PDA

View Full Version : I Didn't Know Whether To Laugh Or Cry!

Slim
13th July 2003, 19:22
I toddled up to Auckland this morning to get a new set of tyres on my bike (BT010/020 combo) because I knew they'd fail the warrant. And since they did warrants too, I got one of them while I was at it, 2 weeks early. :)

Then I stopped for lunch at Dennys in Manukau, filled up & headed home on SH1, because I was running late for work, much as I would have preferred the long way home. :sleep:

So I'm cruising down the last bit of motorway before Mercer, when a car coming the other way flashes their lights at me. Right, thinks I, I'm doing 110kph, she'll be right. :rolleyes:

And the copper steps out from behind a big green sign just after the road merges into 1 lane again, and flags me down. :shit:

He wanders up to me and shows me his radar gun with 111 on the display. "You're not really gonna write me a ticket for that?" says I, in a jocular manner.

After a bit of mild mannered too-ing & fro-ing, he points out that my rego is expired, which I tell him (without looking) can't be right, as it should have another 2 weeks left on it. My Warrant & Rego used to have the same date, and I'd just looked at the WOF date this morning & it was the 23rd July. Oops. Rego expired on the 7th. :o

So he says he has to write me a ticket cos he pulled me over, and tells me he can do a deferral on the expired rego, saving my licence from a few more demerit points, which is what he does (pointing out that they don't have to do the deferral any more). :D

So I toddle the rest of the way home at just under 10kph over whatever limit applied, being passed by other cars with drivers quite happy to do 120+, and wondering why it is that I even bother to own a bike these days, since I've become so paranoid about getting a speeding ticket. :(

:argh:

MikeL
13th July 2003, 20:39
Originally posted by Slim
I've become so paranoid about getting a speeding ticket. :(

You're not paranoid. Paranoia = a delusion that they're out to get you. It's not a delusion.

Sorry about your ticket. My luck has held, so far...

One of the advantages of riding in a group is that if everybody goes fast, each individual is less likely to be targetted. Or is that a delusion too???

Antallica
13th July 2003, 20:59
Well since I got my Losers, I've been riding L-plateless and to the speed limit (and some more *ahem*) since I got it and I haven't been stupid enough to have cops up my arse yet.

But everything has to run out... but I get my Restricted in August so I won't ever need the L's. You guys should see/hear my story about 'not having the plates' .. lets just say I have it sussed ;)

Slim
13th July 2003, 21:24
Originally posted by MikeL
Sorry about your ticket. My luck has held, so far...
That's the only good news in this story. A deferred ticket means that I rectify the problem (pay the rego tomorrow, as planned) and send the proof off and they cancel the ticket. Definitely better than the demerit points. :)

It's just that I'm finding it hard to remember why it is that I pay two registrations, have all that safety gear hanging in my garage, and fork out so much dosh on tyres, etc, and what exactly it is that I find fun about owning a motorcycle.

I'm sure it's just an off day and I'll get over it, but it makes you wonder, eh?

Racey Rider
14th July 2003, 08:22
Originally posted by Slim
... and what exactly it is that I find fun about owning a motorcycle.

Time to come racing I think Slim! :yes:

... One of the advantages of riding in a group is that if everybody goes fast, each individual is less likely to be targetted.

Am I right that if you are riding faster than the limit, close to another vehicle, (be that a bike or car), you can't get a camera ticket, as, even if it's obvious that both vehicles are speeding, it can't be proved which one was the offender?

Any experiences?

PS. Here you go Wkid_one,,, here a nice "Safe" forum for you to partake in!! :rockon:

MikeL
14th July 2003, 09:20
So I take it he let you off the speeding charge, Slim?
Exactly what was the "too-ing and fro-ing" all about ???
:p :p :p :p :p :p

Duke of Rogan
14th July 2003, 09:52
bugger!

and what's worse, if you had of not taken the motorway, you may of not met any cops!
having an expired rego doesn't attract demirit points surely?
and don't the coppers have to prove that the radar gun has been calibrated recently?

the worse thing about speeding tickets, apart from the initial cost, is that the damn insurance companies will punish you also when you renew or change company!

Redstar
14th July 2003, 20:07
reading this I was amazed you got away with it! I think you got lucky.
I got stopped on the Gordingon road at Hamilton and they did me for the speed and the warrant.

I was heading back to Auckland and as soon as I said that I was done must have been a Mooloo!

Slim
15th July 2003, 08:31
So I take it he let you off the speeding charge, Slim?
Exactly what was the "too-ing and fro-ing" all about ???
He did let me off the speeding ticket (which was nice) and the too-ing and fro-ing was simply friendly banter. :p

Redstar - every now & then it comes in handy to be a "purty lady" on a motorbike. ;)

The Duke - an expired rego does not attract demerit points & will, in fact, completely disappear from my record the minute they get the proof that I've got a new one. :)

Racey - I think what Mike L was trying to point out was that we, as motorcyclists, are quite often singled out, simply because we're easy to spot in a crowd of cars. When we ride as a group, they can't prove which one of us was speeding and they will probably not bother pulling over a group for what would amount to a telling off. :niceone:

I don't know what the story is with camera tickets, but I do know that the radar system installed in police cars displays a "weak" and a "strong" signal & will always lock onto the strong signal when the button is pushed. If a motorcyclist is in the vicinity (and these radars are effective up to 2km!) of a car or other, larger vehicle, the motorcycle would be the weak signal & the other vehicle the strong signal and so they can't give you a ticket if they can't prove that you're the strong signal. :banana:

Mitch
15th July 2003, 10:45
 Quote Slim wrote:  every now & then it comes in handy to be a "purty lady" on a motorbike.

I once clocked up $1050.00 worth of fines in 5 weeks on my bike.

A guy I know explained to me one night that it actually comes down to the 'good girl' .......... 'bad girl' thing.  If you can play innocent it goes a LONG way!!!

Tis an art I have come no where near mastering!!!!!! :p

Slim
15th July 2003, 16:05
I don't know about acting innocent, but I'm usually good humoured and straight with them. Sometimes it works & sometimes it doesn't, but what I most often find is that they'll catch me doing 143kph & do me for 130kph (as an example). :niceone:

I've sent the proof away in todays mail, so hopefully they'll cancel the ticket. :)

wkid_one
15th July 2003, 17:19
Read the AA Mag article on the car laser - most effective range is 500-800 metres apparently.  I was recently let off a ticket for 129kph because the police person involved stated as was on a bicycle.

Unfortunately, with the quota system - we will be ticketed whereever possible as they need to reach their targeted contacts.  I came home from Wellington last week and was followed the whole way by a mufti cop just waiting for me to take off - bastard.  Most boring 30km of my life.

SPman
15th July 2003, 18:05
 "we will be ticketed whereever possible as they need to reach their targeted contacts"

I believe the official line is (at least) one ticket for speeding every hour on duty!

:ar15:

bikerboy
15th July 2003, 19:16
BASTARDS :Oops: