PDA

View Full Version : Dam its cold!

Redstar
14th July 2003, 19:43
I've got me thermals and the scarf out leathers yep! boots sussed but me finger tips were a problem. but the key to warm finger tips is to insulate your wrists. thats why fingerless gloves are good for work. if you can cover the vein that carries blood to the hands your finger tips will stay alive. so pull your jersey out of your leathers to half cover your hands before you pull on your gloves. I know this sound like naff advice but good gloves are no good if you have a gap at the wrists.

Yamahamaman
14th July 2003, 20:42
Ahem. What you need is electrically heated vest and gloves. A must for the cold mornings. I arrive at work 'toasty warm'. :niceone:

MikeL
14th July 2003, 20:59
And two pairs of woollen socks...

Antallica
14th July 2003, 22:12
These $15 gloves from Farmers just seemed so damn good.... but they are pathetic on cold days.

Motoracer
14th July 2003, 22:22
Even the new pair of race gloves that I spent a fair bit of money on are just as bad in the cold. The sales man was trying to sell me a nice and warm pair of gortex gloves but I went for the looks not practicality. For that I now have to bare the next few months of cold harsh winter.

:argh:

SPman
15th July 2003, 07:50
The trouble with the nice warm toasty waterproof gloves is that they feel as if they cast in one piece and your fingers are 4 inches thick - I cannt ride in the damn things - no feel! Ive tried polyprop liners, work well when you arent moving,but over the Desert Rd in winter, they arent really a success and tend to bulk up your hands as well, so......yamahamaman - whats the go with the electric gloves?

Slim
15th July 2003, 08:34
Merino thermal stuff is definitely the way to go, especially if you're in a well fitting 1 or 2-piece set of leathers. :)

Hoon
15th July 2003, 10:08
Yes I prefer loose thin summer gloves that are easy to get on and off.  I'm pretty hard so don't really need anything else for the cold days *cough* but if no one's looking I'll wear a pair of fleece gloves underneath as well :)

Coldkiwi
15th July 2003, 13:14
The other trick is to START with warm hands!

I leave my gloves (Spidi Hypers.. warm but not too bulky) in the Hot water cupboard with my glove inners ($10 polypro's from pack n pedal.. best investment ever!) over night to keep the chill off them so they're skin temperature when I put them on.

The other trick is to push your bike around a little bit (the heavier the better) with all your gear on before you pull out. That'll warm everything up quite quickly if you're exerting yourself and warm you nicely!

I agree.. loose summer gloves are nicer.. but not when it means loosing fingers to frost bite!!

Motu
15th July 2003, 15:39
Yeah,it's a shame kick starters are not in fashion anymore - getting a high comp British single going in the morning was a sure way to get warm all over! Can't stand thick winter gloves,I just can't ride in them.Carry them - use them at the begining or end of a ride when it's cold.

Yamahamaman
15th July 2003, 16:42
Originally posted by SPman
so......yamahamaman - whats the go with the electric gloves?
They are a thinsulate glove with heating wire inside.
www.widder.com I purchased my set from Wellington Motorocycles - I think that is what they are called anyway a big shop in Kent Terrace.

ducati996
15th July 2003, 23:09
Believe it or not, its around 80 degs here in England today.

Its not often we get to be hotter than the Kiwis:p

ducati996