PDA

View Full Version : One of ours? (23 June)

Macktheknife
23rd June 2007, 19:37
Hoping this is not one of ours, but wishing the rider all the best for recovery anyway.

NZ Police CommCens Alert 15:45 23-06-2007 Waikato

Location of incident: Kopu, Thames

Incident Type: Serious Motorcylce Crash

State Highway 26 between Kopu Road and the Kopu-Hikuai Road has been
closed to traffic while police serious crash staff deal with the scene of
a serious crash.
It appears that a motorcyclist has lost control of his machine near the
Kopu turnoff. A man aged about 40 has been flown by helicopter to
Waikato hospital with head injuries described as serious. No other
vehicles are believed to have been involved in the crash.
Auckland-bound traffic coming off the Kopu-Hikuai Road is being routed
south through Paeroa. South bound traffic from Thames is being
diverted across the Kopu Bridge on SH 25. The diversions are likely to be in
place for at least another two hours to 7.00pm.

Issued By: Inspector Ian Brooker

chanceyy
23rd June 2007, 19:46
ahhhh crap .. speedy recovery to the fallen biker ..

take care out there folks its been pretty crap weather

cowboy
23rd June 2007, 19:49
Here's hoping the rider is not to badly injured

kevfromcoro
23rd June 2007, 19:56
FUCK,,,,just seen it all.i work the other side annd couldnt get home..had to go through paeroa,,,,this was at 4.30...and its still going on...cops everwhere..its a mess...didnt know a biker was involved...will post more imfo as it comes in......

Meanie
23rd June 2007, 20:10
Not good to hear someone has gone down
Our thoughts and prayers are with him

kevfromcoro
24th June 2007, 18:15
quick update....was a biker in his early 40s.....but he is not dead..brain damage.not sure how serious.cant understand why the cops closed the road off for 4 hrs..

Patrick
25th June 2007, 10:41
SCU carry out a full investigation for all Status 1 or status 0 road traffic crashes. Its policy. Reason is at the time of the crash it is not knowen weather the crash will turn out to be fatal or not. Or so I understand.
I dont have any info on this particular incident however.

Sums it up really, its a potential crime scene. Just like if someone got the bash/killed, scene is closed to all so all the evidence can be collected...

marty
25th June 2007, 11:18
there's a few coro loop yokels that i haven't deen back on here yet - fingers crossed

vifferman
25th June 2007, 12:23
Sums it up really, its a potential crime scene. Just like if someone got the bash/killed, scene is closed to all so all the evidence can be collected...
That's all very well, but there's been a lot of (justifiable?) criticism of how long it takes the SCU to do their work, compared to overseas units which take lots of photos/notes, and get the roads opened as quickly as possible in a far shorter time.
It's kinda dumb anyway; the incident's happened, and no amount of investigation/recrimination/prosecution/regulation after the event can undo it.

imdying
25th June 2007, 13:12
Might be able to learn from it though.

scumdog
25th June 2007, 13:37
Might be able to learn from it though.

Like whether it was an 'accident' or a road rage homicide perpetrated by a driver pissed off with a motorcyclist......

vifferman
25th June 2007, 13:44
Where do you garner those facts from?
I wouldn't go so far as to call them "facts", Speedie; it was summat I read somewhere some time ago. I can't remember where, or when or even what the "facts" were. For all I know, it may even have been a letter to the editor by some irate traveler who took 17 hours to get home after a long holiday weekend.

Despite your admirable and justifiable defense of the time taken by the SCU to investigate incidents such as this, to my mind (enfeebled though it is), it still has an unfortunate taint of the NannyState bureaucracy that's spreading like wildfire here. It used to be that we just got on and got things done, and got them done quickly and efficiently. Now everything takes forever and is horrendously encumbered by a HUGE amount of political correctness, rules'n'regulations, and mountains of paperwork.

But that aside, keep up the good work.

imdying
25th June 2007, 14:14
Like whether it was an 'accident' or a road rage homicide perpetrated by a driver pissed off with a motorcyclist......Or another idiot who thinks he's Rossi, or another cager due for an eye exam...

Nobody knows yet, no SCU, nobody ever would.

