PDA

View Full Version : Risk homeostasis.

Swoop
19th June 2007, 14:09
Interesting.
Comparing the effort of authorities to lower the road toll in NZ, speeding campaigns, etc, etc. All that effort for what result?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%22risk_homeostasis%22
Have a good read - it is only one page.

Hitcher
19th June 2007, 14:23
An interesting theory. I was aware of the Munich taxi experiment but hadn't seen it in this context before.

The Pastor
19th June 2007, 15:01
Its says it has critisim, gee I wonder who from? Maybe the people who work for the man....

MisterD
19th June 2007, 15:06
Very v. interesting. I also remember hearing about an experiment in the Netherlands where road markings had been removed and they had seen a subsequent increase in driving standards...

doc
19th June 2007, 15:21
Interesting.
Comparing the effort of authorities to lower the road toll in NZ, speeding campaigns, etc, etc. All that effort for what result?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%22risk_homeostasis%22
Have a good read - it is only one page.
You know what they mean by homeostasis don't you ?. Don't butt in here Speedy.

xwhatsit
19th June 2007, 15:54
You know what they mean by homeostasis don't you ?. Don't butt in here Speedy.

<hints id="hah_hints"></hints>I do (thank-you buxom Biology teacher), what are you getting at?

doc
19th June 2007, 16:03
<hints id="hah_hints"></hints>I do (thank-you buxom Biology teacher), what are you getting at?
Most of the comments will be from those with no understanding of what "Homeostasis" is. It's sort of word Paul Holmes would drop into the conversation.

xwhatsit
19th June 2007, 16:24
Perhaps we should provide them with a definition.

In a layman's terms, homeostasis (properly called homoeostasis, but US spelling seems to have squashed that entirely) is the tendency for something to work towards a set level. Body temperature is a classic example; when it drops, the systems of homeostasis work towards raising it (shivering, goosebumps etc); when it is too high, you see homeostasis at work when you sweat and turn red.

So this `risk homeostasis' is supposedly how you continually maintain a constant level of risk. If risk decreases in one part of your life (you just bought some nice new leathers), then you will increase risk in another part of your life (corner harder, brake later, lanesplit more often).

yungatart
19th June 2007, 16:39
It's just what I have been saying for years about teenagers, without the fancy language. We "protect" them from so many risks, but they just go out and find more risky behaviour to participate in....stuff that hadn't even been invented when I was that age, usually.