PDA

View Full Version : Queensland for winter

Lance
2nd July 2007, 16:03
Kay and I decided we couldnt afford to go up to Europe anymore for our winter riding so decided to do a thing in Oz. Going north in Winter and then down sth in summer. Bought a 2005 DL1000 V strom as a repairable write off and had it back on road for $5000 + reregistering. having only done 14000K thought this was good deal. This was down in Melbourne so trucked it up to Brisbane were we joined it 4 weeks ago. Fitted panniers and top box and off we went ijn search of the winterless north. After 3 weeks riding in a lot of rain and cold decided that this was another ozy lie. However had a great time. Passed another V strom cruising near Rockhampton so stopped for a chat. Just happened to be a mate the suzuki dealer from Napier. They shipped there bike over from NZ. We realy started to enjoy ourselves once we reached Cairns. The roads around Cairns are the greatest biking roads I have ever encounted. Even the Swiss alps. The curves are perfectly constructed with believable signage with plenty of overtaking or turnouts and go on and on for 30k from one side to the other.. We left the bike in Cairns and are joining it again early August to go up to Cooktown and then back across to Alice mostly on dirt roads and then down to Adelaide for the spring. For those following a couple of tips. Book cabins in camping grounds early they generally book out. Better option is motels or B&B as they are the same price and they like you staying as apposed to the prics who run camping grounds.
Will let you know how I get on over the Simpson deseart. Has anyone done it. Im planing on doing the Plenty HW from Boulia to Alice. 811 kl without anything in between.

Macktheknife
2nd July 2007, 16:26
Carry as much water as you can, don't stop for Abo's.
seriously.

oldrider
2nd July 2007, 16:28
KB'r Duck_01 is over there even as we speak, riding his trusty Tiger (black) keep an eye out for him, his name is Mark! Great guy. :yes:Cheers John.

Big Dave
2nd July 2007, 17:28
Will let you know how I get on over the Simpson deseart. Has anyone done it. Im planing on doing the Plenty HW from Boulia to Alice. 811 kl without anything in between.

Personally I wouldn't do that without some serious contingency. spares, tyres, sat phone, and at least one other vehicle.

It's not just 800 - There are thousands of kilometers of f*** all in large lumps in every direction. It's essentially just boredom and hard work with a heightened risk of death.

Stay on the coast and fly to the rock. There is bugger all to see in between but nuffink anyway. Then head for Adelaide via the western slopes. Broken Hill Lightning ridge - Down that way.

I got half way from Cairns to the Top of Cape York last month,

Lotusbird lodge is just up past cape melville - highly recommend.

Nonbeliever
2nd July 2007, 21:02
Good stuff.

I did the pacific northwest USA last NZ winter...A-mazing

I assume you have friends in Cairns where you left the bike?

Scorpygirl
2nd July 2007, 21:20
Carry extra gas with you....there is miles and miles between petrol stations!!! :scooter

Lance
8th July 2007, 22:29
Actually I am going alone and without support vehicle but going to try it anyway. By the time I et to the realy tuff stuff I will have covered over 1000k of dirt road so will no if its a goer or not. The bikes resting up with the Suzuke blocks in Cairns Nice guys

Lance

delusionz
10th July 2007, 14:55
Cool man, I'm originally from Cairns, Was surprised to see mention of my humble 100,000-population hometown! Did you get to ride up the Kuranda Range? Wish I had the opportunity to be a motorcyclist when I was growing up there but I was only 16 when I left. Kuranda Range has the perfect twisties to satisfy anyone! Then again I think NZ has alot more to offer than Cairns does (But not Queensland or Australia as a whole) and when summer arrives I plan on exploring as I've still only been as far north as Owera and as far south as Hamilton.

Good on you for exploring Australia as I could have only dreamed of.

Mike

tri boy
10th July 2007, 15:11
Actually I am going alone and without support vehicle but going to try it anyway. By the time I et to the realy tuff stuff I will have covered over 1000k of dirt road so will no if its a goer or not. The bikes resting up with the Suzuke blocks in Cairns Nice guys

Lance
Take alot of water with you. And plan your trip well.
Say hi to Wayne and the boys at the Suzi shop for me. (They knew me as K1w1, and they are top blokes).
The outback can SERIOUSLY bite you in the arse. Sat phone is a very good idea. As is GPS, and any survival gear you can squeeze on board.
All the best.:yes:

bell
10th July 2007, 18:20
Carry as much water as you can, don't stop for Abo's.
seriously.

Not so helpful advice. Seriously. Treat anyone on the side of the road as a potential threat and you'll be fine. You've got more reason to be concerned about 'roos, emus, camels and livestock than an Aboriginal person! Attitude is everything when you're off the beaten track in those parts of Australia. Show some respect and you'll most likely be treated very well by the locals.

Buy a satphone or hire one at the very least. http://search.ebay.com.au/satellite-phone_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQfromZR10QQssPageNameZWLRS

Register your intentions at every Police station you pass when you head beyond Boulia. Don't bother with the side trip into Urandangi after you pass Dajarra, just keep on to Boulia.

Practise staying awake somehow too.

Big Dave
11th July 2007, 00:05

Lance

Cool - take due caution - from my experience - bell's advice is sound.

sarahtvet
16th July 2007, 11:25
Kay and I decided we couldnt afford to go up to Europe anymore for our winter riding so decided to do a thing in Oz. Going north in Winter and then down sth in summer. Bought a 2005 DL1000 V strom as a repairable write off and had it back on road for $5000 + reregistering. having only done 14000K thought this was good deal. This was down in Melbourne so trucked it up to Brisbane were we joined it 4 weeks ago. Fitted panniers and top box and off we went ijn search of the winterless north. After 3 weeks riding in a lot of rain and cold decided that this was another ozy lie. However had a great time.

Sounds great, wish I had known you were going, lots of good mates in queensland who could show you a fun time. If you get back around here again let me know.

I am in Brisbane for two months,working and bikeless :-( but hoping to get out on a few weekend rides:yes:

Just went to a great winery west of Dalby called Jimbou, the site of the first settlement in queensland.

If you come back to QLD it has some good concerts etc, free apart from the wine and decent coffee and is a stop for the local hog riders so apart from the long straight roads in and very flat terrain may be worth a visit.

Hope you have a fantastic trip and will look forward to hearing all about it.

be safe:yes: