PDA

View Full Version : Touring maps - Australia

rustys
4th July 2007, 20:59
Hi folks, i will be traveling on a bike in Australia for a month in September to October. Starting in Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth, then into the outback for three weeks, up to Alice springs, Cooper Pedy, then Great Ocean Road back to Melbourne. :drool:

Needing some good road maps for, States of Victoria,South Australia,and Western Australia.
Anyone got any info on what would be a good map to get, and where ? would require small compacked type book map so as not to take up to much room.

Have just finished a good book "TWISTED THROTTLE" written by a kiwi bloke who last year did a circumnavigate of Australia on a Suzuki V strom in 35 days, available in most bookshops at a reasonable price. A very good story well worth the read.:rockon:

Hitcher
4th July 2007, 21:01
What you need is the "Australia Motorcycle Atlas" with Peter Thoeming's Top 100 Rides. Published by Hema Maps, you should be able to get one from Whitcoulls. ISBN-10: 1-86500-236-1

The Prez
4th July 2007, 21:15
I did 20,000kms round Ozy last year in 5 weeks and it was a blast.The Peter Thoeming book is the one to get.There was no speed limits in the Northern Territory when I was there but the pricks have brought in a 130kph limit now.I was overtaken by a cop while doing 140ks,still gives you a twinge when it happens even though it was legal.He was cruising at about 160ks(I think he was showing off). Had a drag with a Camry going into Darwin.It was a traveller in a company car and he stopped for a yak,said it would only do 200ks flat stick,I passed him doing 220ks and all legal!!!! (sort of)

greenman
8th July 2007, 16:58
Mr Prez, perhaps you could lend him yours including the bad penny.

Lance
8th July 2007, 22:45
I just ordered a map from the 4 wheel adventure guys for the Plenty hw across Queensland and into Alice. They seem to have a good tab on things. May see you on your travels will be on a Marone V Strom1000 planing to be around Sth Oz this spring

Lance

Steam
12th July 2007, 18:46
What you need is the "Australia Motorcycle Atlas" with Peter Thoeming's Top 100 Rides.

I just bought this for $29 from the Map Shop, good book! Thanks Hitcher.

It has great maps but I will be looking for a more detailed map or atlas too, like NZ's Heineman or the Reed NZ atlas. The scale isn't quite close enough on the Motorcycle Atlas.

What's the best map / atlas of all?

I'd love to tote a PDA with a complete set of Aussie topomaps on it but that's a dream for when I win lotto. *drools* aaaahh sweeet topomaps...

Lance
12th July 2007, 20:16
After loosing my motorcycle Bible up north queensland I didnt buy anymore maps. At the camping grounds around Oz they have a Camping ground book which has good maps of there area including all tourist routs and things of interest. They also had inserts of all towns. These are free and available all over the place. There will be one for Nth Queensland Central Queensland Sth queensland ect. Just biff them when you get out of the erea of if they get too wet or tattered and get another one. Beats trying to keep hold of an expensive atlas through you entire trip.

Lance

rustys
12th July 2007, 21:00
Hi Guys, Thanks for all the help and advice. Have decided to bite the bullet and go for a GPS, saves pulling out maps all the time, and should be a lot easier traveling through citys, which i hate.
Just purcased a fairly new "Navman F20" complete with NZ maps and extras off "Trade Me" for $415 delivered.
Picked up the current Australian Map which covers 99% of Aussy from www.TheSatNavstore.com on special for $156.93 delivered. I just think this may be a better way to go. Mount the package on the handle bars and away we go.
I also see a nice relitivley priced Givi T448 universal handlebar plate being sold through Eurobike Wholesale for $ 49 advertised in the latest Kiwi Rider. Great for Radar Detectors, Gps, cell phones etc.:rockon:

Jesta
17th July 2007, 19:52
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Books/Nonfiction/Travel/Australia/auction-108820690.htm

denill
7th September 2007, 08:18
Yes, the GPS HAS to be the way to go.

You may want to check out this <a href=http://www.racq.com.au/cps/rde/xchg/racq_cms_production/hs.xsl/travel_trip_planner_ENA_HTML.htm>RACQ Trip Planner</A> also.

Planning on a shortish trip in March.:soon::soon: