PDA

View Full Version : Gel grips?

breakaway
22nd June 2007, 00:41
Hello,

I just went on my first long ride, and my hands are killing me even two days later. I've spoken to my physiotherapist and apparently it's a good idea for me to get some gel grips to further dampen those vibrations.

Where do I get some gel grips for my '89 CBR400RR?

And, people who do have them, does it make a difference?

Reckless
22nd June 2007, 00:42
ooohhh yes its like havin a breast in each hand!!

Pumba
22nd June 2007, 12:51
Vibration on a CBR 400? Guess you wont be running out to buy a Vtwin anytime soon then:lol:

As for the grips most of the bike shops will probaly be able to get them in for you, as I doubt they will have them in stock, the other laice to try is Ebay and bring them in yourself

breakaway
22nd June 2007, 13:09
Cheers guys. The reason I need these is because my tendons and shit are already fucked from years of abuse ;)

Hitcher
22nd June 2007, 13:12
It's unusual for a physio to recommend something they don't sell or administer.

slinky
22nd June 2007, 13:15
I got some from cycletreads for my fireblade. On barry's point road, they havem in stock.
Have no idea whether they do any wonders for vibrations .. etc.
i just got them cus when i bought my bike the grips on there were fucked, and the CBR gel grips look cool.

Goblin
22nd June 2007, 13:23
Hello,
I just went on my first long ride, and my hands are killing me even two days later. Next time you go for a long ride, try loosening your grip on the bars. There's really no need to grip the bars tight enough to make your hands sore for days.

janno
22nd June 2007, 14:16
Have you got RSI or other damage?

If so, ya poor, poor bugger.

My friend had to give up her great job as editor of a newspaper because of it, and when it was flaring up any activity was just about intolerable.

If it is RSI, do some investigations on diet and anti inflammatory foods. Actually makes a huge difference, believe it or not.

kiwifruit
22nd June 2007, 14:28
Next time you go for a long ride, try loosening your grip on the bars. There's really no need to grip the bars tight enough to make your hands sore for days.

i agree
no need for the death grip

breakaway
22nd June 2007, 16:44
Have you got RSI or other damage?

Yep, that's it. My ring finger on the right hand has some issues at the moment. Usually, it goes away soon, but this time, it's been tingling since Tuesday evening. If I touch it, feels like pins and needles. Very uncomfortable.

I'm also just recovering from golfer's elbow on my left arm.

I am going to the physiotherapist though, it should come right.

She actually told me to give up riding, but I'm saving that as a last resort.

janno
22nd June 2007, 16:48
Seriously mate, look in to your diet. This is not mumbo jumbo, hippy bullshit. Just one avenue to reduce the inflammation of the nerves.

Don't forget, heaps of medical professionals see no correlation between food and your body.

Google "anti inflammatory foods", if you really want to do something about it.

Your body will thank you for it.

JeremyW
22nd June 2007, 17:00
I have the Progrip 'Superbike' gel grips on all my bikes and they are fantastic. All the guys at work have them too. Not bad for $15... You can get them at Motomail.

breakaway
22nd June 2007, 17:31
Seriously mate, look in to your diet. This is not mumbo jumbo, hippy bullshit. Just one avenue to reduce the inflammation of the nerves.

Don't forget, heaps of medical professionals see no correlation between food and your body.

Google "anti inflammatory foods", if you really want to do something about it.

Your body will thank you for it.

Will do, thanks much for the advice. I had no idea that food actually made a difference.

Then again it could be a placebo effect and we'd never know. But I'll try anything.

R6_kid
22nd June 2007, 17:45
This is such a useful tip, don't know why I didn't think of it, after having spent months on K'rd in womens clothing with sore wrists. Thank you so much Sallo, you're a life saver.

she was speaking from experience mate... she knows K'Rd like the back of her hand...

sorry, bad pun

Breakaway - i think it might just be you n00bness mate. My wrists hurt a bit after my first 'long' ride, but like you said it went away after a few hours. Problem should go away after a while (i.e more riding is needed) but try relaxing your hands. Otherwise head in to cycletreads and get some new grips fitted.

KoroJ
22nd June 2007, 17:52
Don't waste your money on gel grips. Save up for a lovely cruiser where you can sit up in comfort. Your hands will love you for it...but not in an abusive way.

janno
22nd June 2007, 17:53
Will do, thanks much for the advice. I had no idea that food actually made a difference.

Then again it could be a placebo effect and we'd never know. But I'll try anything.

No, not a placebo. I have a condition called Lupus which is a type of arthritis. Food makes all the difference between functioning really well and being a cripple.

For example, I can tell if a food has MSG in it without looking at any packaging, by the levels of pain in my knees and hips the next day. (ie nothing without MSG, and OMG with MSG).

My sister in law has another type of arthritis, and since I put her on to the food thing, she has stopped all her meds and no longer spends several days each month curled up in bed wracked with pain.

Not a placebo, because we've both had to give up the things we love - coffee, chocolate, junk food . . .

Good luck!!

Hitcher
22nd June 2007, 18:17
What foods contain MSG?

vamr
22nd June 2007, 19:00
What foods contain MSG?

All the good stuff you'll miss.

janno
22nd June 2007, 19:22
All the good stuff you'll miss.

Aint that the truth:bye:

Basically, if you want to fix your body by food, you've got to accept you can't eat probably most of what you like. Pretty much any processed food has crap or chemical additives in it. MSG is number 621 I think from memory.

It's about as much fun as giving up smoking or drinking, but the benefits are worth it. One of those things where the pain in continuing is more than the pain of stopping the behaviour. Sigh.

I wish I was one of those delicate petals who stopped eating when under duress . . . BASTIDGES!! (new word learned via KB - big thumbs up to that lad)

Hitcher
22nd June 2007, 21:13
MSG is number 621 I think from memory.

Your memory is good. Monosodium glutamate is E621. My question was aimed to see whether the hoary chestnut of chinese takeaways made an appearance -- one place where you will be extremely unlikely to find MSG used. Apart from anecdotal evidence, there is no scientific study or anything quantifiable that suggests MSG has any effect whatsoever on human health. But if people feel better by avoiding it, that's great!

Delphinus
22nd June 2007, 21:38
MSG is usually labeled in the ingredients as 621, 623, typically 62x. And often called Flavour enhancer.
I found it makes me extremely thirsty (I have to drink about 3-4 litres that night to get to sleep) so I avoid it wherever possible.
Some reading on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monosodium_glutamate#Health_Concerns)

As for the chinese... I was ordering chinese last month, and asked "do you use MSG in your food" their reply was "yes" so i asked for without and they were quite obliging :)

breakaway
22nd June 2007, 21:47
Breakaway - i think it might just be you n00bness mate. My wrists hurt a bit after my first 'long' ride, but like you said it went away after a few hours. Problem should go away after a while (i.e more riding is needed) but try relaxing your hands. Otherwise head in to cycletreads and get some new grips fitted.

That's what I got told by a few people / thought it is. But what really got me worried about is my ring finger tingling (read: pins and needles) after the ride, and its still there, as I type this (It's been more than 72 hours now.)

Cibby
22nd June 2007, 22:14
CBR400's do vibrate like anything,

i used to love riding Posties 400, and then i even got my own.. :shifty: :innocent: :D

doing a long ride used to leave me vibrating for ages afterwards and the only thing that helped was a long hot soak in a bath or the like some magnesium phos tablets that give your muscles the salts they need to relax, this can be picked up from any supermarket and really do work, and as Goblin said, relaxing your grip on the bars.

Maybe some good bar end weights may help as well