PDA

View Full Version : Shipping bike from UK?

sarahtvet
3rd July 2007, 13:18
I am waiting to ship HondaCB750F :scooter:and wondered if anybody who has done it before has any recommendations for good shipping agents in UK? Have had quotes from £500-1200:gob:
Have looked at all customs stuff and think I am OK on that. Brother sorting UK end as I am here, desperate to get bike here by end August when back from Auz.:yes:

thanks s

Blackbird
3rd July 2007, 14:16
Hi Sarah

PM Freebird, he brought his Blackbird out last October. He works for the Ministry of Transport and can also advise you on Customs, MAF and registration practical requirements once it gets here.

Good luck!

sarahtvet
3rd July 2007, 16:05
thanks very much, will do :yes:

Scouse
3rd July 2007, 16:17
Hi Sara Looking at your quotes I cant help thinking that it would be cheaper to buy a bike of the same size and year over here.

betti
3rd July 2007, 16:48
Hi sarah

Shipped my katana from the Uk in the crate with the rest of my gear, no extra shipping charge, $300 to comply and register when it arrived, might be a plan if you are bringing a container anyway, otherwise here's a link to reviews of different firms

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/tripplan/transport/shippingQueryResults.php

Baldyheed
4th July 2007, 00:16
Hi Sarah, shipped my Pan European over through Pickfords, with only problem being they forgot to send the keys with the bike! Airmail courier sorted that, but carry a spare with you.

Used Sawyer motorcycles here in Wellington, and cannot fault them. They took care of all the paperwork for me, I just signed where required, and crossed their palms with paper money.

With insurance, cost me a thousand pounds to ship it, then around $300 for registration, if my memory serves me right. Also had to pay import tax, as I came in on a work visa. However, that was refunded once my residency came through.

ceebie13
9th July 2007, 09:52
Hi Sarah...

Whatever you do, take my advice and DO NOT use Frontier Forwarding.
See my story here:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=8968&highlight=Frontier+Forwarding

Good luck...you'll love it when you get here.

Richard

sarahtvet
16th July 2007, 13:22
Hi Sarah...

Good luck...you'll love it when you get here.

Richard

Sorry for late reply, just arrived in Auz for 2 months so have been a bit caught up trying to sort bike and stuff:yes:

So lucky your bike wasn't damaged looking at that crate!!! The post was amusing if piognant and a fair warning to all of us shippers:yes:

I can't wait to get out on the NZ roads on her :ride: I have been pillion since arriving in June on 86GSXR's new Triumph so have had a taste of the fun to be had. Won't be as slick on corners for a while but really looking forward to getting back into it.

The bike was a gift from bruv so sentimental value and low mileage, hence why bringing it here rather than buying a local bike. Sure I will end up with a sports bike too in the end:yes:

Thanks for advice, will surely let you know how it goes when I get out there for a :ride:

sarahtvet
16th July 2007, 13:28
Just wanted to thank you for help and advice, unfortunately shipping of my other stuff organised before bruv gave me the bike so not option to come together. Think I have tracked down a deal of £700 plus ins to Auckland and shouldn't have much to pay when it arrives. I will remember to claim back duty when residency comes through tho, hadn't thought of that.

Will let you know how it all goes.

kinger
3rd August 2007, 22:37
Hi again Sarah.
A quick update.
Before you can VIN it, you need a brake certificate. I got this for $90 from Chris Mitchell in Taupo. Your local dealer/workshop can sort this for you. That's basically a servicability check of the brakes.
Once you've got the certificate, it's off to LTNZ.
The costs there were for two items. the inspection, and registering the bike (and getting the plate), which were $285 and $135 respectively.
Then, that's it. you're on the road.
I know how you feel with the sentimental attachment. There's no way a 1995 XJR is worth what I've spent on it, and could get better and newer, but there's more to life eh?
Anyway, catch you later.