PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone,

R1Thrasher
20th September 2004, 18:39
i've recently emmigrated ( 3 weeks ago ) from Scotland to sunny Gisborne, i'm afraid i'm still bikeless at the moment...my baby won't arrive till the end of Oct. Since i've been here i've only seen 1 bike, Gixer 1000, which is a bit disheartening as looking at the site it seems NZ has a huge bikin' population....where is everyone..!! The roads around here are awesome but i'm a bit concerned about dumping it big time due to me lookin' at the gorgeous scenery and coastline....do you guys have track days..? if so where are your tracks...it was something that i loved to do back in Scotland. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.... :niceone:

cheers

R1Thrasher

Blakamin
20th September 2004, 18:50
Welcome!!... I'm sure you'll come across some more bikes up that way soon... you might even get to meet Toads!

StoneChucker
20th September 2004, 18:54
Welcome.

You have GREAT taste in bikes there :) There are quite a few track days so I hear. I'm not ready to go on one, but I hear they are a hellava lot of fun. Keep an eye out on this site, all up coming track days are posted well in advance.

Look forward to hearing about some riding in Scotland.

Later,
Dave.

Ghost Lemur
20th September 2004, 19:11
Welcome aboard R1Thrasher. You just missed out on the Wellington KBer Haggis/Singles (Wiskey not people, that is) night.

Every track (That I know of) has track days. Think you nearest might be Taupo, but someone better qualified I'm sure will come along and correct me.

Bet you're itching to get out there and explore over the summer.

toads
20th September 2004, 19:14
hello and welcome, I'm in Gisborne too!, I'm sorry to tell you there are no track days here, but there's absolutely nothing to stop you organising something!! We have speedway here during the summer months, but only a dirttrack sadly. There was some talk of using the airport runway ( presumably the bit that is rarely used) for some sort of track days for boyracers, dunno what happened to that idea but it could be something to consider for bikes in the future, me and my husband Pete (A Toad 2) both have old slow bikes, and are happy to putter about the place when time and family allow, but it's a great ride out to our place when you do get a bike again, cheers Lucy

Angry Puppy
20th September 2004, 19:17
Welcome. I thought all the Scotts went to Dunedin :Pokey: ? Lots of bikers, just spread out a bit!

Fazer Bloke

vifferman
20th September 2004, 19:18
Welcome, Mr Thrasher.
There are about 5 tracks (??) in EnZed, and I think the nearest would be Taupo.

Blackbird
20th September 2004, 19:39
...from someone south of the border who found his way Down Under! Good Trackdays at Taupo and Pukekohe. Why bother though as you have your own personal racetrack on your doorstep? By that, I mean through the Gorge to Opotiki and then back round the coast to Gisborne. It simply doesn't get any better than that. A nice day out on an R1 :laugh:

Geoff

Zed
20th September 2004, 19:46
i've recently emmigrated ( 3 weeks ago ) from Scotland to sunny Gisborne, i'm afraid i'm still bikeless at the moment...my baby won't arrive till the end of Oct. Since i've been here i've only seen 1 bike, Gixer 1000, which is a bit disheartening as looking at the site it seems NZ has a huge bikin' population....where is everyone..!! The roads around here are awesome but i'm a bit concerned about dumping it big time due to me lookin' at the gorgeous scenery and coastline....do you guys have track days..? if so where are your tracks...it was something that i loved to do back in Scotland. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.... :niceone:

cheers

R1Thrasher
Welcome to KB & NZ Thrasher!

You say "where is everyone" but that is obvious - not in Gisborne! Come and move up to Auckland (don't read the "Auckland" thread though) and you'll see bikes, move down to Wellington and you'll see some too...when it's not windy and raining. :msn-wink: I am envious of your Gisborne roads though!

The North Is. tracks are at Pukekohe near Auckland, Taupo (closest to you), and Feilding (Manfield). Keep a close eye on the Meetings and Events Forums for past & future meets.

Enjoy your stay.

Zed

Ps. Nice choice of machine. Have you got any pics you can post in your profile or gallery?

Her_C4
20th September 2004, 19:59

cheers

R1Thrasher

Hiya Thrasher,

Gidday and welcome :spudbooge

1 bike in 3 weeks??? You gotta look at the roads to see the bikes :brick:

Ms Piggy
20th September 2004, 20:08
Welcome along! :spudwave: How will you cope until your baby arrives??

Joni
20th September 2004, 20:09
As a fellow immigrant, I say hello too.... :spudwave:

DEATH_INC.
20th September 2004, 20:32
Welcome to N.Z. and to K.B as well. :cool2:

mangell6
20th September 2004, 20:41
No track near Gisborne, tsk tsk. Great riding roads around there.

There is a great track up that way, sort of like a really long Isle of Man. You head north out of Gisborne and when you get to Opotiki, head inland, eventually you will arrive at a Tee intersection, turn left and there is Gisborne again. Repeat as many times as you want.

Welcome to an awesome riding country.

Marknz
20th September 2004, 20:44
Welcome Thrasher!

riffer
20th September 2004, 20:51
Hallo Thrasher!

welcome onboard and to NZ too.

as everyone's already said, you've got great roads around there.

You might want to find your way up to Pukekohe when the other KB boys turn up for their sessions.

Hope to meet you one day too.

LB
21st September 2004, 05:44
Hi R1Thrasher. Welcome to NZ and to KiwiBiker.

You have some great roads. Ah, the Waioeka Gorge.....I've scraped my toesliders there a couple of times (it doesn't happen often!!).

Just take care if you're going round the coast road (SH35) - traditionally it seems to have more than its fair share of wandering livestock - everything from cows to sheep to pigs to horses...and sometimes humans wandering in the middle of the road too!

Gisborne used to have a street race which was really good, but the last one was nearly two years ago and I'm not sure that they'll run it again. It was down by the big Montana plant by the beach (can't remember the names of the streets)

jazbug5
21st September 2004, 07:06
...And hello from me!
How did you end up going to Gisbourne? Seems a bit random if you've not been to NZ before (but of course, you may have been).
Where in the Old Country are ye fae? (I'm an Aberdonian... just don't call me a Teuchter or mention sheep and I'll play nice..!)

:spudwave:

R1Thrasher
21st September 2004, 07:58
everyone for such a warm welcome....nearly as warm as the weather here in Gizzie.. :msn-wink: ....as soon as my baby arrives i'll post some pics....i've been out and about the area and know the roads you guys are talking about, i'm just ichin' to get on them, can't wait..!!!

toads
21st September 2004, 08:03
Hi R1Thrasher. Welcome to NZ and to KiwiBiker.

You have some great roads. Ah, the Waioeka Gorge.....I've scraped my toesliders there a couple of times (it doesn't happen often!!).

Just take care if you're going round the coast road (SH35) - traditionally it seems to have more than its fair share of wandering livestock - everything from cows to sheep to pigs to horses...and sometimes humans wandering in the middle of the road too!

Gisborne used to have a street race which was really good, but the last one was nearly two years ago and I'm not sure that they'll run it again. It was down by the big Montana plant by the beach (can't remember the names of the streets)
solander street, in the industrial subdivision

toads
21st September 2004, 08:05
Welcome to KB & NZ Thrasher!

You say "where is everyone" but that is obvious - not in Gisborne! Come and move up to Auckland (don't read the "Auckland" thread though) and you'll see bikes, move down to Wellington and you'll see some too...when it's not windy and raining. :msn-wink: I am envious of your Gisborne roads though!

The North Is. tracks are at Pukekohe near Auckland, Taupo (closest to you), and Feilding (Manfield). Keep a close eye on the Meetings and Events Forums for past & future meets.

Enjoy your stay.

Zed

Ps. Nice choice of machine. Have you got any pics you can post in your profile or gallery?

Excuse me Zed, no poaching bikers from Gisborne thankyou very much :ar15:

R1Thrasher
21st September 2004, 08:13
...And hello from me!
How did you end up going to Gisbourne? Seems a bit random if you've not been to NZ before (but of course, you may have been).
Where in the Old Country are ye fae? (I'm an Aberdonian... just don't call me a Teuchter or mention sheep and I'll play nice..!)

:spudwave:

We have friends here who emmigrated a couple of years ago...we've been on holiday a couple of times to Gizzie and really liked the weather and laidback lifestyle, then in Dec 03 i was made redundant so instead of wastin' away in the uk lookin' for work we thought we would use the money to finance a move to NZ. My partners a nurse so she got work at the hospital here no problem....as for me i'm still lookin' :disapint: but i'm sure i'll pick something up soon enough.....so you're a sheep sha...... only kidding, i'm from Alexandria down by Loch Lomond and my partner's from Renfrew......what's your story then....

Juan
21st September 2004, 09:37
Ah someone I can pester the life out of for info about getting there :devil2:

Not really been on long enough to welcome .... but will anyway :done:

magnum
27th September 2004, 14:33
hello and welcome. :spudwave:

scumdog
27th September 2004, 15:48
Hoots mon, c'mon in, here geeus yur jaecket!

Welcome, it's a grand wee country no doot! You must be in the wrong part of the country, had 15 to 20 bikes go past my place yesterday afternoon, just in ones & twos.
Guy on a retro style Bonneville saw me hacking down the toi-toi and stopped for a yarn & smoke so there are bikes out there.

NC
27th September 2004, 16:28
Welcome :D

duckman
27th September 2004, 16:58
What kinda work are you looking fer ???

R1Thrasher
29th September 2004, 07:20
What kinda work are you looking fer ???

i,ve spent the last 20 years working in the Warehouse , Dristribution, Logistics world so something similar or something new i don't really mind much..! i know there are loads of jobs in that field in Auckland but down here in Gizzy it's a bit tougher trying to get something....

Ghost Lemur
29th September 2004, 14:35
i,ve spent the last 20 years working in the Warehouse , Dristribution, Logistics world so something similar or something new i don't really mind much..! i know there are loads of jobs in that field in Auckland but down here in Gizzy it's a bit tougher trying to get something....

I suppose Tauranga is a bit too far away to work (could be a fun daily commute though ;)). I think that's you nearest port. Cajun would probably have a better clue.

Blackbird
29th September 2004, 17:41
There are a lot of logistics outfits operating out of the Port of Tauranga, including the company I work for, Carter Holt Harvey. The logistics arm is called Lodestar. A bit far if you intend to stay in Gisborne though.

If you look up "Logistics vacancies in NZ" in Google, you'll find a heap of positions although not necessarily in Gisborne. Alternatively, stay in Gisborne, grow grapes or electric puha (someone else will explain that :2thumbsup ) and chill out.

Geoff

wari
29th September 2004, 20:35
...Guy ...saw me hacking down the toi-toi and stopped for a yarn & smoke ...

HOpe ya hadda resourse consent fer that mate ... :moon:

AH yeah R1thrasherr .. welcome to you too .. :moon:

oh ... worde of warnin' ...

KEep an eyeout fer the native GIante Gisborn cockroaches mate ... they'll have yer legge as quicke as loockitya ... :yeah:

wari
30th September 2004, 06:40
THe otherr thingk to note about GIsborne is ..

THey grow best and I Mean THE best ORanges in the knowne worlde ...

ANd thatsa fact ... and I only deal in facts ... :yeah: and supposition and circumstantial evidince ... :confused:

LB
1st October 2004, 05:00
THe otherr thingk to note about GIsborne is ..

THey grow best and I Mean THE best ORanges in the knowne worlde ...

ANd thatsa fact ... and I only deal in facts ... :yeah: and supposition and circumstantial evidince ... :confused:
I'm defintely with Wari on this one. We often try to go up around September to gorge ourselves..... (didn't manage it this year due to stink weather)

inlinefour
27th January 2005, 23:54
Welcome and enjoy :banana: