PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne shooting - would you ... ?

janno
22nd June 2007, 14:05
... still step in if someone was in trouble after the Melbourne good samaritan was murdered?

Been a hot topic of conversation over here, I know I would still step in.

Mainly because

a) I have experienced what it is like when your body starts to die so that fear has been removed and

b) I'd hope someone would step in for me. Karma is contagious and all that.

Though I must admit, it would depend on when, where, who etc.

I wonder if anyone would have stepped in if it had been a young man being dragged by the hair instead of a young woman?

The shooter was told by his gang that they have disowned him. Not a fan of gangs at all, but at least that lot knew when to draw the line.

chanceyy
22nd June 2007, 14:09
of course I would ... regardless ..I would like to think that most of us are still pretty decent human beings ..

& if i was in that situation & ppl turned the other cheek ... well I know how that would make me feel

death is one sure thing in life .. if its your time its your time ..

SARGE
22nd June 2007, 14:24
without hesitation ...

that was someones child

janno
22nd June 2007, 15:10
You've cheered me up. There's been so much talk over here about how this incident is going to change the way people help each other I was beginning to think the worst.

But it's probably a media beat up as usual.

SARGE
22nd June 2007, 15:25
You've cheered me up. There's been so much talk over here about how this incident is going to change the way people help each other I was beginning to think the worst.

But it's probably a media beat up as usual.

im not from around here though .. we do shit differently back home.

scumdog
22nd June 2007, 15:41
Without a hesitation:yes:

Patrick
22nd June 2007, 15:47
have done so without hesitation both on and off the job... wouldn't change anything, even though the media will try to ruin the norm for all...

KoroJ
22nd June 2007, 15:55
Yeah, I'd limp over and try to kick him with my good leg whilst trying to balance on it as well. He'd be laughing so much at the Monty Python show that he'd fall down and I'd have him, save the damsel, and remain a legend in my own mind.

SARGE
22nd June 2007, 15:58
have done so without hesitation both on and off the job... wouldn't change anything, even though the media will try to ruin the norm for all...

i still say you guys need something more than a stun gun on duty..

thats just me though

problem is that if a civilian gets involved and snaps some little gang-banger douchebag in half, the full grunt of the law would most likely to fall on said civilian and this poor gang banger would get coddled as the "poor victim of this horrible beating" by the media

when the revolution starts, we should take out the lawyers and reporters FIRST

jimbo600
22nd June 2007, 16:08
Without a hesitation:yes:

Bloody Oath I would. Without a second thought.

Anyway Scummy, I thought that you couldn't do anything of that nature while off duty.

Hitcher
22nd June 2007, 16:09
problem is that if a civilian gets involved and snaps some little gang-banger douchebag in half, the full grunt of the law would most likely to fall on said civilian and this poor gang banger would get coddled as the "poor victim of this horrible beating" by the media

Recent events have shown that while nobody is "above the law" in such cases, the circumstances under which a "crime" may have been committed have a huge bearing on the outcome, e.g. the Auckland gun shop shooting case; the Mokau constable "drunk driving" case...

janno
22nd June 2007, 16:10
You'd like it in Aus, Sarge.

The cops carry guns, and self defence is still allowed.

You might have heard about a female security guard who shot and killed a guy who robbed her.

She was prosecuted and found not guilty by way of self defence.

Good job.:Punk:

janno
22nd June 2007, 16:11
Though have noticed, the cops are MUCH fatter here!

I guess you don't need to run much if your aim is good . . .

jimbo600
22nd June 2007, 16:15

You might have heard about a female security guard who shot and killed a guy who robbed her.

Allowed to defend yourself here too. Section 48 of the crimes act I believe.

The guy in the gun shop wasn't charged with the shooting, but rather having a loaded gun behind the counter.

SARGE
22nd June 2007, 16:17

Anyway Scummy, I thought that you couldn't do anything of that nature while off duty.

in the States, Police officers are considered to be 'on duty" 24/7 and they carry their sidearms 24/7 also. if they witness a crime in progress they are bound by law to intervene. I didnt thing the NZPD would be a 9-5 gig either until i called them about my missing son..

SARGE
22nd June 2007, 16:18

ive been to Oz .. at Customs, they asked me if i had any criminal convictions and i said " No.. i didnt know it was still compulsory"

jimbo600
22nd June 2007, 16:25
in the States, Police officers are considered to be 'on duty" 24/7 and they carry their sidearms 24/7 also. if they witness a crime in progress they are bound by law to intervene. I didnt thing the NZPD would be a 9-5 gig either until i called them about my missing son..

There was some BS a little while ago surround the cop while off duty responded to a road accident and saved a guys life. However HP at the scene breath tested him an he failed. The cops here will probably correct me but I believe PNHQ came up with a police that off duty cops were not allowed to act outside of rostered hours. Police Association put the boot in though. Something like that anyway.

I'm sure that any cop here in NZ would do the bizzo while either on or off duty. I've had an off duty cop give me a bit of a chew over pulling a wheelie and it wasn't about how good it was either.

Patrick
22nd June 2007, 16:27
problem is that if a civilian gets involved and snaps some little gang-banger douchebag in half, the full grunt of the law would most likely to fall on said civilian and this poor gang banger would get coddled as the "poor victim of this horrible beating" by the media.

Nah... reasonable force in self defence of another...

SARGE
22nd June 2007, 16:30

Nah... reasonable force in self defence of another...

is that BEFORE or AFTER the trial?

Patrick
22nd June 2007, 16:31

There were noises afoot, but commonsense prevails:gob: ... Bosses say intervene if you have to but hand it over to on duty staff ASAP... all common sense and how it always was, tis business as usual.

Patrick
22nd June 2007, 16:32
Though have noticed, the cops are MUCH fatter here!

I guess you don't need to run much if your aim is good . . .

Just to the donut shop.... Oops... does this comment of mine count as a repost??

Patrick
22nd June 2007, 16:33
is that BEFORE or AFTER the trial?

no offence, so no trial...

janno
22nd June 2007, 16:35
The fattest cops of all are in the Northern Territory.

They've been in the good paddock up there for a while by the looks.:dodge: :dodge:

SARGE
22nd June 2007, 16:43
no offence, so no trial...

what is the yardstick for "Reasonable Force"?

what many seem reasonable to me may be "HOLY SHIT" to someone else..

Skyryder
22nd June 2007, 17:13

Ultimately it is case by case for a jury to decide.

Skyryder

scumdog
22nd June 2007, 17:18
Who is fucking around with peoples quotes on this thread???????????????

Biff
22nd June 2007, 17:22
In a heart beat.

SARGE
22nd June 2007, 17:23
Ultimately it is case by case for a jury to decide.

Skyryder

yup

case closed

avgas
22nd June 2007, 17:38
Done stupid things like stick up for things before. Would do it again.
It fucken hurts (if you live), but somethings should be stood up for.
Thankfully i have never been stabbed or shot. Been cut though.

SPman
22nd June 2007, 19:36
Though have noticed, the cops are MUCH fatter here! I guess you don't need to run much if your aim is good . . . EVERYONE is much fatter here... I wouldn't think thrice!

janno
22nd June 2007, 19:40
EVERYONE is much fatter here... I wouldn't think thrice!

In Aus you mean?

I think Aus n UnZud are running neck and neck on that one.

Or not running, as the case may be . . . waddling might be a better word.

SPman
22nd June 2007, 19:45
In Aus you mean? Yep - although the WA cops aren't quite as lardy........

Patrick
23rd June 2007, 16:04

Laymans terms... to the average normal person ( if you can find one of them...)

Did the prick deserve it? yes or no...

scumdog
23rd June 2007, 17:54
In Aus you mean?

I think Aus n UnZud are running neck and neck on that one.

Or not running, as the case may be . . . waddling might be a better word.

Piss off!
I'm old - and it's genetics I tells ya!!

janno
23rd June 2007, 18:38
Piss off!
I'm old - and it's genetics I tells ya!!

Genetics hey? Mine's chips 'n chocolate . . .

I've been following the SeaFood diet this past month, and it shows. :innocent: