PDA

View Full Version : Mets Sporttec Vs Racetec tyres...

cowboyz
21st June 2007, 17:04
In a moment of weakness today I brought a second hand Racetec front tyre for the 9. The sides are well used but tread in the middle is barely touched and he wanted $70 for it.

Currently have a sporttec tyre on the front which does alright. Never lost the front end so thats a good sign.

Ok. So question being.. How does the racetec (Its got K1 medium tag on it) compare to a sporttec for road riding? Was this a good idea before it gets onto the bike or not?

I dont ride at race pace on the road but generally arent doing the speed limit either.

Thoughts?

cowpoos
21st June 2007, 17:36
Racetechs are pretty dodgy in the wet...being a race tyre they require a higher temp to be in their working heat range for decent-max grip levels...the softer K1 that you have will heat up quicker and more so for road use...but the K2 is a better road tyre...doesn't fall to pieces like the K1's do for some reason...this may of course be different for your riding style and bike...but thats what I found...just be carefully on damp to wet roads dude...

cowboyz
21st June 2007, 17:45
all good. I am thinking that my current sporttec has another 1000km left in it so should get me through this month. Little concerned about putting a race tyre on mid winter but I am always a little nervous on a tyre I have never used before. Fairings are expensive.

Always tricky to judge riding style away from the track. Some people will tell you I am slow and caucious. others will lie and say I ride really fast. I think it is somewhere in the middle. i am not scrapeing anything on the road so not riding to the outta limits when on the road......

jimbo600
21st June 2007, 17:58
Racetechs are pretty dodgy in the wet...being a race tyre they require a higher temp to be in their working heat range for decent-max grip levels...the softer K1 that you have will heat up quicker and more so for road use...but the K2 is a better road tyre...doesn't fall to pieces like the K1's do for some reason...this may of course be different for your riding style and bike...but thats what I found...just be carefully on damp to wet roads dude...

+1 on what Dr Poos says.

Aside from the in the wet thing Racetecs are a pretty good road tyre. Last surprisingly long too. However, when you change tyres next I would recommend coughing up the coin and putting Metzeler SportecM3s on though.