PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Trader - Women in Riding feature

Riff Raff
25th June 2007, 16:54
I bought the June issue of Motorcycle Trader because it has a lovely full page picture of my dearly beloved crashing at Taupo.

But I was also interested to see what they'd put together for their Women in Riding feature. It started off ok with a bit about Katherine Prumm (yep she's definately an inspiring role model), one of their own staff who's recently got back into bikes, and Kate Latimer, Belgian Classics champion (could they not talk to a New Zealand racer tho?). It went a bit downhill with Liz Dobson (scooter rider) who recounts the day she and motorbikes became enemies (yep that's helpful in an article trying to get women onto bikes), and the wonderful tips from Jacobina Plummer. I particularly liked this wee gem from her: "Wear pretty knickers if you are in a skirt or a dress on your bike - you never know what the wind might do."

But the best part of it was (I'm not even going to mention the pink jacket for the fashion conscious ladies amongst us), was the two 'bikes' they feature for 'what you could learn on' - A Vespa (well manicured, go anywhere style) or a Yamaha Jog.

I guess it's a start 'though....

Thank goodness for KB where we have real women, doing real riding, who can offer real advice and inspiration to other women.

MyGSXF
25th June 2007, 17:00
Thank goodness for KB where we have real women, doing real riding, who can offer real advice and inspiration to other women.

Yep!!! :yes:

crashe
25th June 2007, 17:05

oh yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Lissa
25th June 2007, 17:33
Might get myself a couple and have a look. :yes:

Thank goodness for KB where we have real women, doing real riding, who can offer real advice and inspiration to other women.I umm Third that! :)

klingon
25th June 2007, 18:04
...and the wonderful tips from Jacobina Plummer. I particularly liked this wee gem from her: "Wear pretty knickers if you are in a skirt or a dress on your bike - you never know what the wind might do."

Ha ha ha that made me laff.

I would like to add, "keep your bones pretty because you never know what the road might do if you come off your bike while wearing nothing but a dress and pretty knickers"

merv
25th June 2007, 18:45
Too cold in Welly today to be showing off your pretty knickers - except indoors.

Trudes
25th June 2007, 18:59
Here here! Fuckin' scooters...:dodge:

doc
25th June 2007, 19:00
Too cold in Welly today to be showing off your pretty knickers - except indoors.
Do you like playing "Dressup's"

McJim
25th June 2007, 19:02
Yeah - real women choose real bikes. I asked the missus what she wanted to start on - GN250, Scorpio 225? Nah - RG150 2 stroke animal! That's my girl:love:

crashe
25th June 2007, 19:12
Yeah - real women choose real bikes. I asked the missus what she wanted to start on - GN250, Scorpio 225? Nah - RG150 2 stroke animal! That's my girl:love:

You NEVER offered to show her a VIRAGO :love: cos thats a REAL BIKE.
Shame on you my lad......

Storm
25th June 2007, 19:42
You NEVER offered to show her a VIRAGO :love: cos thats a REAL BIKE.
Shame on you my lad......

You do know you can get help for that addiction? Therapy and standing up and telling the group about it :bleh:

Rashika
26th June 2007, 09:31
gee, maybe they need an influx of some real women rider stories, sound like they are running abit lean.

Note to self: must go buy some pretty knickers, just in case :innocent:

cindymay
27th June 2007, 21:06
They didn't try very hard to get a story. I guess it was a fat balding male who wrote the piece?

u4ea
27th June 2007, 21:14
Note to self: must go buy some pretty knickers, just in case :innocent:

well .....g strings(or lack thereof) give me a rash on my arse so now I wear boy nikers when riding...they are always fresh in case one does happen to seal the road with a kiss!!!!!:shutup:

chanceyy
27th June 2007, 21:18
well .....g strings(or lack thereof) give me a rash on my arse so now I wear boy nikers when riding...they are always fresh in case one does happen to seal the road with a kiss!!!!!:shutup:

:killingme :lol: :killingme :lol: :killingme :lol: :killingme :lol:

must spread rep blah blah blah

janno
27th June 2007, 21:34
Geez I wish you guys could get Australian Motorcycle News over in NZ.

So far I've featured women in quite a few articles,

Alison Parker, fastest woman at the ISDE in Taupo last year, beating Europe and America's best women off roaders at her first attempt - the S stands for Six as in a SIX day off road race - awesome!!

I wrote about Alison for Trail Zone dirt bike magazine as well.

Feminine Adrenaline, about a group of women riding sportsbikes in Brisbane who have regular girl's rides. Knee sliders worn down the way God intended, quite a few of them race and stunt ride. Was tons of fun riding out with them.

Trix in the Stix, Stunt riding school - part of that article was about Beau Rogers who got her first christ over the weekend on her pink Gixxer. (A christ is standing on your seat arms at shoulder height as you ride along). About three or four women stunters around that I know of.

One with the ed of another magazine as we speak on three women who have each had their licences for over thirty years - holy crap you had to be tough back then!! You might be reading that one in NZ as the magazine comes out there too.

One in the pipeline about a 90 year old who was the first woman to get her bike licence in Qld in the thirties it would have been - can't wait for that one, hope it comes off.

Unfortunately after being in contact with the NZ mags I won't be writing for them as they can't pay very much at all, (understandable with such a tiny readership) so I'll be sending stuff back to Aus.

But in every feature I've done including ones on guys, there's always been a woman on her bike in there somewhere! Because these days, there's always a woman on the road on her bike somewhere!

If I knew about how to set up a web page I'd get copies of my articles on the weeb - will have to wait til later when I'm back in NZ and can pick someone's brains.

The best mag I've come across is a UK one - UKBike I think it's called. Totally equal representation between men and women with regards to bike testers and journalists, and no dumb stuff like knickers on scoots mentioned at all :Punk:

Rashika
28th June 2007, 07:38
sigh... maybe in the next thirty years it will just seem crazy to people to think that women DIDN'T ride.

Keystone19
28th June 2007, 09:29
I was interviewed for this article and sent through some photos and stuff. Unfortunately they were unable to fit my story in due to a 'full page ad'. Shane MacDonald hopes to have room for my stuff in the August or September edition.

We'll keep trying girls! At least it's a start.

Lissa
28th June 2007, 09:44
I was interviewed for this article and sent through some photos and stuff. Unfortunately they were unable to fit my story in due to a 'full page ad'. Shane MacDonald hopes to have room for my stuff in the August or September edition.

Cool Jill.. will keep an eye out for it. Bummer they couldnt fit it in this time. :sunny:

chris
28th June 2007, 10:06
.Unfortunately after being in contact with the NZ mags I won't be writing for them as they can't pay very much at all, (understandable with such a tiny readership) so I'll be sending stuff back to Aus.
Money more important than the exposure then...?

chris
28th June 2007, 10:07

Jill, send it here.

Keystone19
28th June 2007, 10:41
Jill, send it here.

Thanks Chris.

chris
28th June 2007, 10:45
Thanks Chris.
e-mailed you :)

janno
28th June 2007, 10:55
Money more important than the exposure then...?

The NZ mags unfortunately pay less than 1/3rd of what the Aus mags pay, and what freelancing for NZ newspapers pay. They have a real tough road to hoe with the tiny market they are trying to service. EG, AMCN has a yearly circulation of over 500,000.

I simply can't afford to work for that sort of money!! I wish I could . . .
Especially as for a while I am unable to work full time so I need to squeeze as much money out of every effort that I can.

But I'll be getting as much NZ stuff as I can into the mags I currently write for. So "whoever" will be getting "exposed" to a much bigger market than just Nz . . . :Punk:

"D" FZ1
28th June 2007, 11:03
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUOTE. I bought the June issue of Motorcycle Trader because it has a lovely full page picture of my dearly beloved crashing at Taupo.

Yes it is a cool pic of " JAMIE McNair " ?????

Crasherfromwayback
28th June 2007, 11:34
well .....g strings(or lack thereof) give me a rash on my arse

You too???

Rashika
28th June 2007, 11:49
You too???

nah mate, in your case its the crashing that does it :shutup:

Crasherfromwayback
28th June 2007, 11:52
nah mate, in your case its the crashing that does it :shutup:

You could be on to something there!

flame
28th June 2007, 11:59

So far I've featured women in quite a few articles,

:Punk:

Yep, we get that mag overhere. I met the Journo's at the CliffHanger Hillclimb event a few months ago, hardcase dudes :). They were supposed to be doing an article on it. They interviewed me after I got 2nd in the support class, and took some pics.

Dunno if it will make print tho. Actually......I havn't even bought a copy yet:innocent: but will look out for it.

Bloody Mad Woman (BMW)
28th June 2007, 12:36
They didn't try very hard to get a story. I guess it was a fat balding male who wrote the piece?

LOL

I admit to wearing sexy lingerie under the long johns, leathers, thermals etc -

Are there really such bimbo's out there that would wear a skirt on a bike!!

James Deuce
28th June 2007, 13:35

So I should stop imagining the AMCN I'm reading right now then? OOps! Lookitthat! It's vanished! I WAS dreaming. (I've read AMCN religiously since '87. In NZ. Bought from NZ shops about a week after it comes out in Aus.

Women and motorcycles go together George Bush and clever speeches.

(I get REALLY annoyed that the NZ General Media have largely ignored Katherine Prumm. She speaks well, scrubs up well, and is competing in very demanding sport. Doesn't have an oval ball in it though, does it?)

Rosie
28th June 2007, 13:55
(I get REALLY annoyed that the NZ General Media have largely ignored Katherine Prumm. She speaks well, scrubs up well, and is competing in very demanding sport. Doesn't have an oval ball in it though, does it?)

Yeah! Katherine Prumm rocks :rockon:
She got a (very brief) mention in the latest issue of Motorrad magazine.

Meekey_Mouse
28th June 2007, 14:01
Are there really such bimbo's out there that would wear a skirt on a bike!!

Yes, yes there are... Mini skirts and heels :shit: :pinch: :slap:

janno
28th June 2007, 14:22
So I should stop imagining the AMCN I'm reading right now then? OOps! Lookitthat! It's vanished! I WAS dreaming. (I've read AMCN religiously since '87. In NZ. Bought from NZ shops about a week after it comes out in Aus.

Women and motorcycles go together George Bush and clever speeches.

Hey, cool - ya can get it here!!

I talked to the ed of AMCN about featuring Katherine, and he said 'she's good, but not good enough'. I thought what the . . .? Does a woman have to be Rossi the Second to get a look in??

I've just got a great offer from a certain KBer about hosting a website for me where I can feature as many bloody women as I damnwell like, and to hell with the Eds and who pays what.

So watch this space!! Well, not this exact space, but ya know what i mean . . . just got to work out a way to make the damn thing pay. Ads I suppose :dodge:

Should be looking at end of September by the time I move and get organised.

Crasherfromwayback
28th June 2007, 16:54
I bought the June issue of Motorcycle Trader because it has a lovely full page picture of my dearly beloved crashing at Taupo.

Where be the picture Love?

Riff Raff
28th June 2007, 16:56
Page 42. Seems he's changed his name to Jamie McNair!

Joni
28th June 2007, 16:59
Page 42. Seems he's changed his name to Jamie McNair!I will go and get a copy tonight...

Might need to get the autograph now before he is too famous... Motorcycle trader, Kiwi Rider...

Goooo Jamie McNair :shit: :spudwhat:

Crasherfromwayback
28th June 2007, 17:04
Page 42. Seems he's changed his name to Jamie McNair!

Not in my June Motorcycle Trader it ain't!
Bum.......I'll check other issues.

Joni
28th June 2007, 18:35
Got it Pete, its July page 42 :yes:

Riff Raff
28th June 2007, 18:43
Meh... June, July. I can't help it if I can't read properly.

Joni
28th June 2007, 18:49
Who gives a damn about what month it is anyway... all that counts is the person on page 42 :yes:

surfchick
28th June 2007, 21:15
OMG the article sounds bollux if it even mentions scooters... they should make a seperate article for the scooter looter the urban commute /trendy itty bitty carbon footprint or summit AND do their bloody homework on women in riding... a little someone in the f3 class springs to mind not to mention the rest of them RACING plus they could have interviewed the wife of that trademe millionare dude re. the overland trip and god they must be braindead lazy out-of-the-loop dozers:spanking:
hmmm what fun i'm having here...;)

however I'm brewing up a little art-video project involving girls tearing about on bikes so as to provide an alternative... oh yes indeed :devil2:

007XX
29th June 2007, 09:30
Hey, cool - ya can get it here!!

I talked to the ed of AMCN about featuring Katherine, and he said 'she's good, but not good enough'. I thought what the . . .? Does a woman have to be Rossi the Second to get a look in??

I've just got a great offer from a certain KBer about hosting a website for me where I can feature as many bloody women as I damnwell like, and to hell with the Eds and who pays what.

Bloody excellent...Once upon a time, I wrote a couple of articles for a bike mag, and honnestly, the Ed was playing God so many times (amending my text), that I pretty much told him to p***s off:mad: and stop trying to make me look like a brainless bimbo who was just playing pretend biker :nono: :nono:

Needless to say, this story doesn't have a happy ending...But that's ok, I'm over it now...:blink: :calm:

An

Crasherfromwayback
29th June 2007, 11:27
Got it Pete, its July page 42 :yes:

Meh... June, July. I can't help it if I can't read properly.

Aye.....got it too now! Fantastic picture it is. I'm sure we'll get plenty more of him out front. Upright next time I hope.