PDA

View Full Version : 1937 Scott Flying Squirrel: Potential Sale/Advice from the UK

ceebie13
6th July 2007, 17:00
Hi All.... I picked this up from an ex-pats forum. Can anyone advise?
Seems this chap is going to move out here and can't decide whether to bring this bike over.

Originators copy reads:

I'm not a biker but find myself in posession of a 1937 Scott Flying Squirell.

Any body have any idea of the classic bike scene in NZ. I'm going to sell it when I've finished restoring it but don't know whether I would get more for it if I took it to NZ. I'm thinking it's closer to Japan?!?!

It should be worth 8k to 10k in the UK. Any body any ideas???

Paul in NZ
6th July 2007, 17:18
Well he certainly is NOT a biker....

The USA and Australia would be much bigger markets.... Put it into one of the big auctions, yes you pay a premium but it sells and they are well advertised internationally. It will sell anyplace as it's a very desired bike but frankly I dislike the practise of restoring for 'collectors' as it's usually over done, external only and the blessed thing deserves to be ridden..... They are a magnificent beast....

If he needs to scrooge out the last cent as a 'collectable' money making venture go ask messers richwhite and co 'cos i aint interested...

Sensei
6th July 2007, 17:22
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scott_Motorcycle_Company

ceebie13
6th July 2007, 17:23

The USA and Australia would be much bigger markets.... Put it into one of the big auctions, yes you pay a premium but it sells and they are well advertised internationally. It will sell anyplace as it's a very desired bike but frankly I dislike the practise of restoring for 'collectors' as it's usually over done, external only and the blessed thing deserves to be ridden..... They are a magnificent beast....

If he needs to scrooge out the last cent as a 'collectable' money making venture go ask messers richwhite and co 'cos i aint interested...

I've passed on the link to this thread so that he can read first hand any comments. Saves me being the middle man.

janno
6th July 2007, 17:26

I dislike the practise of restoring for 'collectors' as it's usually over done, external only and the blessed thing deserves to be ridden.....

Just what I was thinking but as I have never tried restoring a bike I thought I'd better keep my mouth shut.

The chances of this guy making mistakes seem quite high, perhaps!
And it seems wrong to restore such a gem without the heart and soul of a biker going in to it as well - or is that getting a bit too precious.

Ah well. Money is money I suppose.

ceebie13
6th July 2007, 17:35
Hey come on guys...I think he's looking for a bit of "friendly" advice rather than being criticised for being a non-biker who happens to own this machine and may just enjoy restoring it.

I think the impression he gets from reading the above comments will certainly deter him from bringing it to NZ that's for sure.

eliot-ness
6th July 2007, 20:43
If he wants the best advice he should contact the Scott owners club. It's a pretty rare breed, couldn't find one listed for sale. I assume his 8 to 10k figures are in pounds, I doubt he'd get that much over here.

.www.scottownersclub.org/scott_motorcycle_history.htm

canarlee
6th July 2007, 20:52
1st, he would defo get more for the bike in the uk! i have a friend who collects and resores antique bikes (in the uk). if you want pm me and i will pass on the contact details?! (he has over 50 motorcycles and the "newest" one is dated 1960 something!!!) i think he will know what he is talking about.

2nd, so what if he doesnt ride himself? it doesnt stop him enjoying the passion for bikes does it??? i mean how many KBers are without a bike at the moment? are they now non bikers?

Paul in NZ
7th July 2007, 00:03
I think you are getting confused...

I couldn't care two figs what he does with it but the Impression I'm getting is he wants to maximise his return for his efforts? ie a money making effort? I tell you what ask me a technical question about restoring it and I'm mr helpful but I'm not interested in people speculating on old bikes. Not only am I not interested but frankly if he takes that attitude into most classic circles in NZ he will get short shrift - not that they are not aware of the values but we enjoy a riding culture in the NZ classic scene. Long may that continue.

Bringing it to NZ because its closer to Japan??

Hes frekin mad or never studied a shipping schedule...

sirplug
9th July 2007, 05:31
Morning / Evening

I thought I would register to save confusion over my 'cashing in' and 'wringing every last cent' out of the bike.

As the owner of the Scott I thought it best to put the record straight

1. I am in possession of the bike as it was my Grandfathers. He died and this was my inheritance. As much as I would love to keep it, I am not a biker, he knew this and so it will be rebuilt and eventually sold.

2. I know what I'm doing with the restoration. I am a fully qualified mechanic, who's speciality was restoration.

3. I prefer 4 wheels and have owned and restored E Type Jags, VW Beetles and Kharman Ghias and several old Merc's, used them and then sold them.

4. I am looking for advice so as to enable me to make a decision on bringing it to NZ or selling it before leaving. If it comes to NZ, I may not sell it straight away. I may take the test and try riding it. But this is an old bike and it does need riding. Selling it in the UK will help fund the move and may allow me to purchase a classic 4 wheeler in NZ.

I'm only restoring it because my grandfather started it but never got to finish it. So I will

Paul in NZ
9th July 2007, 05:56
Sell it in the UK - most restro projects don't travel well - bits get lost and there is a much bigger market for it.

Good luck with moving to NZ. Its a great place for enjoying classic cars and bikes of all description. You are a long way from suppliers but the internet is your friend. ;-)

Jantar
9th July 2007, 06:18
It would certainly fetch a higher price in UK than over here, but it would receive more love and attention over here than if it went to a UK collector.

Now if you do bring it over here, I would gladly take it off your hands for a crate of speights. :innocent:

eliot-ness
9th July 2007, 15:49
For those who haven't seen a Scott Flying Squirrel here's a pic of a 1929 model. The motor in this version was first used in 1914 as a 333cc and developed an amazing, (for that time) 30bhp. It was so far ahead of it's rivals that it was handicapped in sporting eventsup tp 1911 but when the handicap was lifted it won the 1912 IOM TT. In 1925 the capacity was increased to 498 and 586cc. Little else was changed, the few "improvements" made were found to be inferior to the original design and soon scrapped. A few specs from 1914. Watercooled two stroke twin. Three port crankcase, deflector pistons, central fllywheel, rotary valves, seperate crankcases, unit construction, all chain drive, kick start, foot change gearbox. All unique at that time. The design reained unchanged until 1956 when a swinging arm, full width drum brakes and telescopic forks were added. The engine remained virtually unchanged. Production ended in the early 60s but a one off was built in 1978.

Paul in NZ
9th July 2007, 16:58
You might want to research that post a tiny bit more...... :innocent:

eliot-ness
9th July 2007, 17:01
You might want to research that post a tiny bit more...... :innocent:

Que ???????

avgas
9th July 2007, 17:08
Does it have the original pea-shooter pipes?
If so i would sell it as a box of bits. you would get $5K easy.
To restore it could cost you over $20K (for a good job) for a bike worth say max $20K restored.