PDA

View Full Version : South Island ride report

Blackbird
27th June 2007, 08:13
Well at last we've got off our butts and done a proper write-up of the South Island tour that four of us KB'ers did in March with a couple of our partners. Jantar thought that we should post it on KB as it might have wider interest than just us reading it on cold nights through the winter! For anyone who hasn't toured down south yet, perhaps the ride report will encourage others to get down there. It's hard to think of a finer place in the world to ride a bike with the stunning scenery, empty roads and friendly locals. Mind you, with the often long distances between population centres, it can be a scary place to strike trouble - as I did!

It was also great to meet up with other well-known KB'ers en route.

It's a fairly big file because of all the photos so I've broken it into 3 sections.

Cheers

Geoff

Blackbird
27th June 2007, 08:13
and part 2 of the story....

Blackbird
27th June 2007, 08:14
And the final part.......

Kinje
27th June 2007, 09:42
Awesome write up. I've only read the 1st piece so far and looking forward to taking some time to read the rest.

Spectacular scenery and roads down there. I recently spent a couple of weeks down there cruising around, so reading your report is refreshing my memories.

Going to have to do it again in the summer so hopefully can have clearer weather, and get through the Haast Pass and see the glaciers.

Cheers

janno
27th June 2007, 19:20
Thanks for the write up guys - that was very inspiring to read, must have been fun.

Now to find out more about returning one-way hire bikes . . .:innocent:

Jantar
27th June 2007, 22:04
A great report Geoff, I loved reading it. And some nice pics as well. :yes:

merv
28th June 2007, 08:13
Yeah great write up and isn't the South Island so fantastic for riding and great for KBer's to get together.

Blackbird
28th June 2007, 08:36
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I think we all appreciate the south island and its people for what it is, but it's still a huge buzz to see the place through the eyes of overseas tourists. The UK Blackbird rider we met in Picton made a glowing report on their website. The thing that got to me most was his comment that he found Kiwis incredibly friendly and generous with their help, but that he didn't realise just how good they were until he arrived back in the UK and got hit with the contrast! I agree with his sentiments.:rockon:

shafty
28th June 2007, 14:09
Gidday Geoff, - a great story, really well written, thanks for sharing! What a great way to see the SI, - in a group like that, and getting amongst the touristy stuff too, makes me most envious as we descend in to winter! Saw your article in Red Riders, along side my leaky ST1300 tale, good to see you still had a blast

Well done

Pete:Punk:

Blackbird
28th June 2007, 14:46
Gidday Pete and thanks for the compliment!

I wondered if that was a KB'er in Red Riders! What a small world and what fantastic service you got with your problems down south too. They really are top people down there. Winter is right, 6 degrees in Tokoroa today:shutup: Writing the story to re-read through winter with a glass of port in front of the fire was one of the main reasons!

Don't suppose it was you at the recent Okoroire Pub ride-in wearing the '07 Southern Cross shirt was it?

Cheers

Geoff

shafty
28th June 2007, 14:56
Gidday Pete and thanks for the compliment!

I wondered if that was a KB'er in Red Riders! What a small world and what fantastic service you got with your problems down south too. They really are top people down there. Winter is right, 6 degrees in Tokoroa today:shutup: Writing the story to re-read through winter with a glass of port in front of the fire was one of the main reasons!

Don't suppose it was you at the recent Okoroire Pub ride-in wearing the '07 Southern Cross shirt was it?

Cheers

Geoff

No it wasn't me Mate, I was hoping to get there on the ride Cajun organised but I got way laid. Next time you are riding that way let me know, it is a fav ride for us. I spent some riding and imbibing time in Jantars company on the SX this year, an added point of interest in your article.

oldrider
28th June 2007, 16:46
Great write-up Geoff, hey do you realise that you were only twenty five minutes away from my place when you broke down at Twizel!

I may have been able to save you a lot of bother. :yes: Cheers John.

Blackbird
28th June 2007, 17:45
Great write-up Geoff, hey do you realise that you were only twenty five minutes away from my place when you broke down at Twizel!

I may have been able to save you a lot of bother. :yes: Cheers John.

Dang! It would have been great to meet you at long last. You ought to give Malcolm a kick up the bum for not mentioning it :nono:

G

k14
28th June 2007, 18:17
Woah now that is what I call a writeup.

I crossed over (going south) lindis pass the same day you went over haast and up the west coast. Needless to say there was a good 3 or 4cm of snow on the road. It was consistently snowing from Tekapo right down to the southern side of Lindis.

Swoop
29th June 2007, 10:50
What an absolutely wonderful writeup Geoff!
Thanks for taking the time to put it together, so the rest of us can enjoy your trip.
I am guessing the car was used for carrying a fair few souveniers!!!

Great stuff. :first:

gijoe1313
3rd July 2007, 18:44
Wow, what a great trip and an excellent ride report on it all! Brought back memories when I did SI in the cage. Definitely inspired me to go and do it all again on two wheels of freedom!

Sounds like you all overcame the usual challenges that biking presents and had an excellent time doing so!

mattimeo
5th July 2007, 14:13
Wicked read! Cheers. I spent last week riding around the northen part of the South Island, with a friend... Ended rather badly for me (didn't manage to avoid a patch of black ice) but this is just the motivation I need to complete the trip this summer.

Templar
17th October 2007, 13:31
Hi guys, we're doing the same as this person in late December-Jan, allowing up to four weeks to go from Auckland to Auckland (myself and partner), with a complete South Island tour being the main focus.

The biggest question I have is about the logistics. Obviously we will have a basic plan but this must be flexible due to any unforseen occurance, so how do you guys that do it plan in advance for acommodation? The girlfriend likes camping, but not every night and definitely will prefer B&B type stuff, but without knowing exactly what day we'll be there we can't really book in advance, so how do you plan for this? Are you guys just hoping there will be a place to stay when you get there? As for camping gear, I have a sprint st, so a tent and two sleeping bags would pretty much fill up the two panniers and top box :(
I think this is going to be our main hurdle, so any advice will be appreciated :D

Blackbird
17th October 2007, 14:18
Hi guys, we're doing the same as this person in late December-Jan, allowing up to four weeks to go from Auckland to Auckland (myself and partner), with a complete South Island tour being the main focus.

The biggest question I have is about the logistics. Obviously we will have a basic plan but this must be flexible due to any unforseen occurance, so how do you guys that do it plan in advance for acommodation? The girlfriend likes camping, but not every night and definitely will prefer B&B type stuff, but without knowing exactly what day we'll be there we can't really book in advance, so how do you plan for this? Are you guys just hoping there will be a place to stay when you get there? As for camping gear, I have a sprint st, so a tent and two sleeping bags would pretty much fill up the two panniers and top box :(
I think this is going to be our main hurdle, so any advice will be appreciated :D

December-Jan is peak period. You'll always find somewhere if you don't book, but the choice and standard might be a bit limited. You could always pre-book near the major tourist areas and not worry elsewhere. I recommend the Top 10 chain (www.top10.co.nz/) which have fantastic facilities and are moderately priced, but there are plenty of other options like backpackers.

With Top 10, you can order sheets and blankets for about $5/person/night in one of their cabins if you don't want to lug a sleeping bag and tent about. If you want to tent it, you can find accomodation practically anywhere without pre-booking a site. Hope this helps but I'm sure plenty of other people will add their experiences too.

pritch
18th October 2007, 19:05
When I went around the SI in March I too mainly used Top 10.

Lewis Pass and Franz Joseph are particularly recommended. Wanaka is OK too. I booked into a Motel half way for a laundry day and I was a bit wary how cold the deep south might be. Maybe a motel once a week might be nice.

If you are trying to do it in a semi-organised way, I was advised to book in to the next camp as you check out in the morning. That way you should at least beat some of the people who just arrive mid afternoon and look for somewhere to book in...

I wasn't quite brave enough to do that and booked most in advance. Don't try to ride too many hours in a day. Leave time for walking around and checking out whatever is on offer in each place. Four hours riding a day, give or take, should be plenty.

Top 10 have a good website and a useful mileage calculator too. Or should that be kilometreage?

crash99
2nd November 2007, 21:26
Can't match that report, but I can say I am in Wanaka at the moment, 2 days into a 5 night round SI trip on the mighty Honda Hornet 919.
What an awesome day I just had - Hokitika to Wanaka would have to be one of THE best rides in the world! Previous day was Wellington to Hoki.

It has been about 20 yrs or so since I was down here last and I had forgotten just how damned beautiful this place is - almost good enough to make you want to stop and look - ok, not that good. I did take a few piccies though. And how few other people there are here, including Mr Plods . . . easy to hold whatever speed you want, not that I'd speed of course, its just that 5grand is a real nice rev range . . .

Awesome corners, roads rough enough in places to make it interesting. The cattle stop on the exit to a signposted 15km/hr corner over Mt Hercules has got to be a sick joke though, right?

And the Hornet is loving it. Metzler Roadtecs are perfect; suspension still needs some work (yes, its coming) and the exhausts that Damon from Cycleworks did are absolutely pure bliss!! Some real Zen moments.

Tomorrow is Wanaka to Bluff (ok, 'cos its there), then thru Catlins to Balclutha. After that? Well, you'll just have to wait and see won't you!:beer:

scumdog
2nd November 2007, 21:41
As for camping gear, I have a sprint st, so a tent and two sleeping bags would pretty much fill up the two panniers and top box :(

Do what I have done at times: courier spare clothing or whatever to a location where can have wait ready for you - and then courier back the dirty clothing etc home.

Cary
6th December 2007, 06:28
Again, great read.

Reading up on anything South Island at the moment in prep for S.I. trip in Feb.

Didn't realise it got quite that cold that time of year so another lesson learnt. Cheers.

martybabe
11th September 2008, 13:54
Amazing write up Geoff, many many thanx. About 8 weeks to go before I follow in your footsteps and this Account of your trip will be coming with me.

Top bloke. :soon:

Templar
11th September 2008, 13:59
Far out I completely forgot about this thread. If anyone wants to see how we fared we put it up at

http://roadtrip.net.nz/index.php/nz-tour-0708/

6500 round trip on the Sprint at Xmas/New Year's 2007/08. I was meant to do the same around Australia this year but my brother in arms pulled out so it's been postponed indefinitely :no:

Have a great time MartyBabe, we really enjoyed it and will remember it for the rest of our lives.

buggerit
22nd January 2019, 21:17
thread dredge, awsesome write up Geoff, ready for another lap?:scooter:

Blackbird
23rd January 2019, 05:50
thread dredge, awsesome write up Geoff, ready for another lap?:scooter:

Bloody hell, that really was a thread dredge :laugh: .Thanks for the kind words, had forgotten that I wrote it! I was due to head south next month but that was canned due to my wife having a hip replacement in 2 weeks. It would not be a good look to bugger off whilst she's recovering:msn-wink:. Besides, she's just approved a new bike and I wouldn't want that approval withdrawn!

insomnia01
24th January 2019, 08:32
Got me thinking about the TT2000 I did in 2015, started Whanganui finished Christchurch picked partner up from there & then spent 9 days making our way home :woohoo::woohoo: her first time down south for sometime & on the ZX14 as well. Cool read Geoff :Punk:

Blackbird
24th January 2019, 12:17
Got me thinking about the TT2000 I did in 2015, started Whanganui finished Christchurch picked partner up from there & then spent 9 days making our way home :woohoo::woohoo: her first time down south for sometime & on the ZX14 as well. Cool read Geoff :Punk:

Thanks Hami! The south island is a pretty special place eh? My next bike (most likely a KTM Duke 790) won't be so well set up for touring but doing it solo with a backpack full of underpants will be fine :innocent:

buggerit
24th January 2019, 18:27
Bloody hell, that really was a thread dredge :laugh: .Thanks for the kind words, had forgotten that I wrote it! I was due to head south next month but that was canned due to my wife having a hip replacement in 2 weeks. It would not be a good look to bugger off whilst she's recovering:msn-wink:. Besides, she's just approved a new bike and I wouldn't want that approval withdrawn!

Wishing Jenny a speedy recovery and look forward to seeing the new bike:cool:

Blackbird
24th January 2019, 18:48
Wishing Jenny a speedy recovery and look forward to seeing the new bike:cool:

Cheers Steve,

Trying to avoid a test ride before the CEO has recovered as that will lead into temptation :msn-wink: . However, I did drop into MR Motorcycles in Pukekohe whilst I was up there on Tuesday to chat to the sales staff and to sit on one!