PDA

View Full Version : Heading to Sturgis

ratast
5th July 2007, 22:32
23 bikes pulling out of San Francisco heading north to Canada then we will drop into Montana heading for Bike weekat Sturgis. The NZ registered bikes attract a lot of attention and the riders in their fullface black helmets and black leathers keep the locals askance and wary till helmets removed, smiley kiwi faces emerge and then we are surrounded by curious Americans asking heaps of questions. Stand to attention,right arm crossed across chest when National anthem plays, don't mention President Bush in a joke, try and survive on Bud and Millers and you guaranteed to have a true experience of life surrounded by very hospitible and friendly american bikers .Of course the scenery and riding ensures a great time and the raising dollar just keeps making it better. Cheers Ratast:rockon:

janno
5th July 2007, 22:56
Gor blimey! What do you do for a job and is your company hiring?

scumdog
6th July 2007, 01:13
Ferkin' green with envy!!

2011 is the year I want to head off on that trip.:yes:

kevfromcoro
6th July 2007, 06:22
Ferkin' green with envy!!

2011 is the year I want to head off on that trip.:yes:

had a couple of mates been there....good storys.. 2011 might be up for that one...hmmmmmmm... KEV

Rashika
6th July 2007, 06:24
I really wanna go next year...for my and someone elses 40th, but dunno if it will happen. The trip involves 42 days on your own bike all over the place... bike gets sent over the month before. Damn it would be great, but gotta convince someone else that it WOULD be a good thing...that the yanks are actually pretty good souls ;)

scumdog
6th July 2007, 10:24
I Damn it would be great, but gotta convince someone else that it WOULD be a good thing...that the yanks are actually pretty good souls ;)

Troo-dat
All the Yanks I met were like nice Kiwis with funny accents.
And their fuel is cheap:yes:

SARGE
6th July 2007, 10:35
Troo-dat
All the Yanks I met were like nice Kiwis with funny accents.
And their fuel is cheap:yes:

thats cuz we own all the oil fields in the M.E.

all your base belong to us

oldrider
6th July 2007, 21:29
I really wanna go next year...for my and someone elses 40th, but dunno if it will happen. The trip involves 42 days on your own bike all over the place... bike gets sent over the month before. Damn it would be great, but gotta convince someone else that it WOULD be a good thing...that the yanks are actually pretty good souls ;)

This country has got such a distorted opinion of American people, they are fantastic, just a wee bit different but there are millions of them and only four million of us!

So who do you think are the odd ones out?

Go and enjoy it. :yes: Cheers John.

surfer
6th July 2007, 21:45
23 bikes pulling out of San Francisco heading north to Canada then we will drop into Montana heading for Bike weekat Sturgis.

Mucho envy. Enjoy and have a great time. It would be good to hear all about it as well.

Mattzxr750
9th July 2007, 09:05
sounds like a blast

botb
6th August 2007, 14:57
O well Rashika hrrmmm hrrmmm if said 40 year old does not want to go i'll be there with bells on so if your still keen and need a friendly kiwi face keep in touch :yes: will be there at the end of a 6 month working trip so hope to meet up with some fellow kiwi riders whilst there ......

Rashika
6th August 2007, 17:48
well ya never know what next year will bring, still luv to do it, but dont know.

and this week is the start of sturgis rally... OMG what fun some people will be having!! I'm damn jealous... :rockon:

peasea
7th August 2007, 13:27

Do the sums dude.

I have some friends who are on their fourth journey there. All previous trips they've taken their own bikes, shipped as you say, about a month in advance. tally up the shipping, insurance costs, servicing and tyres before/during/after, then look at rental prices. These people arranged for three Heritage Classics to meet them not far from San Francisco airport. They are going across Canada, then down to Sturgis and back over the Rockies, flying home out of LA.

I was told the cost isn't that much more than their previous efforts and they don't add k's/stress to their own rides, don't need shipping agents and don't have to get their hands dirty. Any service requirements are handled by HD agents while they have a coffee in an air conditioned waiting room.

Think about it. You come home to a clean bike and you've been flogging their horse, not yours.

Rashika
7th August 2007, 13:36
Think about it. You come home to a clean bike and you've been flogging their horse, not yours.

it may not happen for a few reasons... money, time off work and other stuff, but I'd still like to do a trip at some stage in my life, even with hired bikes.

T.W.R
7th August 2007, 14:07
AMERICAN BAGGER issue 7 volume1 has a great 44page Sturgis guide with it :yes:
Really informative with all the details you'd need for planning such a trip to the legendary event.

mbazza
17th August 2007, 21:39
Hell, another 'must do ride' experience to do before I die! Sounds great. Cheers.:rockon:

fergie
6th September 2007, 11:47
i like the idea of hiring a bike over there, sure makes the trip less hassle.

ratast
7th September 2007, 23:22
Hi, Just got back from 6 weeks. Took over 23 bikes in a container. Lot cheaper than hiring for 6 weeks. Average to hire with third Party and a $2000.00 excess for damage to bike is NZ$ 220.00 a day.
I get the applicible service and have new tyres and and just made
it back after 14000.ks on same tyres and a new filter and all oils changed at Sturgis which is about halfway through trip. I don't mind doing the miles on my bike, since thats why it was bought.If going for a shorter period of 3 weeks or so, hiring would be better option.
Purchasing Third Party and Comprehensive insurance for use while in States cost about N.Z $1000. Our NZ bikes get a lot of attention, not as fancy looking, more like to my mind, how a bike should look.
Back to USA next year, going in and out of Los Angeles and up coast to Canada deviating on way to ride around Crater Lake, the first of possibly 15 National and State Parks we will ride through.May have room for more on trip, will know after meeting 30 th Sept. Cheers Ratast

ratast
7th September 2007, 23:40
Hi, Just got back from 6 weeks. Took over 23 bikes in a container. Lot cheaper than hiring for 6 weeks. Average to hire with third Party and a $2000.00 excess for damage to bike is NZ$ 220.00 a day.
I get the applicible service and have new tyres and and just made
it back after 14000.ks on same tyres and a new filter and all oils changed at Sturgis which is about halfway through trip. I don't mind doing the miles on my bike, since thats why it was bought.If going for a shorter period of 3 weeks or so, hiring would be better option.
Purchasing Third Party and Comprehensive insurance for use while in States cost about N.Z $1000. Our NZ bikes get a lot of attention, not as fancy looking, more like to my mind, how a bike should look.
Back to USA next year, going in and out of Los Angeles and up coast to Canada deviating on way to ride around Crater Lake, the first of possibly 15 National and State Parks we will ride through.May have room for more on trip, will know after meeting 30 th Sept. Cheers Ratast

fergie
16th September 2007, 14:42
next saturday on prime(getaway travel show) covers a trip to sturgis, may be worth a look