PDA

View Full Version : vtec vmcc rnd2 (great crash sequence)

vtec
24th June 2007, 11:51
Well, my least successful race meeting to date. Couldn't get below 1.15, I'm sort of blaming a very worn rear tyre, but it's my riding aswell. Also managed to have 2 crashes the first of which was very well photographed here (http://www.gtp.co.nz/main.php?g2_itemId=125339&g2_page=26 ). Found the tyres to be a lot more gentle than they looked. Felt like slow motion but I knew as soon as I stood the bike up for the grass that I was going to crash at a good pace. Still couldn't have had a nicer crash. You get to about 230 on that back straight, and I was busy looking at my fuel gauge when I should've been braking.

Second crash was in the second supersport race. Think I still had a bit of crap on the outside edge of my well worn dunlop rear, got on the power, out of the first corner, and the back of the bike instantly jumped wide about a meter, backed off the power which snapped it back in line, thought I'd saved it, but the bike was still bucking and it threw me off on about the 2nd or third buck. Landed on my back at about 100kphr whiplashed the back of my head onto the ground, split right down the back of my helmet, and the plastic moulding around the bottom of the helmet had come away. Unfortunately this crash wasn't caught on camera, cause it was a doozy. Didn't know what month it was, and my abs and neck are still sore. My apologies for causing a restart, cause it took me a while to get up.

For my actual results on the day, qualified 7th in supersport and a disappointing 13th in superbike. Doing reasonably consistant 1.15's. Came a dissapointing 8th in the supersport race, and was coming about 8th in superbike on the second to last lap when I crashed into the tyres. Didn't get my usual good launches.

Anyway something to look forward to is that I've now gained a much faster motorcycle a nicely modded K5 GSXR600. Got a track day this weekend to check it out, and see if the now stock forks can be set up, if I can work out how. Might be running new as opposed to second hand tyres from now on aswell.

Attached is a pic to show that I can actually ride alright, it's the only one I could find of me from the meeting where I'm not crashing, and here's the link again to the crash just in case you missed it.

http://www.gtp.co.nz/main.php?g2_itemId=125339&g2_page=26

Thanks to Peter, Leong, Mum and Dad, Ross and Cynthia, Daphne and Col much better to come hopefully.

Cheers
Jason #78

Toast
24th June 2007, 12:13
No understatement on the 1m step out before the high side (had a pretty good view of it). Glad that you're ok. I'm sure you'll come back heaps stronger with a new set of tyres, and that new bike.

Leong
24th June 2007, 13:04
Must be kind of interesting to look at the photo sequence..... sort of like playing it back in slow motion, just like when it happened I guess. Didn't actually see that one but the second one didn't look too good at all from the stands. Think your Dad's calmed down a bit since last weekend?

........ and I was busy looking at my fuel gauge when I should've been braking.
Least you won't have this problem on the K5... nothing to look at!!:dodge:

........ split right down the back of my helmet, and the plastic moulding around the bottom of the helmet had come away.

Was at Botany Honda talking to Danny about getting you a new helmet. Just about got him to agree to some kind of deal when I had to tell him that you'd be on a Suzuki..... don't see why that should matter though.... may just have to have some Botany Honda stickers on you helmet rather than the bike... I'll be seeing them again before the weekend....

White trash
24th June 2007, 13:41
Jason, don't beat yourself up re the lap times mate. They were particularly slow for everyone on the day (except Ornsby) and got consistantly worse throughout the day. When I finished second in the final Superbike race, my times never got below 1.15

Speedsport
25th June 2007, 08:17
Hi Vtec, Glenn here from Speedsport Images, It was good to see you get up and ride on after your crash.
If anyone wants photos taken of them racing at the next round please contact me with your bike details eg Number, Colour, class etc and I will make a point of looking out for you.
Email me at photos@speedsport.co.nz.

Regards GT

t3mp0r4ry nzr
25th June 2007, 08:54
dooode, your first crash made the sports section of the wanganui cronicle on thursday, can send you a copy if you want.

good call about racing on good tyres

vtec
1st July 2007, 02:25
Yeah, would love a copy. If you can get me one for the next vmcc meeting that would be great. I live in Auckland so I can only pick it up when I'm down there next. Think it's on the 20th of July.

HDTboy
1st July 2007, 20:03
Karl Morgan's mum had a set of K4/K5 WP fork internals for sale on trademe a short while ago, I don't think she's sold them yet

vtec
7th July 2007, 21:22
Thanks for the heads up gav.