PDA

View Full Version : Tyre questions

Pumba
25th June 2007, 22:05
Ok like most issues on here im sure this has been done to death but I did a serch and couldnt find the info I was after so here goes.

About 5 to 6000kms ago I replaced the rear on my bike with a Conti Road Attack, this good tyre no, complaints and it apears to be wearing quite well. The issue is the standard pilot sport on the frount is starting to get a bit slipery in all this wet weather and is really due for replacement.

Now my questions.

Question one. Should I replace both frount and rear tyres at the same time to match up the brands and bring them back into phase (working on about 2 rear to one frount), and get the best benifits out of two new bits of round rubber that will cost me a fortune, putting the half used rear in the shed for a ($) rainy day, or a my ideas full of crap and do I not know what im talking about (a very distinct posssibility).

Question two is in relation to tyre choice, I have been happy with the Continentals and will probally stick with the brand, but should I go with the slightly stickier Conti Sport Attack on the frount, sticking with the Road Attack on the back, bearing in mind that a lot of my riding is Auckland Comuting, with a bit of spirited riding thrown into the mix just to keep the tyre round, probally about a 50/50 mix.

So come on I challenge you to unlesh your wealth of knowledge upon me.

Zapf
25th June 2007, 22:13
I personally will just get another road attack for the front. When the rear runs out just replace it with the same if you are happy with it.

enigma51
25th June 2007, 22:28
The makers of tyres says you should run the same brand front and rear (even same type the only difference maybe a soft front harder rear) I have done a mixture before and the only was when the front was starting to wear thin the rear was not on the same grip level even though in theory they should have been

Pumba
26th June 2007, 12:32
Cool thanks guys.

Anyone else with any ideas

DMNTD
26th June 2007, 12:38
I'd definitely put on a new pair of tyres mate :yes:
I found the best combo of tyres on our SV were Pilot Power front and a Pilot Sport rear.
The Power gave awesome confidence on any conditions and turned in VERY well.
Managed to get 13000kms of assertive riding from it too which I thought was exceptional.

The Pilot Sport rear was surprisingly good in all conditions however I'd prefer to have a Power rear too! It lasted 9000kms.

Given that I'd changed the front sprocket (-1) and rode it assertively I believe the tyres did extremely well.

imdying
1st July 2007, 18:29
Put a Z6 on the back of mine, I'll be giving one for the front a go too (in other words, it's lasting fine, and handles nice).

KoroJ
1st July 2007, 19:23
on my Intruder, I ended up with a Wildflare on the front and Conti Milestone on the back and had no problems.

On the ST, I had a puncture on the back at 3800km and replaced it with a Road Attack, leaving the Battleaxe on the front. I've had no problems, except with being uninspired with the Road Attack.

Having said that, I am about to replace both with Pilot Road 2's, even though there is probably still a couple of thousand Km left in the front.

cowpoos
1st July 2007, 21:47
Cool thanks guys.

Anyone else with any ideas
do you crusie around with ya knee on the deck all the time???? no?? well just chuck some road attacks on...they most likely have a more suitable heat range for winter riding than the sport attacks anyway...

side note...matching brands and matching type is the ideal...mixing even between the same brand or generation is not really ideal if your even care a little bit about performance of your tyres... there will be shit loads of people that will argue with me...and carry on about this and that... but the facts are... tyres even a batch apart from each other can have slightly different spec's...let alone different tyres,even if they are made at the same factory...which alot of the time they arn't...

White trash
2nd July 2007, 04:24
tyres even a batch apart from each other can have slightly different spec's

The problem you'll run into there, is that some bike shops might sell six rear tyres to one front in any particular model. They might only hold three rear tyres in stock at any one time. See where I'm going?

kiwifruit
2nd July 2007, 08:01
Matching pilot powers or m3s, anything else is a compromise

Pumba
2nd July 2007, 08:25
do you crusie around with ya knee on the deck all the time????

I would like to think I do but in reality my knee sliders have never been used in anger.

Will probally throw a set of road attacks on at this stage, cause although I consider myself not to bad (I wouldnt say I am wounderfull either) a rider I dont believe that I have ever pushed my past sport touring tyre to a point anywere near its limits, so im not going to get the benifits from a sport tyre that is softer and there is a good chance that it will wear out quicker, god knows I spend enough of my pay check on the bike anyways.

imdying
2nd July 2007, 13:45
Matching pilot powers or m3s, anything else is a compromiseEven those are a compromise... in fact, every tyre is.

kiwifruit
2nd July 2007, 13:49
i should have said:

anything else is a grip compromise, especially in the wet / cold

dogsnbikes
2nd July 2007, 14:03
I have pilot power front and rear and I am getting the miles I expected from them about 6-7000 for the rear will be replacing both soon and keeping with the pilot range,and I expect too be changing tyer's every 5-6 months

Pumba
2nd July 2007, 15:00
I expect too be changing tyer's every 5-6 months

That would be nice only forking out tyre money twice a year, but with the riding I have done and what ive got comming looks like I should put 20,000km in its first year.

dogsnbikes
2nd July 2007, 15:06
That would be nice only forking out tyre money twice a year, but with the riding I have done and what ive got comming looks like I should put 20,000km in its first year.

does answer the question that every riders needs are different.........:yes:

and comes down to what you are happy with on your bike

babyblade250rr
2nd July 2007, 15:23
has anyone had experience with dunlop k510 series tyres??? what are the suitable for how do they perform in the wet, do they take long to heat up etc....????

pritch
3rd July 2007, 10:23
side note...matching brands and matching type is the ideal...mixing even between the same brand or generation is not really ideal if your even care a little bit about performance of your tyres... there will be shit loads of people that will argue with me...

No argument from me, that's exactly right. And as you say the sport touring tyres are usually better suited to winter riding than sport tyres.

sugilite
9th July 2007, 21:59
The conti attacks should do you just fine. It's nice to have a matched set, but not a huge problem if they are not in my book. :yes:

I have used a dizzying array of tyre combos on my 750 (for some reason my tyre life seems to be measured in just a ride or two) :shit:

The only bad combo I found was a hand grooved pirelli slick matched to a 190 dunlop sportmax I got while dumpster diving at the local bike shop. The bike hunted around a bit and would not hold lines that well.

My current tyres are a hand grooved 120 dunlop slick on the front and a hand grooved Dunlop 195 slick on the back (can fit it now my chain has stretched a little, the 195 rubbed on the swing arm when expanding when it got hot b4 that!) , surprisingly it has good turn in and unlimited side grip! :Punk: