PDA

View Full Version : Fire Extinguishers

denill
20th September 2004, 18:19
Hey guys

What's the go these days for a small - as in very small, fire extinguisher to carry on trail/adventure bikes??

Does anyone know where the little Aerosol types can be obtained.

Can't find them anywhere?

Thanks

Bill W

Blakamin
20th September 2004, 18:56
Hey guys

What's the go these days for a small - as in very small, fire extinguisher to carry on trail/adventure bikes??

Thanks

Bill W

Have you tried Dick Smith (strangely enuff) ??
pretty sure thats where a guy at work got his from... will find out tomorrow for sure

Angry Puppy
20th September 2004, 19:11
Just ride faster. the wind will blow the flames out :Pokey:

Darryboy
20th September 2004, 19:24
Also try Wet & Forget (The guy behind it (Rod Jenden I think) also does 'Fireman' aerosol extinguishers).

Don't know either of the numbers though other than that W&F are based in Mairangi Bay in a road of Constellation Drive.

Ghost Lemur
20th September 2004, 19:46
Ask KK he's the expert on flaming bikes, isn't he? :eek:

Firefight
21st September 2004, 05:26
Most good off road bike shops should be able to help, many enduro/cross country events require them to be carried, (if event is in a forest),My local off road dealer was selling them for around NZ$35.00, slightly bigger than aerosol can size, both Foam and Dry powder type., pm me if you can not locate one locally to you.

F/F :wacko:

clint640
21st September 2004, 08:37
I got mine from a chainsaw shop (bushmen have to carry them on their belt)
They are sold at most trail rides now too for those that forget.

Cheers
Clint

Artifice
21st September 2004, 10:32
dry powder is the way. a dry powder extingusher has about 25x the fire putting out ability of a co2 extinguisher. dry powder has same duration but you use a lot less.

just remember once u use one take it in to get refilled/checked out.
those co2 extinguishers don't always close the diaphram off properly and the pressure will leak off over time. so even if you only gave it a 1 sec blast and they have about 15 secs worth of co2 in em... it'll probably be empty next time u try to use it.

those aerosole extinguishers. well they work once only, but well they dont have much fire putting out ability. Its all in the first blast with em pretty much.

if you have any questions about fire extinguishers just talk to the guys at your local fire dept.

Blakamin
21st September 2004, 10:40
The tosser i was going to ask at work is having the day off. :mad:
wish i was!

Jimmy
21st September 2004, 11:41
Yeah - got one yesterday from Placemakers (need it for the Crater & Lakes ride this weekend). Have also seen them at Mitre 10. Cost is around $32 & they're suitable for all types of blaze, but are a one discharge only job i.e. can't be used twice or refilled. But they are no bigger or heavier than a can of oven cleaner (not that I have anything whatsoever to do with oven cleaner!!).

Cheers
Jimmy

SNOman
21st September 2004, 14:46
Hey guys

Thanks

Bill W

I'd probably go for something like this

http://www.amalgamate2000.com/sales/motorcycle_and_chainsaw_fire_ext.htm

rather than an "oven cleaner" type can. You lose the lid on those types and then it doesn't take much to accidentally set them off :o

denill
21st September 2004, 15:39
Found one thanks guys. :done: :done:

A bit smaller and lighter than the Mitre 10 and DSE.
Got it from a locksmith???? $36.50

See ya at the Crater & Lakes Jimmy :drinknsin :drinknsin

Cheers
BillW

tlronny
14th October 2004, 05:28
I'm after one this weekend for a trail ride near Atiamuri.
What locksmith in Napier did you get it from ?? :spudwhat:

Fryin Finn
22nd October 2004, 10:24
Dry powder is probably the best. Whem my XR caught fire on the last CC adventure ride the water based fire extinguisher didn't do a damn thing but the dry powder put the fire out quick as a flash.
Hence my moniker

Hitcher
22nd October 2004, 11:53
Save some money and always ride with a full bladder...

tlronny
23rd October 2004, 06:51
I got mine last week from the local bike shop and it was the same as the one above (snowmans) $30

:first:

denill
25th October 2004, 15:05
I'm after one this weekend for a trail ride near Atiamuri.
What locksmith in Napier did you get it from ?? :spudwhat:

Sorry I wasn't able to get back to you sooner (I was taking the long way back from Phillip Island......)
FWIW I got my extinguisher from 'Bay Locks', in Carlyle St.

Talking about extinguishers. Did you read this?? :crybaby: :crybaby:

The $10 million ride

A USA trail rider has been presented with a massive bill for a forest fire which authorities claimed was started by his motorcycle, which had no spark arrestor.

Here is what the AP wire service had to say: The US Forest Service said it plans to bill a teenager about $10 million to pay the costs of fighting a 16,000-acre wildfire.

Ryan Unger, 18, was cited last month for operating an off-road vehicle without a spark arrester, which officials believe started the August blaze in central Washington. Besides burning thousands of acres, the fire destroyed one home.

The Forest Service is required by law to try to recover costs of fighting forest fires. The state Department of Natural Resources has paid about one-third of the total $14.9 million it took to extinguish the blaze.

"It's not something we take pleasure in," said Maureen Hanson, administrative officer for the Okanogan and Wenatchee National Forests. "We understand a lot of these people don't go out to start a fire."