PDA

View Full Version : New Threads feature request

skelstar
1st July 2007, 12:44
If I've been away for a bit and come back to KB I sure would like to be able to just get a list of all the new threads that have been posted since I've logged on, not the new posts. Lets face it, I find a new thread, if I'm interested I'll subscribe or post...otherwise I don't need to see it again.

Is this a feature that can be added? ...or is there a better solution?

Kendog
1st July 2007, 13:10
That is a very good idea.

Edit: Great profile pic Skel.

James Deuce
1st July 2007, 13:35
It's called an RSS feed.

Setup an iGoogle tab for Kiwibiker and stick the RSS feed in the tab settings. That will display only new threads.

Alternatively setup up a live feed in Firefox on your Bookmarks Toolbar. (Insert any other browser name that can do RSS tabs or toolbars instead of Firefox).

skelstar
1st July 2007, 13:38
I use the RSS but it only shows about 10-15 threads.

James Deuce
1st July 2007, 13:39
Which of late is about 2 days worth of new threads.
I use my mail client (Outlook 2007) for the "feature" you're talking about. Thunderbird will do it too. I direct the RSS feed to its own KB folder and hey presto, all that day's new threads are listed.

skelstar
1st July 2007, 13:55
Reckons theres going to be an easier way. I don't know how the back end of this site works but I reckon its just a SQL query that has to be added. I'm sure I could do it with a bookmark and the search function, but its not elegant and can't be arsed today.

Kendog
1st July 2007, 14:02
Yeah. RSS, Igoogle, sounds like a bit much effort for us poor computer illiterate bikers.

A link on the home page called 'New Threads', thats the way to go :yes:

James Deuce
1st July 2007, 14:04
If you can setup an email account you can setup an RSS folder in your email client.

cowpoos
1st July 2007, 14:09
rss feeds don't cover all new threads for some reason anyway???

skelstar
1st July 2007, 14:15
If you can setup an email account you can setup an RSS folder in your email client.

Sounds like a MS fix :shit:. I shouldn't have to run two apps to improve my KBing. Someone (Spank, MT) tell me it can't be done. I'm convinced it should be do-able.

rainman
1st July 2007, 19:06
I use the RSS but it only shows about 10-15 threads.

Which of late is about 2 days worth of new threads.

I must be getting the extra version then. I use Google Reader and according to their stats I'm getting 50 threads a day.

Of course, I couldn't comment as to how many are worth reading.... :innocent:

rainman
1st July 2007, 19:11
I use Google Reader...

That would be http://www.google.com/reader, btw.

Click on Browse on the left above your list of feeds, put "kiwibiker" in the keywords field, "Search for feeds", pick the first one. S'easy.

skelstar
1st July 2007, 19:30
Yeah I'm using the live bookmarks, not the 'reader'.

Waylander
1st July 2007, 19:39
You do know that when scrolling through the new posts, when you get to the area with posts from before your last log in it tells you so right?

Something like, "The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts."

skelstar
1st July 2007, 20:27
You do know that when scrolling through the new posts, when you get to the area with posts from before your last log in it tells you so right?

Something like, "The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts."

Oh my god, I've been on this site for nearly two years and I've never realised!!! :mellow:

I hope Canadians get sarcasm.

Read my first post. I only want to see new threads since I logged on last.

Kendog
1st July 2007, 21:39
Oh my god, I've been on this site for nearly two years and I've never realised!!! :mellow:

I hope Canadians get sarcasm.

Read my first post. I only want to see new threads since I logged on last.

How bout a search for new Avatars since last logged on?

skelstar
1st July 2007, 21:45
How bout a search for new Avatars since last logged on?
Yeah, that was a request from high-up ;)

boomer
1st July 2007, 22:17
rss feeds don't cover all new threads for some reason anyway???

It's called an RSS feed.

Setup an iGoogle tab for Kiwibiker and stick the RSS feed in the tab settings. That will display only new threads.

Alternatively setup up a live feed in Firefox on your Bookmarks Toolbar. (Insert any other browser name that can do RSS tabs or toolbars instead of Firefox).

for a small fee i'll write ya the xml, an RSS feed or the Sql query/interface...

:beer::beer::beer::beer:

*** f*ck it.. for moderator/admin rights ( and i'll need admin rights to do this ) i'll do it for free..

you will however have to deal with the fact that some moderators won't be able to log on any more