Patrick
25th June 2007, 14:35
SCU are a direct result of a crash down south (Dunners way???) where a guy crashed into a carload of three young girls, killing them all, blamed the girls and nearly got away with it because everyone involved "just got on with it" and cleaned up.

An "investigation" found he was in fact the culprit, without a doubt. I bet those parents, families and friends of those three girls weren't happy about everyone "just getting on with it."

If one of them was your daughter Vfferman, would you?

As for the criticisms, one recently here came from a guy who got held up on his way home after a motorbike fatality and he moaned about the traffic delays from the Police diversions. he turns out to be a roading engineer who designed the piss poor one and only sole entry from the north into New Plymouth!!!

Oh, and the one guy who gobbed off when passing while I was doing points... two out of the thousands who went past me that day aint bad....

avgas
25th June 2007, 14:49
Shit will have to check the old man, He lives down that way and loves riding the Kopu loop.

kevfromcoro
26th June 2007, 16:14
just what i heard..the accident was in a 70 k area....on a corner ...but not a bad one...there were no other cars involved..the biker just went off the road..helmet flew off and .nearly died..apparantly the police suspected foul play.....who no,s .?? that is why the intensise investagation...have just heard ..the biker pasted away in hospital later that evening. ...Condolances ..to family

Meanie
26th June 2007, 16:22
Bugger Riding bikes is becoming very dangerous
Condolences to the family RIP mate

vifferman
26th June 2007, 16:28
If one of them was your daughter Vfferman, would you?
Would I what?

I'd be asking some serious questions, for a start!
Like where the hell did this "daughter" come from - I thought I had only sons...

Patrick
26th June 2007, 21:07
Stray ones you should know about?

I mean that if it was your child, would you rather a full investigation be carried out so the offender got what was coming, or for it to be swept up and cleaned up early just so other drivers can pass on by... but I guess you know that is what I mean...:shutup:

vifferman
27th June 2007, 09:24
Firstly, dead id dead. They're not coming back, no matter what.
Secondly, we don't have a judicial (justice) system, only a legal system. So wrongdoers and those who are wronged don't get justice, even if the trial is fair and reasonable. That's as it should be, I guess.

MSTRS
27th June 2007, 10:20
Bugger Riding bikes is becoming very dangerous

Becoming? It always was... If his helmet 'flew off' then the rider did something wrong before he even set off.
Sad to hear of another death tho..

Macktheknife
27th June 2007, 10:51
just what i heard..the accident was in a 70 k area....on a corner ...but not a bad one...there were no other cars involved..the biker just went off the road..helmet flew off and .nearly died..apparantly the police suspected foul play.....who no,s .?? that is why the intensise investagation...have just heard ..the biker passed away in hospital later that evening. ...Condolances ..to family

RIP biker and sympathy to family and friends.

How can there be suspected foul play, when there are no other vehicles involved?

Patrick
27th June 2007, 16:42
Firstly, dead id dead. They're not coming back, no matter what.

I realise that Sherlock, but the wrongdoer needs to be put off the roads at least...

How can there be suspected foul play, when there are no other vehicles involved?

Says who? That is one reason why there is a thorough investigation of the scene, to prove or disprove this point.

kevfromcoro
27th June 2007, 17:34
well just thinking about it...if a biker dies in a 70 k zone..for no apparent reason..i suppose the cops have to look at all angles...he was riding a triumph..over taking cars,,mayebe he was going to fast and it was biker eror.dont know ..dont want to post imforamation..in here that ia not sure about.

doc
27th June 2007, 17:53
well just thinking about it...if a biker dies in a 70 k zone..for no apparent reason..i suppose the cops have to look at all angles...he was riding a triumph..over taking cars,,mayebe he was going to fast and it was biker eror.dont know ..dont want to post imforamation..in here that ia not sure about.Well what is your point then ?

Patrick
27th June 2007, 17:56
well just thinking about it...if a biker dies in a 70 k zone..for no apparent reason..i suppose the cops have to look at all angles...he was riding a triumph..over taking cars,,mayebe he was going to fast and it was biker eror.dont know ..dont want to post imforamation..in here that ia not sure about.

That is why a scene investigation is done... what, when, why, how etc