PDA

View Full Version : Adventure Assault #3: MMMMM 07

clint640
5th July 2007, 14:48
Back by popular demand, The MMMMM Ride is on again for the weekend of 18/19 August.

WHERE: The Hot Bread Shop Cafe, 43 St John St, Opotiki

WHEN: 10:00am Saturday 18 August

WHAT: Bring warm gear, sleeping bag, $20 koha for dinner & accomodation

Limit 12 people - register early here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&ea=attend&e=1318)

Last years ride report: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146148

I'm based at Hauparu Bay, Lake Rotoiti, about 15min from Rotorua. Anybody that wants to stay at my place on the Friday night is welcome, there are plenty of beds, just fire me a PM. We'll organise dinner & beers either at my place or at a pub in Rotovegas closer to the time. I'll be leaving 8ish on the Saturday, PM if you want to hook up for the ride to Opotiki.

From Opotiki we go down the coast a little way then turn up the Motu Road, it's about 70km of rugged gravel through to Matawai where there is fuel & a pub. After light refreshments at Matawai we head North a little way on hwy 2 then turn up Koranga Valley road & follow it to the end & Journey's End Station, owned by my friends Rob & Ann Sherman. We'll stay in the shearer's quarters which are quite modern & well appointed. I've arranged for some beer to be installed in the chiller for us, & Ann has offered to cook us dinner (going from previous experience 'banquet' would be a more appropriate term!)

If the numbers go large any extras can stay at the Matawai Pub, Ph 06 862 4874, it's about 45min from there to the Station, or carry on to Gisborne or Wairoa & meet us at Frasertown.

On Sunday those with small tanks can gas up at the farm tank (bring cash) then we'll head out via Rere & a web of backroads to Tiniroto then Frasertown. Then it's up hwy 38 to Tuai & a gas stop at the Waikaremoana motor camp. After traversing the wilds of Tuhoe country we'll stop at the Minginui turnoff, If we are making good time we'll head South on the edge of Kaingaroa Forest to the Napier Taupo road at Waipunga & maybe a goodbye beer at the Rangitaiki Pub. This option will require decent fuel range. If we are running short of daylight at Minginui we'll just bail out down hwy 38, there's gas at Murupara 'til 6pm, then maybe an ale at the Waiotapu Pub before going our separate ways.

Anybody who needs a bed Sunday night, either in Taupo or at my place at Rotoiti, fire me a PM.

Remember this is a MIDWINTER ride. It may be cold & wet, last time we rode through snow, be prepared!

Distances:

Opotiki - Matawai 75km
Matawai - Journey's End Station 30km
Journey's End - Frasertown 150km
Frasertown - Waikaremoana 50km
Waikaremoana - Te Whaiti 70km (no fuel available)
Te Whaiti - Rangitaiki Pub 75km (no fuel available)
Rangitaiki Pub - Taupo 35 km

Alternate route Te Whaiti - Murupara 20km
Murupara - Waiotapu 40km

Cheers
Clint

igor
5th July 2007, 20:57
wots the story with refueling ever 20kms. My PeeDee super tanka can do it on one tank

oldrider
5th July 2007, 21:28
How the hell did my name get enrolled on your list? :nono: John.

(Not that I wouldn't mind going if I were able)

Oops, I guess I did that myself when I checked to see how many were going! Sorry Clint! Enjoy the ride.

clint640
6th July 2007, 10:16
wots the story with refueling ever 20kms. My PeeDee super tanka can do it on one tank

We'll hold you to that, & just point & laugh when we ride past yer dry tanked airhead 20k outta Taupo :bleh:

...after we've drained out a few litres the night before :innocent:

Last time I got lotsa q's about 'is my tank big enough?' so I'm just tryin to keep the masses informed.

Cheers
Clint

Balrog
6th July 2007, 18:45
Hey All

Pretty keen on the ride, just sorting out work schedule to make sure I can
get away :)

Jim

Big Dave
6th July 2007, 19:19
Yeah alright sounds good. - I'll stay at pyes pa on friday night - that's a great cafe in opotiki too.

Probably be on the Tractor - if it's shitful I'll bail and still pay you for the accom. deal?

BTW - I've stayed st the motel Wairoa - the shearers SHED would smell better.

marks
6th July 2007, 21:23
Yeah alright sounds good. - I'll stay at pyes pa on friday night - that's a great cafe in opotiki too.

Probably be on the Tractor - if it's shitful I'll bail and still pay you for the accom. deal?

BTW - I've stayed st the motel Wairoa - the shearers SHED would smell better.

are you borrowing Clints sister sleeping bag?

Big Dave
7th July 2007, 00:17
are you borrowing Clints sister sleeping bag?

And he better have matching pillows.

young1
7th July 2007, 19:17
Judi wants to know whether any other women are going?
The offer of accomodation on Friday night in Rotorua and on Sunday in Taupo, is that on a floor or on a bed?
The finish point for the ride on Sunday, how far (riding time) is that from Taupo?
What time do you see the ride finishing on Sunday?

Sorry about all questions, I dont know that part of the country very well and just trying to sort out logistics (eg how much leave do I need to take etc etc)

gunna
8th July 2007, 06:57
Judi wants to know whether any other women are going?
The offer of accomodation on Friday night in Rotorua and on Sunday in Taupo, is that on a floor or on a bed?
The finish point for the ride on Sunday, how far (riding time) is that from Taupo?
What time do you see the ride finishing on Sunday?

Sorry about all questions, I dont know that part of the country very well and just trying to sort out logistics (eg how much leave do I need to take etc etc)

I'm thinking my wife or daughter might be hitchin with me, depends on the whether (that's whether either one is talking to me as opposed to the other weather, which has far less to do with it):bye:

clint640
9th July 2007, 09:00
Cool! looks like we've got a full team already.

Big Dave: Most of the roads we'll be doing are rocky rather than muddy & don't deteriorate much in the wet, you should be fine on the tractor.

No one needs to pay if they don't make it but if you know in advance please de-register & make it known here that there is a spare place.

Young1: There's heaps of actual beds at the lake house for Friday night, & a double & a fold out couch at my old place in Taupo. The Taupo pad is pretty rough though, maybe not very missus friendly :shit:

Both potential finish points are about 30min from Taupo.

I'd expect to be finishing up the ride around 5pm on the Sunday, it can be pretty hard to tell, especially with a big group, hence the option of cutting out the Waipunga section if we're running late.

Cheers
Clint

Garry.W
9th July 2007, 11:50
Clint,

I'll stay with my Mum in Paengaroa on the Friday night and meet you guys in Opotiki on Saturday morning for coffee before we head off.

A place to stay on the Sunday night, either Rotoiti or Taupo, would be good though. I'll use Monday to get back to Wellington, probably down through Turakina Valley if anyone else wants to come that way.

Cheers
Garry

tri boy
9th July 2007, 13:08
Hi Clint,

I may need a couch/bed on the Fri.
As for Sunday, I guess we will work that out through the ride.:yes:
I'm housetrained (:shutup:). And rarely drag road kill into the kitchen.:sick:

Zukin
9th July 2007, 13:38
Hey Clint

I will also need a bed on Friday night :yes:

As for the way home I will either take Monday off work and have a leisurely ride home or go through Waipunga :yes:

Cheers Scott

clint640
9th July 2007, 13:46
No worries guys, you're all booked in.

Cheers
C

young1
9th July 2007, 14:23
can my wife and I grab a couple of beds for the Friday night?

We will more than likely head back to the Naki on Monday morning, Sunday night we will look for somewhere to stay, plenty of time for that though.

clint640
9th July 2007, 15:30
can my wife and I grab a couple of beds for the Friday night?

We will more than likely head back to the Naki on Monday morning, Sunday night we will look for somewhere to stay, plenty of time for that though.

No worries, there's a double bed in it's own room you guys can have.

Cheers
Clint

young1
9th July 2007, 16:02
No worries, there's a double bed in it's own room you guys can have.

Cheers
Clint

excellent thanks Clint! Judi is still new at this bike thing so the better I make it the more she enjoys it!

Glad to see you have a KTM as well which will help to dilute the large numbers of BMWs!!

Taz
9th July 2007, 20:10
I see your already up past 12 riders.... Oh well maybe next time.

Zukin
9th July 2007, 23:24
I see your already up past 12 riders.... Oh well maybe next time.

But there will be a waiting list :yes:
So if you are keen just let Clint640 know so if someone drops out, you maybe in luck :yes:

clint640
10th July 2007, 08:44
But there will be a waiting list :yes:
So if you are keen just let Clint640 know so if someone drops out, you maybe in luck :yes:

Yep, there's bound to be 1 or 2 who can't make it, there's also the option of coming along & staying at the Matawai pub as I assume Goblin & Young1 are planning to do, you'll just have to get away 45 min before the rest of us to meet up on Sunday am.

Cheers
Clint

young1
10th July 2007, 22:16
We wont miss any of the good riding if we stay at the pub?

The pub is an okay place to stay?

Please put Judi and I on the "wait" list for anyone who changes their mind about the ride.

clint640
11th July 2007, 10:36
You guys are already on the waiting list. You'll only miss the last 9km of road into the station if you stay at the pub, the pub has a good bar & does a good feed, never stayed there myself. Closer to the time I'll send out detailed instructions on how to get to the meetup point for any pub dwellers.

The 1st post has now been updated with distances & a map.

Cheers
Clint

gunna
12th July 2007, 06:03
[QUOTE=clint640;1121236]Back by popular demand, The MMMMM Ride is on again for the weekend of 18/19 August.

Limit 12 people - register early here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&ea=attend&e=1318)

How do you add one of these registration lists to the thread?

clint640
12th July 2007, 08:11
[QUOTE=clint640;1121236]Back by popular demand, The MMMMM Ride is on again for the weekend of 18/19 August.

How do you add one of these registration lists to the thread?

Just click on the 'calendar' link at the top of the page, select onroad or offroad & go from there.

Cheers
Clint

Big Dave
12th July 2007, 19:15
You guys are already on the waiting list. You'll only miss the last 9km of road into the station if you stay at the pub, the pub has a good bar & does a good feed, never stayed there myself. Closer to the time I'll send out detailed instructions on how to get to the meetup point for any pub dwellers.

The 1st post has now been updated with distances & a map.

Cheers
Clint

I'll go to the pub - got a contact number?

Taz
12th July 2007, 19:27
MATAWAI HISTORIC HOTEL
P O Box 2030, Matawai
Ph 862 4874

Big Dave
14th July 2007, 14:24
Thank you - wasn't sure of the name.

young1
26th July 2007, 17:04
On the Sunday night we will more than likely be staying in Taupo, can anyone suggest a good motel (not too expensive) that is bike friendly (eg can hide the bike away somewhere)?

bart
29th July 2007, 11:43
Sorry guys, but I'm out for this one. Too many other commitments at the moment, with work, and we're behind on house renovations (first kid due in a couple of months). Running out of weekends.

Have fun.

young1
1st August 2007, 16:28
Today I bought a new road atlas (the NZ Motorcycle Atlas) and have finally worked out exactly where we are going. It looks awesome! Not long now to the trip, one question - who is in charge of organising some good weather?

Garry.W
2nd August 2007, 07:41
one question - who is in charge of organising some good weather?

Sorted :sunny:

young1
2nd August 2007, 08:01
Sorted :sunny:

Great I will hold you to that!

tri boy
2nd August 2007, 15:45
Not too many more sleeps until we over run Clint with our enthusiasm. I will probably pack and repack the bike a couple of times just to get in the swing of things. (Is that normal, or have i been in Hamtown for too long)?:whocares:
Nobody forget there camera, and Crisis, my flatulence is tuning up for a ripper of a weekend.:sick:
:puke:

Crisis management
2nd August 2007, 16:25
Nobody forget there camera, and Crisis, my flatulence is tuning up for a ripper of a weekend.:sick:

Sorry Brent, I have to pass on this ride so you'll have to inflict yourself on someone else.........

It's probably not that cold outside these nights. :innocent:

Have a bloody good time tho, I'd love to be there!

young1
2nd August 2007, 19:34
Not too many more sleeps until we over run Clint with our enthusiasm. I will probably pack and repack the bike a couple of times just to get in the swing of things. (Is that normal, or have i been in Hamtown for too long)?:whocares:

I think you have scared Clint off, be good to catch up again tri boy, hopefully it wont be as wet as Whanga!

clint640
3rd August 2007, 08:10

So my plan to cook up the house special chilli beans on the Friday night could be a bad bad idea? :D

Clint

Zukin
3rd August 2007, 10:38
So my plan to cook up the house special chilli beans on the Friday night could be a bad bad idea? :D

Clint

Go on do it, as long as we are at the front, I dont care :scooter:

windboy
3rd August 2007, 20:28
I'm very jealous guys but got my boy's first birthday that weekend. The route looks epic; best of lucks with the weather and hope to join you again on the next one -maybe the waikato wwwww that that crazy dude on the triumph is sorting out?-

DAMN I got itchy tyres!

later,

young1
7th August 2007, 08:20
Clint can you please give me an idea of how many kms we will be doing on the Sunday before we get more gas? We an fill up at the farm (correct?) but how long will it be until the next gas stop?

clint640
7th August 2007, 08:38
From the Station to Frasertown is 150km. I'm not sure if there's gas at Frasertown, but it's only a few km back into Wairoa if anybody is getting low. From Frasertown to Waikaremoana is 50km & there is definitely gas there.

Cheers
Clint

Balrog
7th August 2007, 18:19
Sorry guys,
I've had to pull out of the ride.

Works just snowballing a the moment and it's getting difficult to get away
and meet the deadlines.

As I can't be sure, I've removed myself from the list :crybaby:

Cheers Jim.

Zukin
7th August 2007, 21:06
Sorry guys,

and meet the deadlines.

Cheers Jim.

Gutted Jim :shit:

Must be busy as at work huh, I will send you a PM soon about the other plan :yes: Been crazy here too getting our daughter away and all

I really need this ride, looking forward to it

Shame you cant join us again Windboy!!

Cheers Scott

Garry.W
8th August 2007, 07:57
Sorry guys,

and meet the deadlines.

Cheers Jim.

So much for work/life balance :bye: Good ride Sunday, go to http://forum.bmwor.org.nz/index.php/topic,751.0.html for story and pics.

Catch up with you again soon, if you're not working :zzzz:

Big Dave
8th August 2007, 18:47
I'm out too. Thanks heaps Clint - but I have a gig on the Saturday that's just too juicy.

clint640
9th August 2007, 10:39
Bloody Work! it's the curse of the riding classes. Don't worry, we'll roost a bit of gravel & sink a few beers for ya. Hopefully see you guys on the next one.

Cheers
Clint

ducatijim
9th August 2007, 11:54
There is NO fuel at Frazertown.10km to Wairoa.

I will miss this 1 as well...SOoo much has/is happening in my life at the moment.
Will miss being there, but hey, youall enjoy, ya hear !!!

young1
9th August 2007, 12:55
I am not sure where to look, what numbers do we have now?

tri boy
9th August 2007, 17:27
I'm in.:Punk:

Garry.W
10th August 2007, 08:14
I am not sure where to look, what numbers do we have now?

Click "Calendar", go to date, then look for event.

Twelve bods still registered for this,

Big Dave has pulled out and fogotten to take his name off :zzzz: but my mate John is coming from Auckland on a Dakar, he's not registered on KB, so number is still the same.

I'm still in, will see the rest of you Opotiki on Saturday :yes:

Cheers,
Garry

Big Dave
10th August 2007, 08:34
Big Dave has pulled out and fogotten to take his name off :zzzz:

?? Big Dave didn't ever put his name ont' list.

Garry.W
10th August 2007, 09:54
?? Big Dave didn't ever put his name ont' list.

Blimey, tell me there's not two of you :gob:

Quote Calendar - "There are 12 people enrolled for this event:

Big Dave
bvaut
clint640
Garry.W
gunna
igor
javahead
marks
Oscar
tri boy
young1
Zukin"

bvaut
10th August 2007, 10:10
As you may need to go to Wairoa for petrol, theres a realy good cafe about 1/2 way along the main st if you are feeling hungry, and even the bakery is not too bad but i prefer a good coffee.

NordieBoy
11th August 2007, 15:17
It's a bugger when you click the link to have a look and it adds you to the list :D

Garry.W
11th August 2007, 16:10
It's a bugger when you click the link to have a look and it adds you to the list :D

Sneaky :yes:

marks
12th August 2007, 16:43
I am planning to take all day Friday to get to Clints.

Are there any online map thingys that would let me find the least sealed route between Raumati and Lake Rotoiti?

Any polite route suggestions would also be appreciated.

cheers

mark

young1
12th August 2007, 21:05
Clint we are still very much virgins when it comes to going away on the bike (only overnight trip so far was the wwwww ride). Other than the usual things, clothes, sleeping bags etc is there anything else that we should be bringing eg plates, cutlery etc?

I have spare tubes but not really sure yet how to fix a flat so I hope that someone is taking tyre levers and a pump? (honestly they will be my next purchase) And to show how much of a virgin we are I havent really looked to see how the wheels come off on the KTM (DR400s and KDX200 no sweat!)

clint640
13th August 2007, 10:34
It's slightly complicated, young1 counts as 2 people as he is bringing the missus, As does GarryW who is bringing a mate. Dave wasn't planning to stay at the station so wasn't part of the 12 person limit originally anyway. bvaut is currently #1 on the waiting list.

Cheers
Clint

Blimey, tell me there's not two of you :gob:

Quote Calendar - "There are 12 people enrolled for this event:

Big Dave
bvaut
clint640
Garry.W
gunna
igor
javahead
marks
Oscar
tri boy
young1
Zukin"

clint640
13th August 2007, 10:54

Are there any online map thingys that would let me find the least sealed route between Raumati and Lake Rotoiti?

cheers

mark

If you head towards Wanganui there's a cool road that follows the Whangaehu River up towards Ohakune, can't remember it's name though. There are quite a few interesting diversions in that area.

Clint we are still very much virgins when it comes to going away on the bike (only overnight trip so far was the wwwww ride). Other than the usual things, clothes, sleeping bags etc is there anything else that we should be bringing eg plates, cutlery etc?

I have spare tubes but not really sure yet how to fix a flat so I hope that someone is taking tyre levers and a pump? (honestly they will be my next purchase) And to show how much of a virgin we are I havent really looked to see how the wheels come off on the KTM (DR400s and KDX200 no sweat!)

You shouldn't need anything special, There's plates etc, tea & coffee, fridge, stove, microwave at the shearers quarters.

The one thing I haven't mentioned is that everybody will need to bring something for breakfast on the Sunday, I'm just going to make some porridge.

Cheers
Clint

tri boy
13th August 2007, 11:37
[QUOTE=clint640;1169569]If you head towards Wanganui there's a cool road that follows the Whangaehu River up towards Ohakune, can't remember it's name though. There are quite a few interesting diversions in that area.

Agree with Clint.:yes:
The Turakina Valley road, or Whangehu Valley are both excellent roads. Travel through Bulls and head up the valley at Turakina.(this can take you through to Tangiwhai, or divert you just nth of Taihape, pick up fuel in Taihape).
You will have to put up with either th desert road or National park depending which way you choose.
I will be heading to Clints on Fri, so maybe we can meet up.

young1
13th August 2007, 12:07
[QUOTE=clint640;1169569]
I will be heading to Clints on Fri, so maybe we can meet up.

Triboy which way are you going, I am heading that way Friday morning from New Plymouth.

tri boy
13th August 2007, 12:27
[QUOTE=tri boy;1169620]

Triboy which way are you going, I am heading that way Friday morning from New Plymouth.

PM sent.

Garry.W
13th August 2007, 17:21

cheers

mark

I'm taking Friday off, but will end up in Paengaroa for the night. Was thinking of heading to Marton then off up Turakina Valley Road, all the way to Tangiwhai. Right turn there as I figure the Desert Road is best option after that to Taupo, if that's where you're stopping. I could aim to be in Bulls about 10:00 if you wanted to meet up there.

Cheers
Garry

Garry.W
13th August 2007, 17:24
I hope that someone is taking tyre levers and a pump?

Yep, don't run tubes myself but there's always someone who needs these :yes:

young1
14th August 2007, 08:14
Clint Judi wont be there, I definitely will be though, sorry about that.

clint640
14th August 2007, 08:53
Clint Judi wont be there, I definitely will be though, sorry about that.

No worries, see you Friday.

bvaut, you're in if you're still keen!

Cheers
Clint

young1
14th August 2007, 10:05
Clint - remember we need directions on how to get to your place on Friday.

clint640
14th August 2007, 12:14
I PM'd ya the directions a while back young1, I'm about to PM all the starters with directions, ph #s etc so I'll include directions to my place.

So far I've got triboy, Zukin, young1, gunna & marks booked in for beds on Friday night. I'll cook up a big feed, who will be in for dinner?, & does anybody have a problem with the aforementioned chilli beans & nachos?

Cheers
Clint

young1
14th August 2007, 12:23
I PM'd ya the directions a while back young1, I'm about to PM all the starters with directions, ph #s etc so I'll include directions to my place.

So far I've got triboy, Zukin, young1, gunna & marks booked in for beds on Friday night. I'll cook up a big feed, who will be in for dinner?, & does anybody have a problem with the aforementioned chilli beans & nachos?

Cheers
Clint

You are so right, sorry.

Re dinner, THANK YOU but I am not a big eater so count me out, I will bring something. What time will you be home?

Zukin
14th August 2007, 12:26
You are so right, sorry.

Re dinner, THANK YOU but I am not a big eater so count me out, I will bring something. What time will you be home?

Hey a reminder that Judi wont be there, so you can eat what you like :laugh:

I'll be in for your chilli beans and nachos Clint :Punk:

Not sure what time I will be there, but I hope to leave the Bay at 3ish :mellow:

clint640
14th August 2007, 13:04
Sweet as, I'll be home from 5pm.

Cheers
Clint

tri boy
14th August 2007, 13:25
Beans and nachos:love:
I can be contacted on 0274622298, for those travelling on Fri near Hamilton.
I'm flexible on time, but will probably take an easy route to Clints. (don't want the Triumph to stress it self too early in the game:shutup:).

Garry.W
14th August 2007, 15:00
will probably take an easy route to Clints

Wouldn't want to rattle the pipe and slippers now, would we :innocent:

Look forward to meeting you tri boy, going to be a good weekend :yes:

Cheers
Garry

tri boy
14th August 2007, 15:07
Wouldn't want to rattle the pipe and slippers now, would we :innocent:

Look forward to meeting you tri boy, going to be a good weekend :yes:

Cheers
Garry

Touche.:yes:

young1
14th August 2007, 15:07
it is going to be an awesome weekend!

I havent decided on my route from New Plymouth yet, as I am now without a pillion (not that she would have minded) I might go via the Waitaanga's, and through Ohura, or the Coast Rd from Awakino and take the right turn so I end up in Pio Pio.

All good stuff!!!

marks
14th August 2007, 21:12
I'm taking Friday off, but will end up in Paengaroa for the night. Was thinking of heading to Marton then off up Turakina Valley Road, all the way to Tangiwhai. Right turn there as I figure the Desert Road is best option after that to Taupo, if that's where you're stopping. I could aim to be in Bulls about 10:00 if you wanted to meet up there.

Cheers
Garry

I will see you at Bulls - is the coffee kiosk thingy in Bulls or sanson? - if its in Bulls I'll see you there?. Cell is 0274499115

marks
14th August 2007, 21:15
I I'll cook up a big feed, who will be in for dinner?, & does anybody have a problem with the aforementioned chilli beans & nachos?

Cheers
Clint

I'm already drooling and farting in anticipation...

young1
14th August 2007, 21:36
I have just been in the garage putting the panniers back on. I noticed from my speedo that I have only done 30km since wwwww!!! We did have one ride planned about three weeks ago but the weather was shit, so I am really looking forward to the ride this weekend!

Bring it on!!

tri boy
14th August 2007, 21:36
Depending on the place that young1 and myself meet, I think we can rendezvous with marks and Garry. W.:scooter:
Im not sure which would be the best run to Clints place, but that will get sorted over the next day or two.:yes:

young1
14th August 2007, 21:41
Depending on the place that young1 and myself meet, I think we can rendezvous with marks and Garry. W.:scooter:
Im not sure which would be the best run to Clints place, but that will get sorted over the next day or two.:yes:

Triboy I have the whole day off, are you in Hamilton?

Do you have any thoughts on where we could meet?

We could meet others in Taupo

Zukin
14th August 2007, 21:49
If you are going to Taupo I maybe keen to meet you there :yes:
I was going to head along Broadlands Road to Rotovegas, maybe we could stop for a coffee at DucatiJims pad :yes:

Cheers Scott

young1
14th August 2007, 21:53
I was going to head along Broadlands Road to Rotovegas, maybe we could stop for a coffee at DucatiJims pad :yes:

Cheers Scott

How about everyone who is heading to Rotorua give some idea of when they will be in Taupo? Then we can see what can be co-ordinated. Does anyone know a better road than the main road to get from there to Rotorua.

I will start things off, if I ride directly (ie main roads) I could be in Taupo easily by 1.00pm, but I would like to take some of the back roads.

tri boy
14th August 2007, 21:58
Just had a quick look at a map. Maybe I can join up with young1 at Whakamaru (fuel there on hwy 30). That way, we can meet marks etc either at Atiamuri, or Rotovegas depending on which hwy they use (1 or 5) to reach Rotovegas.
How does that look?

Maybe Taupo would be a sensible meeting point. Fuel, roads out etc. I'll fit in with you guys as you are travelling further. Remember that Clint wont be there until 5.30ish

young1
14th August 2007, 22:07
Just had a quick look at a map. Maybe I can join up with young1 at Whakamaru (fuel there on hwy 30). That way, we can meet marks etc either at Atiamuri, or Rotovegas depending on which hwy they use (1 or 5) to reach Rotovegas.
How does that look?

That all looks good, from memory there is a shop just before you get to the gas station on the right hand side of the road (heading East).

Meeting there would be good, lets see what Marks etc say about meeting.

bvaut
15th August 2007, 06:59
Clint,

Yep i'm in still, so see you all in Opotiki Saturday. or maybe on the way through Whakatane on the way. If you are going that way otherwise you might be thinking of guys going to go through Taneatua and even Stanley road + a few others around Waiatahi to get to Opotiki first.

Garry.W
15th August 2007, 08:01
I will see you at Bulls - is the coffee kiosk thingy in Bulls or sanson? - if its in Bulls I'll see you there?. Cell is 0274499115

How about meet at Mobil station in Bulls @ 10:00 then? My cell 021 2206104

Cheers,
Garry

clint640
15th August 2007, 08:57
Clint,

Yep i'm in still, so see you all in Opotiki Saturday. or maybe on the way through Whakatane on the way. If you are going that way otherwise you might be thinking of guys going to go through Taneatua and even Stanley road + a few others around Waiatahi to get to Opotiki first.

You read my mind :D How long does it take to get to Opotiki from Kawerau via Taneatua? I thought if we're running on time we might be able to take in a couple of side loops. Manawahe Rd etc around the back of Rotoma is another cool diversion that only adds about 10min.

I'll PM you some more details, ph numbers etc.

Cheers
Clint

Zukin
15th August 2007, 13:21
You read my mind :D How long does it take to get to Opotiki from Kawerau via Taneatua? I thought if we're running on time we might be able to take in a couple of side loops. Manawahe Rd etc around the back of Rotoma is another cool diversion that only adds about 10min.

I'll PM you some more details, ph numbers etc.

Cheers
Clint

Manawahe :Punk:
I have done that in Targa a few times, a great piece of road
In fact we did it twice this year :yes:

young1
15th August 2007, 19:23
I presume Saturday morning we will stop somewhere for breakfast (or will we get to the hot bread shop in time for an eat)?

I can't remember who it was that guaranteed that the weather would be good, but I hope you havent forgotten!

Tri-boy I am not sure if we have definitely arranged to meet?

Clint how is space looking in your Taupo place for Sunday night?

tri boy
15th August 2007, 21:03
Okay Ramblers, time we set a meeting point. Also a time. I propose a time period between 2.00 -3.00pm at a suitable junction of hwy 1, hwy 5 in Taupo, Thus giving all a good period to get there, plus give us time to make clints place at a leisurely pace.
If any one knows of a Petrol station close to that area please post it.
I will stay in touch with young1. Whakamaru is still our first meeting point at aprox 1.00 -1.30. Will txt any one who wants to meet there. Just PM your Mob#.

bvaut
16th August 2007, 07:29
From Kawerau it would be around 45 minutes via Tanaetua and a little quicker through Whakatane Ohope on the main rd. If you where to go Kawerau- Tanaetua- Stanley rd - Opotiki then i would suggest 1 hr. They are logging on the first part of Stanley road about 6 km up so the surface is good but maybe some logging trucks- lucky as they use pitot vehicles in front, so some warning. The detours around Waiatahi would probably add another 10 -15 minues as well.

Bvaut

Rosie
16th August 2007, 08:17
If any one knows of a Petrol station close to that area please post it.

There's a BP station at Wairakei, on SH 5, about 1km south of the intersection with SH 1. And the pumps aren't on prepay :first:
I think it's even got one of those wild bean cafe things attached to it.

edit: that's the SH 1 & 5 intersection just north of Taupo. Not the start-of-the-napier-taupo-road one.

Garry.W
16th August 2007, 08:22
I can't remember who it was that guaranteed that the weather would be good, but I hope you havent forgotten!

:innocent: We'll get wet going North on Friday, but I'm quietly confident that my arrangements with the big fella preclude anything but a stunner for the weekend :sunny:

If I'm wrong :whocares: we'll have a great time :scooter:

young1
16th August 2007, 08:31
:innocent: We'll get wet going North on Friday, but I'm quietly confident that my arrangements with the big fella preclude anything but a stunner for the weekend :sunny:

If I'm wrong :whocares: we'll have a great time :scooter:

Okay on that reassurance I will pack my sun block and sun glasses and leave the balaclava, wet weather leggings, 6 layers of clothing etc at home!!

clint640
16th August 2007, 08:41
Clint how is space looking in your Taupo place for Sunday night?

Probably a bit tight unless you want to top & tail with GarryW or his mate sorry!

From Kawerau it would be around 45 minutes via Tanaetua and a little quicker through Whakatane Ohope on the main rd. If you where to go Kawerau- Tanaetua- Stanley rd - Opotiki then i would suggest 1 hr. They are logging on the first part of Stanley road about 6 km up so the surface is good but maybe some logging trucks- lucky as they use pitot vehicles in front, so some warning. The detours around Waiatahi would probably add another 10 -15 minues as well.

Bvaut

Cheers for that, I was planning to leave Rotoiti at 8, so that should give us plenty of time to nip around the back of Rotoma & go through Stanley Rd.

Cheers
Clint

young1
16th August 2007, 08:44
Probably a bit tight unless you want to top & tail with GarryW or his mate sorry!

Cheers
Clint

No probs

Thanks

I have also just realised for all you guys on BMWs that we will be passing a KTM dealer on the way to Clint's, just in case you "see the light" and want to look at trading UP

M

Zukin
16th August 2007, 09:27
I have also just realised for all you guys on BMWs that we will be passing a KTM dealer on the way to Clint's, just in case you "see the light" and want to look at trading UP
M

I also realised that we will pass a large number of Pubs on the way that have Tui on Tap, so we might just stop and talk about this over a pint!!!.....YEAH RIGHT :laugh:

ducatijim
16th August 2007, 09:57

Cheers Scott

That would be just fine; make me feel really sad!!!, no, really that would be good, however, if you are all doing the meet up at BP Wairakei for fuel after your re-group @ SH1/SH5 intersection, you can get all the food and coffee there you need!! You would need to detour away from SH1, say via Aratiatia/View roads to get across to Broadlands road then on to Reporoa.
From my place to Rotoiti you could take Goudies rd, Ngamotu rd, McKee( million $ highway- 'closed' to domestics(??) ) to Kawerau and then on down to the lake? Clint could verify if this would be 'wise'/feasable.
Let me know if yous want to do this and I will have the expresso machine primed ready!! Mrs mite do muffins!!

Garry.W
16th August 2007, 10:02

:shit: Don't you start :zzzz:

marks
16th August 2007, 10:50
I've decided to leave this morning (before 12 if I get my sh1t together).

Will go up to Ashurst and via Pohangina Valley West Road and up to Karewarewa then Upper Kawhatau and end up somewhere around Taihape for the night.

Would like to meet up in Taupo - can someone txt (0274499115) me the final meeting place (BP station at Wairakei? 2.00 -3.00pm?) on Friday please.

look forward to seeing you all

cheers

Mark

clint640
16th August 2007, 11:09
From my place to Rotoiti you could take Goudies rd, Ngamotu rd, McKee( million $ highway- 'closed' to domestics(??) ) to Kawerau and then on down to the lake? Clint could verify if this would be 'wise'/feasable.
Let me know if yous want to do this and I will have the expresso machine primed ready!! Mrs mite do muffins!!

I haven't been through McKee rd for ages, not sure what the security presence is like now, bikes are a bit obviously not forestry traffic. For a more legal option a Goudies - Northern Boundary - Ngamotu - Matahina - Te Teko - Rotoiti loop could be fun, probably about 3 hrs from Wairakei if going this way.

Cheers
Clint

young1
16th August 2007, 16:17
Tri Boy has got PC problems so if you have sent him a PM etc he may not have received it.

I am meeting him tomorrow around 1.30pm

Zukin
16th August 2007, 16:37
Hi there
I don't think I can make Taupo before 3pm, I cant leave here until about 2 if everything goes my way
So I will probably be in Taupo at 3.30ish

Cheers

Zukin
16th August 2007, 21:59
Is there anyone else heading South (Taupo or Napier) on Sunday?

If we run out of time on Sunday heading back and we cant do the Waipunga loop back to Taupo, I am keen to go that way anyway. :yes:

So if you are heading back to Taupo then tag along, you will enjoy the ride if time is against us as a group.

See ye tomorrow
Cheers Scott

clint640
17th August 2007, 09:01
I hope all you travellers have a good trip over, the weather is supposed to improve this arvo (it couldn't get much worse!)

Haven't heard from gunna or igor, are you guys still starters?

Cheers
Clint

young1
17th August 2007, 09:18
Packing the bike up now, just as the rain starts again :angry:

Too bad - worst day on the bike is still better than the best day in the office :yes:

See you all later!

Zukin
17th August 2007, 09:27
Haha

Pissing down here too, but supposed to get better throughout the day :yes:

See ya

tri boy
17th August 2007, 09:36
Yay, back on line. (digger operator cut through cable for 50% of retail outlets in Te Rapa, Boys worked through the night to satisfy Wharehouse:first:)
Yo Zukin, Txt young1 or myself re eta into Taupo. If you can make it by 4.00pm,
I'm sure we can kill some time around the lake.:scooter:
0274622298. Weather is clearing slowly in Ham, I expect it to reduce to light showers through the day. Yeeha, gunna get grubby.:Punk:

Zukin
17th August 2007, 14:33
Ok see you soon
Leaving right now :yes::Punk:

tri boy
19th August 2007, 19:36
What a weekend!:Punk:
Thanks heaps to Clint for organizing a fantastic ride.:yes:
I'll leave the debrief to the guys with way more literary skills than myself, but simply thank all those involved for a very memorable time.:first:
Couple of pics for an appetizer.(the real good shots will be in other peoples cameras).

Pic 1. View from first night accomodation.

Pic 2. Motu smoko.

Pic 3. Nice picnic spot.

Pic 4. Hamm'n it up.

Zukin
19th August 2007, 20:11
Yes made it back to the not so sunny Napier at about 6pm

For those that left early you missed the best bit :yes:

The whole weekend was a blast, I really enjoyed it, and so did the bike.
Thanks Clint :first:

I will post some pictures later.

Cheers Scott

merv
19th August 2007, 20:16
Fantastic to hear you had a good time - go the adventurers!!

bvaut
29th August 2007, 10:05
Thanks Clint for a great weekend ride. Really enjoyed it and meeting all who rode as well. Hopefully this may be an annual ride or perhaps more often around this area. Maybe even up towards the Cape- always plenty of good roads to ride. Thanks again and good meeting you all.

clint640
29th August 2007, 13:15
Thanks Brian, it was good to have you along, I reckon we'll definitely make it an annual event. Pencil in mid August next year! I think we'll go the other way next time, start in Taupo & do the Waipunga/Waikaremoana section on the Saturday.
I haven't really explored much East Cape gravel, maybe we should plan a loop around there taking in a few of the backroads?

Cheers
Clint