PDA

View Full Version : 1996 GSXR750T SRAD for a step up?

neo5365
2nd July 2007, 00:16
what do you guys think about it? I just got my full and sold the old cbr250rr now looking for a more intense upgrade!! Im recently checking out older models of the GSXR ( between 96'and 00') is there anything I should look out for or take cautious of when buying? Im havnt made up my decision on anything yet (but looking for cbrs and gsxrs) budget around 6 to 7 k.

avgas
2nd July 2007, 00:24
Be very cautious of the horsepower increase. A few of my mates went from il4 250's to 600+......most crashed within 2 weeks as they underestimated the hp and low down torque these bikes produce.

imdying
2nd July 2007, 12:29
You wouldn't be the first person to have a 200km/hr get off after making a move like that, but on the flip side, plenty of people do it fine.

A whole heap more weight, travelling a whole heap faster. You'll either take heed to what the others here tell you, and honestly respect it, or it'll teach you respect the hard way.

Sounds morbid I know, but in reality, the respect is half the fun.

Robert Taylor (the NZ Ohlins man) was talking about the 96-98 GSXR750, something about the rear suspension linkage being arse... he hasn't posted much here, find that post and read it... sure seems like a 99- is a better bet, but then plenty of people have had the 96-98 ones and loved them :yes:

Gremlin
2nd July 2007, 12:51
A whole heap more weight, travelling a whole heap faster. You'll either take heed to what the others here tell you, and honestly respect it, or it'll teach you respect the hard way.
I'll back this up. I went from a zzr250 to a modified zx7r. Respect was the thing that kept me line, and actually, once I didn't respect it much, I moved on, as there was no problem riding it, and I began to create tankslappers etc :shit:

Accept that its a whole lot faster than you can think, and that if you screw up, you have a much smaller margin for error. Anyone can ride anything. For how long, depends on how much you respect it.

jrandom
2nd July 2007, 13:13
A week ago, I got a '99 GSX-R750 SRAD as my first 'big' bike after a couple of years out of the saddle. I put a deposit down on the bike, then rushed off and did my full licence test a few days before picking it up.

I've put something over 1,000km on it so far on the open road, and it's fine. The bike doesn't do anything you don't tell it to do, and the power and handling are just lovely. I haven't had a single unsettling moment. It's so nice to be able to ride within one's bike's capabilities instead of always wringing the nuts off it.

I figure that if you're dumb enough to chuck a 130hp bike down the road because you haven't figured out how to ride during your time with 40hp, then you'd probably kill yourself in some stupid fashion anyway, bike or no bike.

So go for it. The SRADs are excellent machines.

Top tip, though: if you get a fuel injected model, keep your throttle movement smooth in the corners. The off/on power transition if you've cocked up and engine-braked into a turn can be somewhat abrupt.

jrandom
2nd July 2007, 13:17
Anyone can ride anything. For how long, depends on how much you respect it.

Yeah, wot 'e said.

Personally, I can't imagine being stupid enough to disregard the bellowing of the Yoshi under my arse and the horizon rushing toward me at an unprecedented rate of knots when considering how I'm going to get get the bike around an upcoming corner.

Just remember that the two-wheeled machines only go as fast as you tell them to, and that God will not give you a prize for getting your knee down 500ms before you die.

Drunken Monkey
2nd July 2007, 13:24
Top tip, though: if you get a fuel injected model, keep your throttle movement smooth in the corners. The off/on power transition if you've cocked up and engine-braked into a turn can be somewhat abrupt.

That's partly due to the 8bit maps on older models. The later 16 and 32 bit aren't as bad, although the timing retard also helps keep throttle smooth in 1st gear.

PS - Welcome to the club, JR.

jrandom
2nd July 2007, 13:29
That's partly due to the 8bit maps on older models. The later 16 and 32 bit aren't as bad, although the timing retard also helps keep throttle smooth in 1st gear.

Ah, interesting.

Still, I kind of like it. It's forcing me to avoid right-hand sloppiness.

PS - Welcome to the club, JR.

I'm all about joining clubs.

ManDownUnder
2nd July 2007, 13:31
Ah, interesting.

Still, I kind of like it. It's forcing me to avoid right-hand sloppiness.

I'm all about joining clubs.

CKK.............?

riffer
2nd July 2007, 19:23
I came back from 12 years away to a 750. I agree with jrandom.

But you do need to show RESPECT.

slopster
2nd July 2007, 19:38
I've had the 750T for the last 6 months and couldn't be happier with it. It was not my first big bike and the bike has an abrubt and angry feel about it that the newer bikes dont have. I really like that but it has to be treated with a bit more respect then some modern machines that feel like 250's till you wind the power on all the way.

neo5365
3rd July 2007, 22:10
thanks for the tips guys really appreciate it :).. I went and had a look one yesterday and it was in mint condition. some mods minor were done. dynojet stage 1 jet kit. full yoshimura rs3 exhaust from headers. the overall condition of the bike was really nice with only couple little scratches on fairings from off the stand.. the only thing im not sure about is the squeaky noise it makes on the front forks? hmmm i was thinking if i should take it to a mechanic before i buy it?

ruphus
4th July 2007, 02:15
I've had my K6 750 for about 3 months now and love it. I learnt to ride on a GSXR400SP so even though the seven fiddy is about 80hp more, the jump was not as big as stepping up from a 250.

I know that this bike will wheelie quite easily and just as easily be in "lost licence" territory but as every else has said it's all about respect and knowing your limits.

:yes:

breakaway
4th July 2007, 02:22
Knowing your limit is one thing. Sticking to them... that's another kettle of fish :dodge:

FruitLooPs
4th July 2007, 13:41
I'm not sure what a cbr250rr weighs in at but if its like my RG150 (120-130kg) then switching to a bigger bike certainly makes for some interesting corners for a while.

I switched straight from an RG150 to an 800km ride on my oil boiler 750 after purchase. First thing you notice is the silly power differential, close second is the woah this thing doesnt really turn like a wee 150.

Course you get used to it, but take ya time with the twisties until you have fully caught up to the weight difference (my '87 weighs in 180kg or so). Can find yaself quickly running out of road midcorner otherwise. :shit:

Still if you're not a munter you can enjoy riding around basically idling with power on tap which is great. Compared to being in the upper % of the tach on the 150/250's. :yes:

vamr
4th July 2007, 15:14
Still if you're not a munter you can enjoy riding around basically idling with power on tap which is great. Compared to being in the upper % of the tach on the 150/250's. :yes:

For me that's half the fun, ringing the shit out of the bike all the way... and then some. :yes:

FruitLooPs
4th July 2007, 16:32
For me that's half the fun, ringing the shit out of the bike all the way... and then some. :yes:

Oh for sure, in the right time and place theres nothing better but its nice to just roll on the throttle and have it haul unlike my 150 where i need to stoke and prod it to make it go. I do have a new respect for my little 150 now though, it gets almost constantly ridden near redline. really makes you work the gears around the twisties or hills. :yes:

I was trying to say just don't get in too deep too early with a twist of the wrist on a big a bike, a quick look at the speedo might give you a bit of a shock during a blat. :innocent: