PDA

View Full Version : Hey!

Yokai
20th September 2004, 12:50
Hey all -

Thought I'd poke my head in and say hey. Just bought my first bike (and am on the L-Plate thing - which is cool if somewhat annoying)... After 17 years of wishing I had a bike I now own a little Yamaha SRV250. First bike I saw (sort of), didn't get it checked, didn't test ride it, didn't do any of the things that I was supposed to do, but that's Ok, cos Red Baron sorted me out...

Bought the bike on the weekend, and was so stoked that I had to go ride to brunch AND lunch on Sunday... :-)
Pic of what she will look like is here: www.meths.net/bike.jpg ...

So - I guess I might be your oldest newbie rider, but hey! at least I'm on the right road!

Yokai

vifferman
20th September 2004, 12:54
Hi, Yokai, and welcome to KiwiBiker!:niceone:

Looks like a pretty cool bike - hope you enjoy riding it.

toads
20th September 2004, 13:07
hello and welcome, I hope you continue to enjoy riding and being a part of kiwibikers

Joni
20th September 2004, 13:12
Welcome :spudwave:

Cajun
20th September 2004, 13:56
welcome to kb

Blakamin
20th September 2004, 14:16
hi... :wavey:

Sparky Bills
20th September 2004, 14:19
Hey and welcome! :moon:

Yokai
20th September 2004, 14:19
Coolness - so many nice people - and I thought that being a Pom would be a bad thing :wacko: ...

My girlfriend is already getting annoyed at my ability to just go on and on and on and on about how cool my ride out to Piha was yesterday... Managed to miss most of the rain (which is surprisingly scary for a newbie)...

Does anyone here know when Red Baron does its club runs? (Off I go to try and find some more in the meets area)...

Yokai

Ghost Lemur
20th September 2004, 14:31
Welcome Yokai

You'll find quite a few here got their first bikes later in life, or had a large break between bikes.

You must be lovin it, and just in time for some summer fun. :msn-wink:

riffer
20th September 2004, 14:39
You'll find quite a few here got their first bikes later in life, or had a large break between bikes.
Yup that's me. Stopped riding at 22, started riding again at 36. Nearly a year back on bikes now.

Welcome Yokai :spudwave:

Yokai
20th September 2004, 14:51
And I've been warned already that my girlfriend's work have started a book on when I have my first accident! MAN! that sucks... Glad to know that I'm not hte only over 30 17yr old around here!

Tell you what though, I was completely unprepared for how stupid car drivers are (And I wonder if I drive like them?!)

Yo

dhunt
20th September 2004, 14:58
Welcome to KB :2thumbsup

And I've been warned already that my girlfriend's work have started a book on when I have my first accident! MAN! that sucks... Just make sure you wear the right gear and :ride: safely

Tell you what though, I was completely unprepared for how stupid car drivers are (And I wonder if I drive like them?!)Yeah you really have to watch out for them. Bikes tend to be more aware of nutters in cages as their lives depend on the observation much more.

David

Posh Tourer :P
20th September 2004, 18:05
Yeah you really have to watch out for them. Bikes tend to be more aware of nutters in cages as their lives depend on the observation much more.

David

Tally of three nutters who deserved toots on the horn today - and I only rode about 30kms.

Yokai, look out for some organised rides on here and go on them if ya like, you never know, you might meet a few people who you feel comfortable riding with. If you are going out to Piha on a weekend, drop in and see me at the Visitor Centre - the beemer will be parked outside on most weekends....

Mongoose
20th September 2004, 18:12
Welcome to the loony bin called KB. :2thumbsup
Are you brave or silly being anewby and all and riding around Auckland? Sod that matey

Ms Piggy
20th September 2004, 18:15
So - I guess I might be your oldest newbie rider, but hey! at least I'm on the right road!

Yokai
Not by a long shot my friend! :shifty:

Welcome along, nice looking bike.

LB
21st September 2004, 05:32
Hi Yokai - welcome to KB. I'm sure you'll meet up with some other riders through this site.

Glad you got into biking - age doesn't matter, you're on two wheels that's what's important. And even better, you're loving it!!

Yokai
21st September 2004, 09:39
Did my first commute today (I commute T, W, Th)... Ugh - cagers are horrid. But at least I am building awareness. It's still a cool thing for me to putter round the streets and know that I am on a bike.

Can someone give me a tip on hill starts though?

Yo

Blakamin
21st September 2004, 09:41
Did my first commute today (I commute T, W, Th)... Ugh - cagers are horrid. But at least I am building awareness. It's still a cool thing for me to putter round the streets and know that I am on a bike.

Can someone give me a tip on hill starts though?

Yo
select 1st, clutch in, right foot on brake, a bit of revs and off ya go!

Yokai
21st September 2004, 10:08
Cheers for that - I've been wondering about the use of the old back brake. I use both breaks pretty much simultaneously at the moment for everything (probably the back one goes on first)... I probably use the clutch too much too... Oh well - more courses and more riding will probably sort me out.

Yo

vifferman
21st September 2004, 10:27
Cheers for that - I've been wondering about the use of the old back brake. I use both breaks pretty much simultaneously at the moment for everything (probably the back one goes on first)... I probably use the clutch too much too... Oh well - more courses and more riding will probably sort me out.

YoRight. The back brake can be used as a rudder (helps with low-speed manouevres), to settle the bike before a corner and before braking hard with the front (when you brake it transfers some weight to the front), and for hill-starts. You can also use it as you have, braking with both brakes, which is good. However, as you brake, weight transfers quite dramatically to the front end, and so the effectiveness of the rear brake diminishes and the braking force from the front one increases. At an extreme (when the weight transfer forces the back tyre off the ground), 100% of the braking effectiveness comes from the front brake. This is why the rear brake is much smaller than the front one(s).
There are occasions when you are going slow, when using the rear brake on its own is good, as it doesn't interfere with the steering like the front one can. Similarly, in slippery situations, hard use of the front brake can tip you on your ear. Doesn't mean you shouldn't use it at all, just that you need to carefully modulate the pressure applied to the lever.
Hope this helps, but the thing that will help most, is practise: practise braking, get to know what happens when you use each brake, and practise braking hard. If in an emergency, you don't know how to use the front brake effectively, your chances of escaping a crash are not good.

Blakamin
21st September 2004, 10:29

Yo
No probs... just remember that it's REAL easy to lock the back tyre with the back brake causing you to slide out... 70% of your braking happens at the front!!! and try to do 98% of your braking while upright and going straight! :2thumbsup

Yokai
22nd September 2004, 10:48
Cheers guys and gals...

The old hill start was simple this morning... and all because of your advice... yay!... Braking will take time to get used to (I'm a little scared wuss! :pinch: ) but I've done a couple of hard "emergency-esque" stops in the road outside my house and it seems Ok...

Thanks for all your advice and welcome and stuff.

Yo :wavey:

White trash
22nd September 2004, 10:53
Welcome, Yokai.

Great choice of bike, the SRV. it's a shame there's not more of 'em about.

Happy riding.

munter
22nd September 2004, 10:58
Hi Yokai,
Welcome to Kiwibiker -

I might have to disagree with you on the being the oldest newbie rider. I have wanted a bike for the last 20 years, finally got my full license a couple of months ago. Still don't have a bike and working hard on the missus to convince her into getting a bike. Hopefully in the next 2 months

Kinda hard when we have just had a little girl and family time takes up most/all your weekend (not complaining).

Anyway enough whinging from me - enjoy your new passion and this cool site!

Blakamin
22nd September 2004, 11:22
Kinda hard when we have just had a little girl and family time takes up most/all your weekend (not complaining).

I know that feeling! my bubs is 10 months old but i still get a bit of time on weekends :2thumbsup

erik
22nd September 2004, 11:54

Yo

Welcome Yokai!

When I did the basic handling skills course at passrite, we were told to use both brakes most of the time, but to put the front brake on first. I think it is because if you use the back brake first and find it's not slowing you enough, then go to use the front, the weight will transfer more to the front wheel, taking it off the back wheel which may cause the back wheel to skid.
I guess it doesn't really matter if you're just getting on the back brake slightly before the front, but it's something to be aware of.

For the emergency braking, I recommend finding an empty carpark somewhere and practicing. Figure 8's are good to practice too and kinda fun :).

riffer
22nd September 2004, 11:59
I know that feeling! my bubs is 10 months old but i still get a bit of time on weekends :2thumbsup
I have a 6 year old, a 5 year old, a 4 year old, and one in the making.

I also have NO weekend time...

but have persuaded the family to have an outing to the sprints in Wairarapa on Sunday. See those who are going there on Sunday ....

Blakamin
22nd September 2004, 12:18
I have a 6 year old, a 5 year old, a 4 year old, and one in the making.

I also have NO weekend time...

but have persuaded the family to have an outing to the sprints in Wairarapa on Sunday. See those who are going there on Sunday ....
Cool... now I HAVE to finish my fork seals in time and stop this :apint:

Gasman
22nd September 2004, 21:16
Hey all -

YokaiHi Yokai, and like everyone else has said, welcome aboard. I'm pretty new here too, and was away from bikes for 2o years, so don't feel out! Luckily I had a full licence which I kept alive, so have'nt had to worry about L plates!

You got me thinking about hill starts. I have'nt had to do any since getting back into biking. Not many hills in Christchurch! Used to do them in Auckland, but so long ago I'd forgotten about it. I'd better find a slope and practice again, before I find a real hill and have to go cold turkey!
Cheers! (Oh, Yammie looks real nice!)

Jackrat
22nd September 2004, 21:24
Mate,that's one really nice looking bike. :2thumbsup :cool:
If ya' don't mind me asking,what's it worth??

Motu
22nd September 2004, 22:54
They are nice alright - there is an earlier one with drum front brake (I think) parked against the side of an old shop in Grey Lynn,if you leave Red Baron down the one way street and turn right you will see it.The retro Yamaha's look so cool,why don't the other 3 do them as well (c'mon,show me up) Wish they would do a retro of the XS650 eh Jack.

Uncle B
23rd September 2004, 00:10
Welcome to KB....best place to meet new people & learn about bikes :niceone:

Yokai
23rd September 2004, 11:02
The bike on the webpage (www.meths.net/bike.jpg) is what mine WILL look like. At the moment its grey with lots of black and no chrome.

A nice SRV250 sets you back between 3 and 5 grand and usually sit around the 3.5 - 4 mark. Mine had just had a new bottom end put in and some tweaking so was 4k, but she purrrrrrrrrrrrrrs and is very purty. Thing is the parts are REALLY difficult to get over here because they were Japanese made and sold only. Its all grey import stuff.

There are some really lovely examples about though:
Here (http://http://www006.upp.so-net.ne.jp/srv4dn/toppage/)
Or Here (http://www.linkclub.or.jp/~aiko/GalleryPage/rGallery-gazo/rOwner4-gazo/rSiva06.jpg)

I'm looking for anywhere that can get me parts and chromey bits and stuff... You know what Boat stands for ? Break Out Another Thousand - I wonder if there's something similar for BIKE!??

Yo
:wavey;

vifferman
23rd September 2004, 11:11
Thing is the parts are REALLY difficult to get over here because they were Japanese made and sold only.AFAIK, they were also sold in Australia (I read reviews of them in Two Wheels years ago), so if you're stuck, you can probably get secondhand parts from somewhere like Victoria Motorcycle Wreckers.

muppitt
23rd September 2004, 12:06
Welcome hope you enjoy the bike and this site

magnum
27th September 2004, 14:31
hello and welcome :2thumbsup

inlinefour
27th January 2005, 23:56
Welcome and enjoy :banana: