PDA

View Full Version : What can I rip off my VFR?

moT
19th June 2007, 19:36
im still converting my vfr400 into a race bike now that i dont have any of the road gear on it what else can i rip off. i have taken off mirrors, indicators, lights as well as the console for it. i want to hack the subframe to bits how do i go about doing that?

Buddy L
19th June 2007, 20:51
Hacksaw? the subframe is their for a reason cut off the wrong parts and lose all your strength. Take off all your rear plastics, and then you have a better view of what you can get ride of.

limbimtimwim
19th June 2007, 21:12
If you don't want to destroy the subframe, you could try this: http://tyga-performance.com/site/product_info.php?cPath=72_83_148&products_id=990&osCsid=9885c1a25ca920523cfa925ea1ab8d64

Money though.

Oh yeah, even though you have decored the muffler, it is probably still a heavy SOB. Find another one.

moT
19th June 2007, 21:49
err lots of money i just wanna cut bits off or maybee i should leave it

mark247
19th June 2007, 21:57
Seriously, i probably wouldnt bother cutting up the frame. If you want to do it, do it properly. The difference it is going to make is going to be a few kg, and at the end of the day, you will be racing bikes that are faster than yours anyway.

moT
19th June 2007, 21:59
Seriously, i probably wouldnt bother cutting up the frame. If you want to do it, do it properly. The difference it is going to make is going to be a few kg, and at the end of the day, you will be racing bikes that are faster than yours anyway.

hmm yeah i guess but garys vfr looked soooo cool..

mark247
19th June 2007, 22:03
hmm yeah i guess but garys vfr looked soooo cool..

but i get he didnt just rip into his with a grinder

moT
19th June 2007, 22:06
well theres gonna be some fun races next week with my new fzr i should take that to the track aswell its really big compared to my nc30... anyways mainly i wanna get rid of all my useless electrics does anyone know what i can pull out? anyone have a wireing diagram?

sAsLEX
19th June 2007, 23:22
Alternator
flywheel
reg/rec
lights
speedo
foam under tank
pillion pegs

Tim 39
24th June 2007, 11:08
If you're going to chop the subframe, you will most likely need to get race fairings (it may be a few KG's but its high CofG weight you dont need), you can get rid of things like the chain guard, left hand switch block. to save a considerable amount of weight you're going to have to get into alloy parts where there are steel ones like the subframe, theres only so much you can chop off!

IamCornholio
29th June 2007, 12:28
im still converting my vfr400 into a race bike now that i dont have any of the road gear on it what else can i rip off. i have taken off mirrors, indicators, lights as well as the console for it. i want to hack the subframe to bits how do i go about doing that?

Sounds like an awesome project you got going on there friend. :yes:

I would love to see some pics of what you have going on so far if you get time... I am a big fan of the VFR bikes for sure. :cool:

I lost a pile of weight on ours by chucking the factory exhaust and going with a Vance&Hines instead... That was my biggest weight loss overall. The V&H was also a 'repackable' type silencer and was very easy to service IMO.

I also lost weight by chucking all the rear fender garbage, The rear footpegs, centerstand, mirrors, most all of the airbox... :innocent:

I shed a few ounces here and there by upgrading to aluminum sprockets, 'clip-on' type aluminum handlebars and such... Everything I could swap out with aluminum parts I did... :beer:

I had my engine custom built by Fletcher Lambert and I had a friend at Sunstar sprockets hook me up with a custom rear sprocket for mine as well. I lost a buch of top-end speed (maxed out at 120mph afterwards) but my VFR would get there f'ing rediculously quickly for such a small displacement bike... :shit: I managed to make quite a few guys mad at their bikes with my VFR for sure! :yes:

Rock on with that project of yours Tom... I hope to see some more of your bike as you come along with it. Ought to be cool when you get it all finished up for sure! :rockon:

Pictures below are my young son sitting on my VFR when he was very young and a few years later (he had to get the 'sickness' of speed first) actually 'riding' his own bike...

Anything I can do to help you out and I will try friend...

IamCornholio

FROSTY
5th July 2007, 23:36
Tom give Henri at Takinini wreckers --He had a Viffer 400 with no wheels but a full race loom and a lighter exhaust. Hes also most likely got a race tail unit
To answer your question
1)remove the speedo and speedo drive --You'll need a spacer to replace the speedo drive on the wheel.
2)take top fairing off and remove all indicators,mirrors,headlights.
Looking at the front subframe you can hacksaw off all the brackets not needed to support the fairing and revcounter.
3)Fuel.Only put in as much fuel as needed to complete the race plus 3 laps
Fuel is friggin heavy
4)remove the back seat,pillion peg brackets,lights etc.Remove indicator solenoid.Remove the entire left switchblock.
5)remove the undertray and rear guard/number plate unit. Make up a flat undertray.
6) convert to 520 chain if it isn't already
7)remove ignition barrel and wire all ignition to the kill switch
8) chop rear subframe aft of the front seat support then youll most likely need to weld a brace across the back of it and a loop to support the race tail unit.

moT
6th July 2007, 03:21
i was gonna do the rear subframe but i dont know where the hell to start and i will probably have to get a loom set up first because there are soo many wires back there i know most of them are useless but i dont want to rip them out incase i screw something up

sAsLEX
6th July 2007, 03:29
i was gonna do the rear subframe but i dont know where the hell to start and i will probably have to get a loom set up first because there are soo many wires back there i know most of them are useless but i dont want to rip them out incase i screw something up

Electrikery diag for an NC30 http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15308&d=1125915428

moT
6th July 2007, 03:42
ok thats wayy too confusing what do i not rip out

Morcs
6th July 2007, 15:59
1)remove the speedo and speedo drive --You'll need a spacer to replace the speedo drive on the wheel.

Speedo runs off the front sprocket ;)

more_fasterer
9th July 2007, 09:38
PM'd (10chars)