PDA

View Full Version : Stuntbike: FZR400 Tail...

ZeroIndex
27th June 2007, 08:02
Hey fellow stunters... got my 54 tooth rear sprocket now, and wheelies are a lot easier to get up, and I'm having loads of fun :)

Problems that I have found though: I'm getting better at keeping the front up and even though I've had the bike very far up (close to scraping the tail-light), I haven't seemed to find balance point yet...

Pretty much all my wheelies so far are sitting down, as my bike being the FZR400RSP, it has the horrible tail that sits quite high at the back which really gets in the way... I'm gonna be chucking a crash cage and a 12 o'clock bar on the little beast when I have money again (hopefully in 2 months), and I'm just trying to get some advice on what I should do about the tail section as it is at the moment (chopping it up etc tips/advice)

*Here's a some pics of the tail of my bike, if someone knows how to fiddle with photoshop or something if they can give me some rough examples?

mark247
27th June 2007, 09:22
Here are a few fantastic ideas i photoshopped up.

haha but, yeah, seriously, you could probably take that rear plastic off and modify it with a grinder and some fibre glass. If you made a decent mold on it out of cardboard or osmething ( i know this sounds rough ) you could probably fibreglass over it easily enough and do an alright job. You will need to have a good muck around with the fibreglass first.

moT
27th June 2007, 18:59
Dude give me a weilder a grinder and some metal and i will make you one for half price! it may look tacky but it will do the job as for your fearing just use concrete tape its the best tape to use better than duct tape:shit:

ZeroIndex
27th June 2007, 19:46
Dude give me a weilder a grinder and some metal and i will make you one for half price! it may look tacky but it will do the job as for your fearing just use concrete tape its the best tape to use better than duct tape:shit:

Cool... sounds like a plan :p

BTW: I don't have any fairing on the bike anymore...
Am starting to think to make it stronger etc, might be better to rip the rear off and rebuild the rear subframe with a 12bar on it as opposed to mounting a 12bar seperately onto the rear subframe...

...now I just gotta get some money together...

moT
27th June 2007, 20:07
Cool... sounds like a plan :p

BTW: I don't have any fairing on the bike anymore...
Am starting to think to make it stronger etc, might be better to rip the rear off and rebuild the rear subframe with a 12bar on it as opposed to mounting a 12bar seperately onto the rear subframe...

...now I just gotta get some money together...

not a bad idea just make your own subframe just make sure all mounts are the same for the vital bits and add a grind bar... mean! it would be wayy stronger.

ZeroIndex
28th June 2007, 11:57
Still trying to think of the easiest way to chop up my tailsection with as little work as possible... One of the things that is annoying is not having rear footpegs which would help with the whole standup wheelie thingy, and probably almost eliminate the tail chop at the same time...

Argh, this is so frustrating...

mark247
28th June 2007, 12:07
Still trying to think of the easiest way to chop up my tailsection with as little work as possible... One of the things that is annoying is not having rear footpegs which would help with the whole standup wheelie thingy, and probably almost eliminate the tail chop at the same time...

lucky for me i do have rear footpegs and an article on how to make a FZR400 into a F3 race weapon... which includes a bit on how to chop up the rear part of the frame to make it lighter and stuff...

Kflasher
28th June 2007, 12:24
Hey fellow stunters... got my 54 tooth rear sprocket now, and wheelies are a lot easier to get up, and I'm having loads of fun :).........my bike being the FZR400RSP and I'm just trying to get some advice on what I should do about the tail section as it is at the moment (chopping it up etc tips/advice)

Hey dude I have the same bike I have chopped at the rear subframe to do a single seater with a wheelie bar at back (unfinished), I have found a few issues with mounting the exup and electrics.
I will do some photos tonight to show you what I have done... I am thinking it may not have been the best Idea.

I am also looking for a rear axle....

ghostrider
28th June 2007, 14:36
grader blade saw horses all round:yes: learn to scrape it raw 1st then put a 12 bar on

ZeroIndex
28th June 2007, 14:56
Hey dude I have the same bike I have chopped at the rear subframe to do a single seater with a wheelie bar at back (unfinished), I have found a few issues with mounting the exup and electrics.
I will do some photos tonight to show you what I have done... I am thinking it may not have been the best Idea.

I am also looking for a rear axle....

yeah, I'm thinking of modifying the tail 'hump' to make it shorter and to have a hole-style foot rest area like this (SEE PICTURES) + the 12 bar (which by the looks of it on deciding where it's gonna be for 12 square, is exactly where my tail-light is :shit:

ZeroIndex
28th June 2007, 14:58
lucky for me i do have rear footpegs and an article on how to make a FZR400 into a F3 race weapon... which includes a bit on how to chop up the rear part of the frame to make it lighter and stuff...

Another trick for turning the FZR400 into an F3 Race Weapon is dropping from 15/41 to 14/41 with sprockets, but I'm not after a race weapon, so I got a big chunky 54 tooth rear instead :D

Kflasher
29th June 2007, 07:24
yeah, I'm thinking of modifying the tail 'hump' to make it shorter and to have a hole-style foot rest area like this (SEE PICTURES) + the 12 bar (which by the looks of it on deciding where it's gonna be for 12 square, is exactly where my tail-light is :shit:

Hey can't upload images from work, but basiclly cut rear frame off at seat catch, cut lower rails and raised up to mate with upper rails.
I have tried to attach a pdf.

Drew
5th July 2007, 19:06
Hey can't upload images from work, but basiclly cut rear frame off at seat catch, cut lower rails and raised up to mate with upper rails.
I have tried to attach a pdf.

I did this to my FZR 400, there is a thread around here somewhere, I'm sure a geek could put a link up.

It's incredibly hard to get on the ground, and mine was about a half past ten bar!

GRs comment about draggin the number plate is a good one here, a cock up with a solid twelve bar would create quite a nasty grab effect, where a number plate gives a bit, so it's saveable.

ZeroIndex
5th July 2007, 19:27
Found them... you got any more detailed pics of how it actually bolts on/attaches to the subframe?

Drew
5th July 2007, 20:12
Found them... you got any more detailed pics of how it actually bolts on/attaches to the subframe?

In the puter somewhere I probably do, but I'll need a geek to come resize them and shit.

Kflasher
6th July 2007, 07:17
I did this to my FZR 400, there is a thread around here somewhere, I'm sure a geek could put a link up.

It's incredibly hard to get on the ground, and mine was about a half past ten bar!

GRs comment about draggin the number plate is a good one here, a cock up with a solid twelve bar would create quite a nasty grab effect, where a number plate gives a bit, so it's saveable.

Dude just seen your images of your mods... now thats got me thinking.
Was that a steel tank you had on yours? mine is the plastic one which I am a bit dubious about standing on (when I get there that is).

sAsLEX
6th July 2007, 07:28

think you mentioned it after quoting this but just stand on the 12 bar, or add some foot peg things on the side of your new rear end

Drew
6th July 2007, 17:36
Was that a steel tank you had on yours? mine is the plastic one which I am a bit dubious about standing on (when I get there that is).

Mine was plastic tank, but other than the night I got it going and flipped it, I pretty much didn't try any real stunts on it.

The biggest part of learnin to scrape, is not the bar, it's getting the hang of using the rear brake, rather than the throttle to balance the bike.

Practice that first, hack your bike up later.

ZeroIndex
6th July 2007, 18:17
Mine's aluminum, but after careful looking at how it's designed with the tank (spacing), I've decided I can't dent the cover cause the petrol cap/lid is too far back :(

I'm busy trying to find out how to rig up one of those throttle pin-lock/cruise control thingies so I can practice things that require throttle, but without using your hand...

moT
6th July 2007, 19:26
hows the bike comeing along?

ZeroIndex
6th July 2007, 19:35
hows the bike comeing along?
Haven't done anything new yet... and haven't got any practice in either since it's been almost constantly raining :(

sAsLEX
6th July 2007, 21:14
Old choke lever on the bars to adjust idle would be idea, then you can do it on the fly.

Also a thumb/another lever for the rear brake so standing off the pegs you still have the rear brake. Though Death doesn't use the rear brake from what I have seen and he aint to shabby at lofting the front.......:yes:

ZeroIndex
7th July 2007, 00:29
Old choke lever on the bars to adjust idle would be idea, then you can do it on the fly.

Also a thumb/another lever for the rear brake so standing off the pegs you still have the rear brake. Though Death doesn't use the rear brake from what I have seen and he aint to shabby at lofting the front.......:yes:
When I eventually get comfortably past balance point and to a stage when I don't have my right foot on the footpeg (on the tail, etc), I'll look into getting a professional handbrake

Jog-Insanity
13th July 2007, 05:18
Hey fellow stunters... got my 54 tooth rear sprocket now, and wheelies are a lot easier to get up, and I'm having loads of fun :)

Problems that I have found though: I'm getting better at keeping the front up and even though I've had the bike very far up (close to scraping the tail-light), I haven't seemed to find balance point yet...

Pretty much all my wheelies so far are sitting down, as my bike being the FZR400RSP, it has the horrible tail that sits quite high at the back which really gets in the way... I'm gonna be chucking a crash cage and a 12 o'clock bar on the little beast when I have money again (hopefully in 2 months), and I'm just trying to get some advice on what I should do about the tail section as it is at the moment (chopping it up etc tips/advice)

*Here's a some pics of the tail of my bike, if someone knows how to fiddle with photoshop or something if they can give me some rough examples?

your wheelies are like 20 cm off the ground, go back to stunt school n00b!
sell that gay yamaha too...

Kflasher
13th July 2007, 07:14
haha I thought I was doing so well.... then my wife watching said I was only getting 1 and half "Barbies" high...WTF! I thought I was about to flip the thing.

And for those wondering a "Barbie" doll is 11 inches tall.

ZeroIndex
13th July 2007, 09:03
Shutup you damn emo...

0arbreaka
24th July 2007, 23:16

and hondas are not gay??