PDA

View Full Version : BJ trims his bum

Babelfish
21st June 2007, 21:09
Hey, I did a quick search but only found related issues rather than quality answer. Is it legal to trim about 5mm off each side of my license plate? It just needs a little extra to work into my tail tidy plans.

janno
21st June 2007, 21:12
Betcha a Mars Bar it's illegal.

Remember when card licences first came out, and some people punched a tiny hole in the top corner to put on their key chain?

Prosecutable offence apparently.

Anything to do wiv gummint'll be hands off I reckon.

imdying
22nd June 2007, 08:58
A mate of mine has 10mm trimmed from every side of his plate. He has had the bike a few years now, never been pulled, never missed a WOF. I believe you can be nicked for it. If you're in the South Island, I'd say do it. Be aware that the plates are extremely light duty, and if you cut the outside rib off, they have zero rigidity, and will vibrate and break off in pretty short order. Just glue another piece of metal on the back (trimmed to size) with some silicon, problem solved :yes:

Pumba
22nd June 2007, 12:55
One of the guys on the ATNR that had a run in with the police a few weeks back got a $200 instant fine for having a trimed number plate (its like the icing on the cake just after youve lost your licence)

Dont say nobody warned you.

ZeroIndex
22nd June 2007, 14:25
I had to trim mine to get a WOF.

Reason: Indicators were not clearly visible from the angles that they needed to be visible from, and I needed to attach a reflector.

Once I had trimmed the number plate, it passed through the WOF no problems, and I haven't had any grief from the Police due to my numberplate yet...

Maha
22nd June 2007, 14:41
Is it legal to trim about 5mm off each side

Please do it....nothing worse than those annoying Dags.....:sick:

Babelfish
22nd June 2007, 19:00
A mate of mine has 10mm trimmed from every side of his plate. He has had the bike a few years now, never been pulled, never missed a WOF. I believe you can be nicked for it. If you're in the South Island, I'd say do it. Be aware that the plates are extremely light duty, and if you cut the outside rib off, they have zero rigidity, and will vibrate and break off in pretty short order. Just glue another piece of metal on the back (trimmed to size) with some silicon, problem solved :yes:

Yeah, I theorized as much *rubs chin academically* ... it'll be a piece of wiz in comaprison to the next project; clearing the guts out of the stock muffler

One of the guys on the ATNR that had a run in with the police a few weeks back got a $200 instant fine for having a trimed number plate (its like the icing on the cake just after youve lost your licence)

Dont say nobody warned you.

Another of my theories *still rubbing chin* is if they start looking at a trimmed plate they're probably only one donut away from breaking a light with their night stick. Its pretty petty and said officer would have to be a complete tw@ (although the question is whether its legal so I guess debating is moot)

I had to trim mine to get a WOF.

Reason: Indicators were not clearly visible from the angles that they needed to be visible from, and I needed to attach a reflector.

Once I had trimmed the number plate, it passed through the WOF no problems, and I haven't had any grief from the Police due to my numberplate yet...

Probably aided by them not wanting to pull over a south african and get talked to death about how it is back home....:shifty: ...just kidding mate, input is appreciated :mellow:

Please do it....nothing worse than those annoying Dags.....:sick:

No dags on this chockie starfish mate....thinking of getting it bleached to finish the job....now, back to the bike... :rockon:

janno
22nd June 2007, 19:33
Bugger it, you guys have got huge number plates:gob: I didn't realise.

That is NOT going to look good on my Bomber's neat and tidy Aussie bum come August. We've got the almost squarish but small ones here. You guys look like you've got car plates on yer bikes.

Damp and blast.

Babelfish
22nd June 2007, 19:38
Yep, pretty much car plates, but at least they are skinny rather than square so the tailtidies get higher....if you get my drift

WarlockNZ
22nd June 2007, 22:14
I'm surprised the various boys in blue haven't weighed in on this ..

Babelfish
22nd June 2007, 22:23
Yeah, pretty much a open and shut though man. I think dont thing there is much our rozzer brethren can add

Gremlin
23rd June 2007, 03:45
It is indeed illegal to modify the plate... and yes... its the icing on the cake when you've been pulled up for something else (icing for them that is)

Technically, you are not allowed to alter your plate in any way, but, like all NZ laws, we'll just sorta use commonsense... :yes: So no-one does you for drilling a couple of holes in it.

They may let you off if they are nice, and there is some reason for doing it... but thats up to the cop.

Babelfish
23rd June 2007, 08:41
Common sense is a biggie, from both sides. If I modify, it'll be as little as possible for everything to fit, with an understanding of what the ramifications are. So many variables come into play with common sense, but to my understanding it's still in use by some out there. Fingers crossed I dont "bake a cake" that requires icing. :mellow:

ZeroIndex
23rd June 2007, 16:29
It is indeed illegal to modify the plate... and yes... its the icing on the cake when you've been pulled up for something else (icing for them that is)

Technically, you are not allowed to alter your plate in any way, but, like all NZ laws, we'll just sorta use commonsense... :yes: So no-one does you for drilling a couple of holes in it.

They may let you off if they are nice, and there is some reason for doing it... but thats up to the cop.

Even though the fact of me passing my warrant would only happen once I chopped up my numberplate?

Gremlin
24th June 2007, 02:18
Even though the fact of me passing my warrant would only happen once I chopped up my numberplate?
unknown... I passed a few warrants, plenty of cops, none pulled me up, until a bikie took exception to my "passing on the left", I got a $150 present, and he tacked on the $200 for the trimmed plate, despite me telling him I bought it like that, never had any trouble etc.

You may be OK, but this is always dependant on the cop. For example, the 06 zx10, stock undertail twin pipes are too close together for a full sized plate, so you trim the sides. I know someone was pulled up, asked about that, he explained, and was let off. But, the fact remains, it is illegal to trim the plate, and you can be fined.

scumdog
24th June 2007, 04:35
I wouldn't ticket anybody for that modification (Unless they were a complete twat and 'talked themselves into a ticket') but it is technically illegal.

HOWEVER if I was to do it :shutup: (not that I ever would or have ever done it!) I would put some form of black border on the plate to make it look 'real'.:yes:

Babelfish
24th June 2007, 08:43
I wouldn't ticket anybody for that modification (Unless they were a complete twat and 'talked themselves into a ticket') but it is technically illegal.

HOWEVER if I was to do it :shutup: (not that I ever would or have ever done it!) I would put some form of black border on the plate to make it look 'real'.:yes:

Yeah man, common sense at its best. Put in the same position, its the way I'd handle it.

As for the border, thats definately the way it'll go.

As it stands, only a semi trim occured this weekend. To do the full job, I'm going to need to spend more time in design. Pics show the diff tus far.

Gremlin
24th June 2007, 14:24
ah, I see, you're wanting to trim the plate and the fender...

There isn't any law on requiring the stupid plastic fender, and mine never stays on... :yes:

Babelfish
24th June 2007, 18:37
Na, not fussed on the fender...just the plate. Didnt need trimming on this round of tidying but the next round....:shifty:

cynna
25th June 2007, 09:43
i have had my bike for about 10 years and the previous owner made the plate himself for some reason. its not reflective, numbers are just stickers etc looks ok but u can tell its not the proper plate

i have never had trouble getting a wof and have been pulled over countless times and have never had a problem with it. a couple of times the cops have said thats not an original plate - i just play dumb and said it was on when i got the bike. i have never been told to replace it or threatened with a fine

Babelfish
25th June 2007, 19:26
Hells teeth, that goes against the odds then...what are your "get off" lines (like pick up lines to calm the rozzer down). They must be crackers