PDA

View Full Version : Departure Tax

Big Dan
21st June 2007, 19:13
As i meet a mate for lunch today before he was to fly to Las Vagas (lucky him) we got to talking and wondered why do we pay Departure tax as included in the ticket price is taxes and levies so my question is

Where does this money go?

What is it for

Why do we pay this

Bling to ppl who can help me out

peasea
21st June 2007, 19:15
As i meet a mate for lunch today before he was to fly to Las Vagas (lucky him) we got to talking and wondered why do we pay Departure tax as included in the ticket price is taxes and levies so my question is

Where does this money go?

What is it for

Why do we pay this

Bling to ppl who can help me out

It goes like this:
"Give us your money and fuck off"

Nothing personal old bean, it's just my take on the government's take.

Dave Lobster
21st June 2007, 19:23
It goes like this:
"Give us your money and fuck off"

That's the government stance on pretty much everything, isn't it?

Either that, or "You know I don't comment on things like that

Drum
21st June 2007, 19:36
Where does this money go?.....

Depends on which airport.

In Sydney they are still paying off the cost of double glazing everyones windows, in Hamilton they are building a new terminal. Supposedly in Auckland the fees are to pay the extra cost of security following 9/11.

peasea
21st June 2007, 19:45
Depends on which airport.

In Sydney they are still paying off the cost of double glazing everyones windows, in Hamilton they are building a new terminal. Supposedly in Auckland the fees are to pay the extra cost of security following 9/11.

And filming 'Border Patrol'

janno
21st June 2007, 19:46
No departure tax from Brisbane - whoppeee!:yes:

And the international airport is lufferly. My favourite, especially when I'm LEAVING:innocent:

Swoop
21st June 2007, 20:04
Simply a tax by the resident empire builders. Nothing more.

I once arrived at the customs check after passing through "departures". "no departure tax sticker... Comment by customs officer "nobody checked you - Lucky!!!"!

Damn right!

peasea
21st June 2007, 20:07
Simply a tax by the resident empire builders. Nothing more.

I once arrived at the customs check after passing through "departures". "no departure tax sticker... Comment by customs officer "nobody checked you - Lucky!!!"!

Damn right!

So, it must be your shout.

Steam
21st June 2007, 20:09
It's not really a "tax", it's what the airport company charges you to go through the place. Nothing to do with the government.
They didn't used to do it but then some business person realised there was a whole bunch of people - travellers - who were basically using the airport for free. Everyone else paid to use the airport, planes pay landing fees, shops pay rent, so they decided to make passengers pay departure tax.

Bastards! Do a Gary McCormick and jump the fence and run like hell. (but not in amerika, cos they'll shoot you. Even if you are running AWAY from the airport with your suspicious bag)

merv
21st June 2007, 20:16
Kiwi airports you pay it as an extra and buy a sticker, Aussie airports its all included in the fare so whether its Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane you don't have to buy departure tax separately.

peasea
21st June 2007, 20:16
It's not really a "tax", it's what the airport company charges you to go through the place. Nothing to do with the government.
They didn't used to do it but then some business person realised there was a whole bunch of people - travellers - who were basically using the airport for free. Everyone else paid to use the airport, planes pay landing fees, shops pay rent, so they decided to make passengers pay departure tax.

Bastards! Do a Gary McCormick and jump the fence and run like hell. (but not in amerika, cos they'll shoot you. Even if you are running AWAY from the airport with your suspicious bag)

My missus might be suspicious but she's NO BAG!!!!

xgnr
21st June 2007, 21:34
Ha ha ... check out the profits the shareholders make from Auckland Airport... add in the legal theft when you park the cage there.:yes:

Some shit-holes I have been its almost a payment to escape. Last "fine" was for overstaying for a day in Jakarta... US dollars went straight into Mr Customs pocket (literally) :angry:

Well worth every cent :yes:

Sanx
21st June 2007, 22:30
add in the legal theft when you park the cage there.

But the few times I've been down there on a bike, they haven't charged.

peasea
21st June 2007, 22:40
But the few times I've been down there on a bike, they haven't charged.

Sometimes I have to use Akld Intl A/port, the local shit as well. It's always a mish, user unfriendly and a rip-off.

I hope the 'suits' rot in hell.

sAsLEX
21st June 2007, 23:40

Ah but we did pay, a 747 paid more landing tax than otehr due to its passengers and size, the airlines passed this on to the customer and we paid.

What they have done now is just make us pay again.

Reckless
22nd June 2007, 00:26
Ha ha ... check out the profits the shareholders make from Auckland Airport... add in the legal theft when you park the cage there.:yes:

Agreed!! And from what I saw on the news a couple of nights ago. Its another high earning, captive market asset, Manukau city council is going sell to overseas interests. Well what shares it has in it! So thay can squander the money then charge us more rates cause they've sold off their earning power???

peasea
22nd June 2007, 13:09
Agreed!! And from what I saw on the news a couple of nights ago. Its another high earning, captive market asset, Manukau city council is going sell to overseas interests. Well what shares it has in it! So thay can squander the money then charge us more rates cause they've sold off their earning power???

There's no figuring them out sometimes is there? I have friends who work at the Wellington City Council, I used to in the transport division and I can see where the rates dollars go; down the drain. Local councils learn from central government how to squander money and while I don't doubt that there are some great people in councils there are some right knob-ends too. It's a gravy train...........and while we pay and pay, we have little control over any of it. Vote this council out, then that one will take over..... and do just the same thing.

Pogo2
22nd June 2007, 19:37
Aviation Security Service. For every departure tax paid a portion goes to AvSec for the security checks that they undertake. We all may bitch and moan about that, but like a helmet - its too late to wish you had brought a good one as you fly through the air towards that gutter etc.

After working in the industry (not AvSEc though) it is suprising what goes on. NZ is not a backwater were nothing happpens.

Hope this helps.

marty
22nd June 2007, 19:42
Ah but we did pay, a 747 paid more landing tax than otehr due to its passengers and size, the airlines passed this on to the customer and we paid.

What they have done now is just make us pay again.

exactly - a 747 doesn't pay a DEPARTURE tax (you do), and you don't pay an ARRIVAL (LANDING) tax (they do)

although you do really pay the landing fee, through your tickets, so........

Dave Lobster
22nd June 2007, 22:06
Vote this council out, then that one will take over..... and do just the same thing.

Why not stand for council yourself?