PDA

View Full Version : Recollections of a GN250E

carver
21st June 2007, 16:20
Twas thinking the other day at work…
Thinking of my old GN.
It was one of the first “new” (Chinese) GN’s in the country, got it at the start of 04 some time.
At that time I was working in Karapiro, and studying at Waikato uni, so thisa bike took me to and from work, and around town.
I remember holding it in 4th gear against a hard headwind, compete with pouring rain, at max rev’s.
I also remember doing a indicated 160kph on it down the bombays 2 up, through the red line, taking it off road-doing my best impersonation of flat track on it, jumping it, burnouts away from stoplights, I even stoppied it!
3 months-8000kms on it, and a car driver pulled out in front of me, so I stacked it straight into it, at 80kph, and walked away unhurt.
I was just thinking about selling it, due to the shite build quality.
I had problems with bulbs blowing, the chain lasted 4000kms, everything that could rust did, the tires were made from plastic…
My one had RZ350 bars on it, which were slightly lower, I also dropped the forks through the triple clamps, gave it some headshake, but you could peg it through a corner at 80kph!
This bike too me everywhere-the Mount, Auckland, Raglan…in any weather.
The 35/35 bulb sucked though…
It was a good bike I guess…

xwhatsit
21st June 2007, 16:52
Hahaha, don't get the whole GN250 bashing thing. A bike is what you make it. Any flaws in a bike, barring ones that are just plain inconvenient, surely should be exploited for the amusement they can provide.

My bike doesn't accelerate fast, or stop quickly. This means I have fun trying to conserve as much speed as possible when going around corners -- corner speed isn't just for MotoGP!

GN250s exist on this planet for a reason.

Swoop
21st June 2007, 17:06
GN250s exist on this planet for a reason.
Long may they do so!!!

sunhuntin
21st June 2007, 20:14
my 06 one gave me many new adventures, and one major point of humour. that point of humor is caused by the reason i sold it.

i took the 06 on my very first major bike trip: wanganui to paeroa and back. that was feb 06. the return trip cost me one speedo. took 5 weeks for that to arrive and be fitted. that same trip also cost me a tail light bulb, and one bee sting to the inside thigh. i also came home with one stretched chain, which jumped off on a corner and munted the chain guard. luckily, it was a slow corner, and i was able to safely coast to a stop.

the funny point came just before i traded her in. the regulator went. which resulted, of course, in the bike struggling to start, or refusing all together. i had my opening staff member not show up one morning. he was meant to arrive at 7am, and i got there at 9am. went down to another station to alert the operations manager, and get someone in who could open. went to return to my own station, and the bike wouldnt start. i ended up having my operations manager, who is in his 50s or 60s and has next to no respect, push me around the forecourt, trying to jump start her! LOL. it was only when he was out of breath that he remember the jumper kit. LOL.

if the 06 had only been more reliable, i would have kept her.