well I have been thinking for a little while and I have come up with an idea that I should be giving something back to kiwibiker and bikers in general.

I am a competent and confident rider and would like to become a mentor to coach some of the newer riders to offer them skills and ideas to make there riding career longer than it might otherwise be.

I think my specialty is road craft. I am not particularly quick on the track but have ideas to offer in road riding and how to combat various challenges that present themselves on the open road and town riding from reading the road surface, how to anticipate others actions on the road and generally developing good habits to ride smoothly and safely.

I have looked through the mentors and noticed that there is quite a gap in the mid/lower north island outside of wellington.

So first step is becoming an "official" kiwibiker mentor and then anyone who feels they need tips, or if you have kids who you feel would benefit from a mentor I am happy to help out where needed.

Storm
18th June 2007, 18:42
I cant ride good. What should I do?
Do I have to buy a 'orrible green thing?

chanceyy
18th June 2007, 18:49
that would be great cowboyz ... I actually practiced a lot of counter steering through corners today .. had a tendency to let the bike fall through the corner .. I will always welcome tips & work on being smoother .. can never get too much advice .. ( & still to scared to counter steer through a real tight corner)

if you do mentoring .. it will mean two things ..

1) you have to ride with the slower person to see what they are doing
2) dunna get them lost

ride report & pics posted soon .. :)

cowboyz
18th June 2007, 18:51
we will keep this thread serious for a bit.

I am serious about helping the newbies out and those who do not know the ashhurst boys might get a less than desireable impression of us/me if you carry on like we have come to expect from you.

86GSXR
18th June 2007, 18:53
Good on you Lance:yes: I've really enjoyed the rides we've been on and you'll make a good mentor!

cowboyz
18th June 2007, 18:53
that would be great cowboyz ... I actually practiced a lot of counter steering through corners today .. had a tendency to let the bike fall through the corner .. I will always welcome tips & work on being smoother .. can never get too much advice .. ( & still to scared to counter steer through a real tight corner)

if you do mentoring .. it will mean two things ..

1) you have to ride with the slower person to see what they are doing
2) dunna get them lost

ride report & pics posted soon .. :)

1. I am very prepared to slow down and ride with newbie to keep an eye and see what is going on. (much easier to give tips if you actually see what is happening)

2. I said I would mentor riding not map reading.

chanceyy
18th June 2007, 19:00
I was being serious when I said I would love to have someone give me more tips & help in being more smoother .. getting better through corners still need the practice & anothers viewpoint would be great

BigG
18th June 2007, 19:03

I am serious about helping the newbies out and those who do not know the ashhurst boys might get a less than desireable impression of us/me if you carry on like we have come to expect from you. A mentor is a big resposability, other riders will be looking to you and what you do as a roll model or whatever, get it right and this would be an awesome thing for you to do for younger and non experienced riders. Although some guys who think they no it all need to do some learning themself's look at Max Biagie he took Hargar out. Well done mate good to see you putting something back.:yes:

jtzzr
18th June 2007, 19:06
Well done for putting your handup for Mentoring ,I`m sure it will be appreciated.:rockon:

Joni
18th June 2007, 20:03
If you want to be an official KB mentor you need to do it formally and pm either Jim2 or Blackbird who are in charge of that on behalf of KB.

cowboyz
18th June 2007, 20:16
I was being serious when I said I would love to have someone give me more tips & help in being more smoother .. getting better through corners still need the practice & anothers viewpoint would be great

I dont mine giving my point of view. Next ride I will have a look... but then I thought 86 was already your mentor. Dont want to jump up and down on anyones toes.

A mentor is a big resposability, other riders will be looking to you and what you do as a roll model or whatever, get it right and this would be an awesome thing for you to do for younger and non experienced riders. Although some guys who think they no it all need to do some learning themself's look at Max Biagie he took Hargar out. Well done mate good to see you putting something back.:yes:

Heres hoping it will work out for all concerned.

Well done for putting your handup for Mentoring ,I`m sure it will be appreciated.:rockon:

Cheers

Good on you Lance:yes: I've really enjoyed the rides we've been on and you'll make a good mentor!

Cheers. Means alot coming from someone I respect as much as yourself.

If you want to be an official KB mentor you need to do it formally and pm either Jim2 or Blackbird who are in charge of that on behalf of KB.

Yep. Got a couple of pms from some helpful kbers. All on track now.

chanceyy
18th June 2007, 20:40
I dont mine giving my point of view. Next ride I will have a look... but then I thought 86 was already your mentor. Dont want to jump up and down on anyones toes.

86 is my mentor :yes: for sure :D .. its always good to get advice from ppl as some can explain it differently .. I know Al will not mind .. As I have had some good advice from other Kbers on rides .. if they are there & see something they let me know, which helps as Al may not have seen it

looking at lining up a few medium corners & practicing back & forth to see if i can counter steer through it with more speed ..

as with advice you can take it on board or ignore it .. most of time I will ponder it & perhaps try it when i get my head around it

Quasievil
18th June 2007, 20:43

or you can contact me, whos idea it was to set up a KB mentoring scheme in the first place and has arranged with the site owner the relevant system and process to appoint :yes:

Quasievil
18th June 2007, 20:48
Well I have been thinking for a little while and I have come up with an idea that I should be giving something back to kiwibiker and bikers in general.

I am a competent and confident rider and would like to become a mentor to coach some of the newer riders to offer them skills and ideas to make there riding career longer than it might otherwise be.

I think my specialty is road craft. I am not particularly quick on the track but have ideas to offer in road riding and how to combat various challenges that present themselves on the open road and town riding from reading the road surface, how to anticipate others actions on the road and generally developing good habits to ride smoothly and safely.

I have looked through the mentors and noticed that there is quite a gap in the mid/lower north island outside of wellington.

So first step is becoming an "official" kiwibiker mentor and then anyone who feels they need tips, or if you have kids who you feel would benefit from a mentor I am happy to help out where needed.

Thanks dude, can you get a couple of known KBrs to endorse your application to me via pm asap please, Ive listed you as a mentor but need the endorsements to hold you there.
cheers ears

Mom
18th June 2007, 20:50
Well I have been thinking for a little while ....

No doubt there will be a string of people who would love to go for a ride out with you! First step done, let us know where to refer new/returning riders to in your area.....may many seek your wisdom, 25/10 to you for putting your hand up!

chanceyy
18th June 2007, 20:59
Thanks dude, can you get a couple of known KBrs to endorse your application to me via pm asap please, Ive listed you as a mentor but need the endorsements to hold you there.
cheers ears

what kind of endorsement do you need Quasi ? am sure the Ashurst boyz that ride with lance all the time can provide you plenty of advice on his ability ..

I would have no issues in heading out with him to see what pointers he can provide .. blardy nice guy that lance :whistle:

Quasievil
18th June 2007, 21:05
what kind of endorsement do you need Quasi ? am sure the Ashurst boyz that ride with lance all the time can provide you plenty of advice on his ability ..

just that Chancey, a couple of PMs noting his ability and safe riding habits and general motorcycle knowledge will be great, helps peace of mind knowing that he is regarded highly by his peers, I mean I dont know eh?
All good and thanks, we need more Mentors.

yod
18th June 2007, 21:34

good on ya mate, you'll be a damn fine mentor, you've certainly helped me out over the last few months getting back into it (as have the rest of the ashhurst crowd too), pm has been sent to quasi
:rockon:

Quasievil
18th June 2007, 21:42
good on ya mate, you'll be a damn fine mentor, you've certainly helped me out over the last few months getting back into it (as have the rest of the ashhurst crowd too), pm has been sent to quasi

Cheers for the endorsment YOD, sounds like a good mentor coming on, great for KB !

cowboyz
18th June 2007, 22:27
No doubt there will be a string of people who would love to go for a ride out with you! First step done, let us know where to refer new/returning riders to in your area.....may many seek your wisdom, 25/10 to you for putting your hand up!

More than happy to have people pm me. Already have a couple lined up. We ride most weekends (usually sundays) so shouldnt be too hard to line something up. I have no problem at all doing 6-7-800km in a day so even if you know someone who is not in the immediate area it is not a problem. Will organise things as they come along.

I would have no issues in heading out with him to see what pointers he can provide .. blardy nice guy that lance :whistle:

Warm fuzzies too ya. Thanks for the endorsement.

side note.. 86 is a fantastic rider and mentor. It is all about being safe/conscious/safe/smooth/safe/controlled/safe and then the speed will come (if you want it too). There is absolutely nothing wrong with riding slowly and enjoying the scenery, if that is what you choose to do. If you want to ride quick for the thrill of it then that is fine too... as long as you follow 4 of the rules above.

Never had so much fun following a honda. Pleasure to have you along on the ashhurst rides. Thanks to you too for the recommendation.

Cheers for the endorsment YOD, sounds like a good mentor coming on, great for KB !

Lets hope I live up to the name..................

pressure.........

all is good in the world of cowboyz.....

yod
18th June 2007, 22:30
Never had so much fun following a honda. Pleasure to have you along on the ashhurst rides. Thanks to you too for the recommendation.

no worries mate, pleasure's all mine

and since you luv 'em so much i found a great deal (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=105224431&ed=true) for ya

pity tho, woulda been a fun track bike....

86GSXR
18th June 2007, 22:35
Cheers for this Lance:yes: It will be great to see you out there passing on your skills! Looking forward to the next ride!:yes:

chanceyy
18th June 2007, 22:43
Warm fuzzies too ya. Thanks for the endorsement.

side note.. 86 is a fantastic rider and mentor. It is all about being safe/conscious/safe/smooth/safe/controlled/safe and then the speed will come (if you want it too). There is absolutely nothing wrong with riding slowly and enjoying the scenery, if that is what you choose to do. If you want to ride quick for the thrill of it then that is fine too... as long as you follow 4 of the rules above.

Welcome hon ... I agree 86 is a fab rider & agree with being safe all the time .. that is why I ride to my ability all the time .. still need to be smoother, & working on control but still get the odd wobble on corners .. am working out why .. I get myself out of trouble & later ponder why I stuffed it up ..

but we can suss it out one day .. being on the outside looking at the whole picture is sometimes better than being on the bike & feeling it .. you get the full view ..

Jantar
18th June 2007, 22:45
For a full list of mentors look at http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showgroups.php and scroll down. Welcome to the list cowboyz. :)

SpankMe
18th June 2007, 22:50
For a full list of mentors look at http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showgroups.php and scroll down. Welcome to the list cowboyz. :)

Or look at the mentors page (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/mentors.php) which is listed in the quick links pull down.

Virago
18th June 2007, 23:39

On the subject of that page, I'm surprised that Hitcher hasn't spotted the apostrophe (for the list of Mentor's....) :rolleyes:

Meanie
19th June 2007, 09:32
Good on ya cowboyz, i think you would be a great mentor, PM sent to quasi
I guess the ashhurst rides are about to get a lot slower. No problem thats why i ride a cruiser, copes with most paces and itll be good to meet some of the newbies out there and strike up some new friendships

Id love some tips on riding a cruiser when you get time :lol:

cowboyz
19th June 2007, 10:02
Thanks Meanie. I feel a story coming on.

Several years ago when I was a young(er) lad I used to tutor computer studies. I learnt then that if you are going to teach then you must know what you know.

I dont think I could give anyone 2 bits of advice on how to ride a criuser. Actually I can. 1. keep your exhaust off the ground, 2. no .. actually just one bit of advice. Hope that helps.

I have never ridden a cruiser. Shocking I know but true. I really havent got any desire too and the few times I have sat on one I find myself wondering how it all works. Everything is in the wrong place.

Meanie
19th June 2007, 10:59
Thanks Meanie. I feel a story coming on.

Several years ago when I was a young(er) lad I used to tutor computer studies. I learnt then that if you are going to teach then you must know what you know.

I dont think I could give anyone 2 bits of advice on how to ride a criuser. Actually I can. 1. keep your exhaust off the ground, 2. no .. actually just one bit of advice. Hope that helps.

I have never ridden a cruiser. Shocking I know but true. I really havent got any desire too and the few times I have sat on one I find myself wondering how it all works. Everything is in the wrong place.
Wasnt that first bike you had a cruiser, you know the one your mother told us about at your wedding, the one that the bus driver.............:shutup: opps sorry that story isnt supposed to get out :killingme

chanceyy
19th June 2007, 11:30
Wasnt that first bike you had a cruiser, you know the one your mother told us about at your wedding, the one that the bus driver.............:shutup: opps sorry that story isnt supposed to get out :killingme

:killingme :killingme :killingme ... man james that is sooooooo mean ... :love: :love: that story ... :D

Bonez
19th June 2007, 16:48
Wasnt that first bike you had a cruiser, you know the one your mother told us about at your wedding, the one that the bus driver.............:shutup: opps sorry that story isnt supposed to get out :killingmeBet he was txting back then too ;)

Storm
19th June 2007, 18:52

I am serious about helping the newbies out and those who do not know the ashhurst boys might get a less than desireable impression of us/me if you carry on like we have come to expect from you.

Furry muff. If anyone asks about cruisers,point them toward "Vinegar Hill In The Wet" coach next door.
Will be following you about the countryside in a months time hopefully.

cowboyz
19th June 2007, 19:14
You think that notorious cruiser rider is quick over vinegar hill in the wet? You should see what happens when it gets dark!!!

86GSXR
19th June 2007, 19:20
You think that notorious cruiser rider is quick over vinegar hill in the wet? You should see what happens when it gets dark!!!

Yes by God! You couldn't even see the glow of his turbocharger he was that far ahead! :gob: :yes:

Bonez
19th June 2007, 19:30
Yes by God! You couldn't even see the glow of his turbocharger he was that far ahead! :gob: :yes:Severe case of flatulance I'll bet.....................

Storm
19th June 2007, 19:59
Now, now, just because its normally your old and thin tyred bike(and rider) that inspires awe around the storytelling campfire, dont be jealous

cowboyz
19th June 2007, 22:09
right o you guys. cant have me going down and scaring the wairapions on my own......

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=1101924#post1101924

TerminalAddict
19th June 2007, 22:42
its all very good being on the list, and I'm sure we feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside right now

but when someone posts a message asking for help (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=50317 ) who showed up?

you guessed it ;) .. NOBODY from the list

Big ups goes to Mental-Trousers .. his was the best advice and instruction given on the Waikato day :D

P.S. I vote Warr as "Team Captain" for Waikato mentors

edit: incase it was mis-understood ... MT is welcome on any ride any day of the week, and his advice should be listened to .. .as should warr's (but he mostly keeps his secrets .. er secret :shifty: )
edit 2: Wonder if Mrs MT is still yelling ?

cowboyz
20th June 2007, 07:00
That is a shame. but often happens when trying to put a structure in place where people are not being paid to lead. People are busy, I am sure you understand that.

We can only hope for the best.

dogsnbikes
20th June 2007, 17:21
Good on you Cowboyz you would be a good mentor...and bee great too see you encouraging other's

cowboyz
20th June 2007, 17:24
thanks but jezz. you ride the horse and carriage to the local village to wire someone to post that message did you?

Hows the new house going?