PDA

View Full Version : Possible project bike - how much do you reckon it's worth?

El Dopa
3rd July 2007, 21:28
I've been keeping an eye out for a project bike for a little while - basically the same model of bike I have now - so that I can strip bits off it, tinker with them, and bolt them onto my main machine if the tinkering bears fruit.

Out of the blue, I've been offered one by somebody who indirectly found me through a TradeMe auction.

The bike on offer is more or less the same as mine - '91 gsf400 - close enough that more or less all the parts are direct swaps.

However, the bike sounds pretty munted up:

crashed at least once (with unspecified damage),
busted CDI,
chopped up seat,
amateur re-paint job,
no clocks,
no reg/wof (duh, obviously).

Sounds like someones track project that fell by the wayside, which doesn't bother me particularly.

I've no idea if the seller is on KB (hello, if you're reading this).

What does the combined wisdom of KB consider to be a reasonable offer?

vamr
3rd July 2007, 21:58
$600 would be a decent price but less would work too!

I am confused though what "tinkering" would you be refering too that would bare fruit on a gsf400?

Depending on how much money you want to sink of course wouldn't something more purpose built be more worthwhile as a weekend toy... (I'd say a 250 2t but I'm biased).

Clivoris
3rd July 2007, 22:22
It might be worth what, 2 grand if it was going and legal? I wouldn't pay 600 cos it would cost way more than 1400 to get it road-worthy. 300 to take it away.

Conquiztador
3rd July 2007, 23:02
the owner stripped down and sold the bits (and assuming they are OK) he should get about:
$50/wheel
$350 for motor
$30 for seat
$30 for carbi
$50 for complete muffler and pipes
$50 for lights etc.
$100 for other bits he can scavange off.

So all up about $700 - $800 give or take. But that means waiting for ppl to buy bits. It can take months. And there is the job of dismantling

Not dismantling U get less. But less hassle.

I would not pay over $400 as no plates. And that is if the motor runs ok.

But she is worth what someone pays. And as long as you are happy with the price you pay then that is the correct price.

Good Luck.

El Dopa
4th July 2007, 20:22
If the owner stripped down and sold the bits that means waiting for ppl to buy bits. It can take months. And there is the job of dismantling

Not dismantling U get less. But less hassle.

That's more or less what I was thinking. I just wanted to know if my low, low offer was even going to be in the right ballpark.

I am confused though what "tinkering" would you be refering too that would bare fruit on a gsf400?

Well, the thing is, I love my bike, even though logically it's a long way from being the 'right' bike for me (heart rules head in this case). I also love mucking around on modification projects, even though I'm not all that great mechanically.

I love 'personalised' stuff. Off the shelf is great, logically speaking, but personalised makes my heart beat just that little bit faster.

After doing my reseach, this is what I think would bear fruit on a gsf400 (and yes, you're right. I should instead buy another bike with the money).

Engine:

1) 450cc overbore
2) rebuild the carbs with a race kit from Factory Pro
3) replace the airbox with pods
4) modification of the cam inlet/outlet
5) Yoshi headers and a decent can (I already have these).

Frame:

1) Bikini fairing
2) gsxr750 rear shock (slots straight in, depending on the year)
3) front end swap for USD forks. gsxr600 or 750 fits up ok, dpending on the year.

El Dopa
4th July 2007, 20:24
300 to take it away.

Just offered $250. Let's see.......

Conquiztador
4th July 2007, 21:18
Just offered $250. Let's see.......

offers more then they really want it. Oooopsss.. U really want it too...

El Dopa
5th July 2007, 20:01
offers more then they really want it. Oooopsss.. U really want it too...

Yikes, they accepted!

Should have offered $200.

Conquiztador
5th July 2007, 20:08
Yikes, they accepted!

I learnt this long ago: Any deal you are doing, as long as you are happy with the price you offer, the price you have put on whatever you are selling, then it is fine. That there is someone who would have paid more or sold it cheeper is not the issue. Just remember that when you set the price/made the offer you were ok with it. That has not changed.

Well done thou!

Clivoris
5th July 2007, 20:13
Yikes, they accepted!

Nice dealing man. That's a great price. I'd be stoked to pay that for an NC29 in the same condition. (just in case anyone is reading who happens to have an NC29 lying around in disrepair).

El Dopa
5th July 2007, 20:18
Yeah, i'm happy with that price - I already knew that when I offered.

NOW what is a concern is getting the additional money for the mods I want past the missus.....:yes: