PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle mantiance Recording

Cajun
21st September 2004, 12:21
Okay people i am in the process of writing some software to record, information about mantaince of your motorcycle. Does anyone have any other ideas i could put in it?

Inital cost,
fuel cost, (record average milege per tank etc etc)
serving costs, with information
tire useage(kms per tires etc etc)
You will be able to export/import data

Any one have any other ideas they would like to see in a program to keep a record of motorcycle costs for them??

F5 Dave
21st September 2004, 12:32
Why on earth would you want to know that??? :eek5:

Imagine if this information fell into the wrong hands :sweatdrop

Blakamin
21st September 2004, 12:33
Okay people i am in the process of writing some software to record, information about mantaince of your motorcycle. Does anyone have any other ideas i could put in it?

Inital cost,

Any one have any other ideas they would like to see in a program to keep a record of motorcycle costs for them??
How about

Reg
WoF
Monthly payments (optional)
gear tracking.. i.e. last helmet was 5 years old etc.

Cajun
21st September 2004, 12:35
How about

Reg
WoF
Monthly payments (optional)
gear tracking.. i.e. last helmet was 5 years old etc.

hmmmm yup its going to have a wof section, so you can record stuff like that, also if it fails for something record that.

Gear tracking is something else i could add

Cajun
21st September 2004, 12:36

hahahah dave well some of us like to keep records of what happens/do to a motorcycle, cause ya end up loosing those bits of paper from services etc etc

Blakamin
21st September 2004, 12:37

good poit F5!
the mrs would freak... i might have to password my copy
or have "false" books :2thumbsup

wildfire1
21st September 2004, 12:39
I have a programme I use, and it also records:
Insurance cost, Rego, WOF etc.
The system adds all the cost up (running tally), and tells me what service items are due when (Date and Klm). :spudwave:

Cajun
21st September 2004, 12:39
good poit F5!
the mrs would freak... i might have to password my copy
or have "false" books :2thumbsup

that easy enough to do password in the program dc:<

gav
21st September 2004, 12:41
does it have spell check?

Blakamin
21st September 2004, 12:41
that easy enough to do password in the program dc:<
Excellent!

F5 Dave
21st September 2004, 12:46
Yeah but what about keeping the information from yourself?

Helmet age? Hmm, check fashionability, check flash new helmet you want.

Of course it needs replacing! & what about those boots with the endangered species sliders?

Cajun
21st September 2004, 12:50
I have a programme I use, and it also records:
Insurance cost, Rego, WOF etc.
The system adds all the cost up (running tally), and tells me what service items are due when (Date and Klm). :spudwave:

is that http://www.ftwo.com/ program??

thats only one i really seen around, but i must say i not looked for one inabout 1 1/2 years

k14
21st September 2004, 12:51
Yeah thats a great idea cajun. I already use an excel spreadsheet to keep track of all the petrol I use. It automatically calculates the litres/100 kms etc for my bike and all that crap.

Are you goin to do it via a database or something like that? Would be very helpful. Just make sure you can track multiple bikes with one file.

Cajun
21st September 2004, 12:53
Yeah thats a great idea cajun. I already use an excel spreadsheet to keep track of all the petrol I use. It automatically calculates the litres/100 kms etc for my bike and all that crap.

Are you goin to do it via a database or something like that? Would be very helpful. Just make sure you can track multiple bikes with one file.

Yeah i use excel currently as well i have recorded everything i have done to my bike with dates, since 0kms

Yeah it will use a datafile back end, not really big enough to use a database, it will support multiple bikes, since i have multiple bikes i want to keep track off

wildfire1
21st September 2004, 13:30
is that http://www.ftwo.com/ program??

thats only one i really seen around, but i must say i not looked for one inabout 1 1/2 years

No ......I made it myself, pretty basic really , just an Excel spreadsheet with some formulas. The trick was getting the original information into each spreadsheet, and then setting up a formula to count down months/ klm.

Really only good for personal use for keeping an eye on the costs for our two bikes, and as a reminder for servicing items - i.e brake fluid evey two years/ km 12,000 etc.

Thanks for the link - I would be interested to see if there are any other good program's, I could only find ones for car costs.

F5 Dave
21st September 2004, 13:41
I recently travelled with a chap who jotted down every fuel stop amount & mileage, calculated it on his phone & exclaimed what economy he was doing since the last stop. Which was often as he didn't want to risk getting on to the reserve (seemed like the bottom 1/2 was taboo also) in case he ran out of fuel & the world stopped, despite when I calculated (with his info) that his reserve had about 80 range in it.

What a total bore. Sometimes I’ll work it out in my head but :whocares:

Cajun
21st September 2004, 14:02
No ......I made it myself, pretty basic really , just an Excel spreadsheet with some formulas. The trick was getting the original information into each spreadsheet, and then setting up a formula to count down months/ klm.

Really only good for personal use for keeping an eye on the costs for our two bikes, and as a reminder for servicing items - i.e brake fluid evey two years/ km 12,000 etc.

Thanks for the link - I would be interested to see if there are any other good program's, I could only find ones for car costs.

Wildfire that program is very out of date, i am in process of making something simlar to that, just seeing if there is something in a program other people would be after.

FROSTY
21st September 2004, 14:48
how about going further with it and including stuff like gearing,fuel mixtures tyre compound,tyre pressures. Weather conditions. temp etc
Then we can use it for a race log book :msn-wink:

Cajun
21st September 2004, 14:52
how about going further with it and including stuff like gearing,fuel mixtures tyre compound,tyre pressures. Weather conditions. temp etc

well that might the race add on, i will get the basic program for every day user sorted, i already decided i want to add a section for the racer to log information

Blakamin
21st September 2004, 14:55

Some of us non racers might be into the weather, tyre pressure bizzo. for personal races against my head... i.e up paekak hill and back sorta thing

wari
21st September 2004, 15:01
HOw about trakcing DImme witted olde gitte drivers ...

LIke the peedofile registerr ... ? :spudwhat:

Yamahamaman
21st September 2004, 18:04

Inital cost,

MSMoney is already doing most of that for me.

Paul in NZ
21st September 2004, 18:25
I record what I did... like changed oil etc Don't care about the cost...

My smile o meter is always in the happy zone...

Paul N

Jackrat
21st September 2004, 18:34
How about,where I left the keys? :argh:
I mess with bike every weekend, an do oil changes so often I don't need to know the cost.
That could get scary an the Mrs might find out. :eek5:

Mr Skid
21st September 2004, 19:04
How about a module for recording each time you crash and the repair costs.

You'd be able to work your km/bin, and see if you were crashing more often.

A $/bin calculation would allow you to see if your crashes were getting more spectacular.

You could even keep a tally of the cost of repairs, and see at what point it would have been more economical to have bought a new bike.

NC
21st September 2004, 19:09
does it have spell check?

:killingme :killingme

ching_ching
21st September 2004, 19:43
Hi Cajun,

How bout an accessories feature with an image field so you can take a digipic of your baby after adding your aftermarket blinkers / can / screen etc with provision to record colour, manufacturer, serial no, etc. One may already have a pic of the bike in standard regalia when just bought say, and use that as reference (might be useful for insurance purposes). Or will you incorporate it in version 10.9.8.7.6.5.a.b.c.d.Beta :niceone:

k14
21st September 2004, 19:48
Yeah and to add to that maybe a place where you can keep a ride/race "diary" where you can write about the day and have a catalogue of pics you took on the day.

Angry Puppy
21st September 2004, 19:49
How about being able to store step-by-step digi photos and notes so that when you are doing maintenance, you have a record of what went where and in what order?

FB

ching_ching
21st September 2004, 22:34
BTW what software you using. Not that I know jackshit about databases, or languages.
:eek:

ching

FROSTY
21st September 2004, 22:55
cvourse ya could alwayss buy a simple a4 book and use that

Cajun
22nd September 2004, 07:51
ching ching, well i wasn't gonna use a db back end, by looks of it i might have to use something small like gay msde,

lanuage i not to sure off, we just got delphi 8 here at work could use that, might end up using .net i can write something quickly and easy in that. and also makes it easy for other people to modify change to there own needs.

xj - some of our hand writing is hard to read dc:< like me

ching_ching
22nd September 2004, 08:15
ching ching, well i wasn't gonna use a db back end, by looks of it i might have to use something small like gay msde,

lanuage i not to sure off, we just got delphi 8 here at work could use that, might end up using .net i can write something quickly and easy in that. and also makes it easy for other people to modify change to there own needs.

xj - some of our hand writing is hard to read dc:< like me

Cool

:niceone: