PDA

View Full Version : Anti fogging - what do you use?

janno
6th July 2007, 21:46
Cat crap vs Fog off mask vs pinlock visor insert vs anything else I might have forgotten.

What is your preference and why?

I can get away without one in Brisbane over winter, I'll have to sort something out when I get back to UnZud. I have a Shoei helmet.

sAsLEX
6th July 2007, 21:56
Used Fog City inserts for years in Auckland commuting in the rain and general crap weather as well as sweaty spirited riding on the loop in summer.

$15. And do what they say on the box perfectly.

So why that one? Cheap and easy, fits all my helmets, effectively the same as pinlock but like I said can work on any helmet. You can even get tinted ones to save buying a tinted visor.

Biff
6th July 2007, 21:57
I've a fog city thingy on my primary visor. When I can be arsed I wipe the interior of my rest of my visors with a cut potato. The starch works wonders.

riffer
6th July 2007, 22:08
I have a nightmare of a time with riding in the dark in winter anyway so the fog city type visors give me the shits.

I use an Oxford Huff and have had good results. The only complaint I'd have about it is that its a bit pressing on my nose, but you can leave the visor down on a freezing cold morning at the lights in the pissing down rain and the visor won't fog.

Marknz
6th July 2007, 22:11
You know those small bottles of shampoo that they leave in hotel rooms for you? Smear the tiniest bit of shampoo on the inside of your visor, spread it around in a very thin layer with a tissue or cloth, and your fogging issues are solved. That is what the V8 Supercar drivers use on the inside of their windscreens, and I've used it ever since I was told that. Works a dream.

zadok
6th July 2007, 22:13
I found Rain-X to be good, but just bought one of those Nolan N102's mentioned in another thread, that has an anti fog insert. Seems good so far.

janno
6th July 2007, 22:16
Lots to think about!

I ride at night a fair bit, and my eyesight has changed over the years so perhaps a Fog City jobbie might not be the best.

I'm thinking about getting a fog off mask, AU$35, but here's another person who has complained about pressure on the nose.

I'm a cheapie tight-arse at heart, so I'll try the smear of shampoo first of all.

Thanks guys!

sAsLEX
6th July 2007, 22:30
I have found no issues with Fog City inserts and night riding.

Except with a very dark visor and trying to follow MR in a van at night in the rain..........

Street Gerbil
6th July 2007, 22:44
I use HJC HQ1 helmet. 100% fog free out of the box. The best lid one could dream of, not very expensive, light like a feather, and it is CARBON FIBER!!!

scracha
6th July 2007, 23:13
Cat crap vs Fog off mask vs pinlock visor insert vs anything else I might have forgotten.

Poofta kiwis. Get a shoei visor and leave it open a tiny bit. Learn to breathe through your nose.

scumdog
6th July 2007, 23:18
You know those small bottles of shampoo that they leave in hotel rooms for you? Smear the tiniest bit of shampoo on the inside of your visor, spread it around in a very thin layer with a tissue or cloth, and your fogging issues are solved. That is what the V8 Supercar drivers use on the inside of their windscreens, and I've used it ever since I was told that. Works a dream.

As I don't use visors bugger-all I can't vouch for this BUT beware if you have done the above trick and are riding in heavy rain on the open road, I've been told you can get tiny droplets of shampoo/water blown into your eyes when you lift you visor a little, - result? - lots of tears, - just when you don't need them.

Zapf
7th July 2007, 00:00
shoei pinlock does the trick for me

onearmedbandit
7th July 2007, 00:15
Hmmm, I just put up with it. I keep my visor open late at night, keeps me alert.

Sanx
7th July 2007, 00:23
After having tried various anti-fog stuff, including Cat Crap (lose the Cat, and it's an accurate description) and the Smith's anti-fog cloth (also f'ing useless) I bought a ProGrip light-sensitive antifog insert. it's advertisied as being photochromic, like spectacles.

And it's bloody brilliant. You have to line it up carefully on Shoeis, as the insert's not much smaller than the visor so it can interfere with the rubber shields. The photochromic bit is bollocks, it's not at all, but it works a bloody miracle in keeping fog away. About $33 from Motomail.

slopster
7th July 2007, 08:52
Generally a good quality shield will have an anti fog coating on it when its new which will eliminate most fogging. It only last for about 6 months though and excessive cleaning of the inside of it makes it wear off faster. Likewise I've found that those fog city inserts dont last very long either and I cant figure out any reason why not if they still have their seal. The only failsafe way I've found for real cold conditions (desert rd in winter in early hours of the morning) is to tape something like an iceblock stick under the visor to stop it closing completely leaving about a 2mm air gap. Makes it noisey as hell and lets a bit of cold air through but will never ever fog up.

ajturbo
7th July 2007, 09:07
As I don't use visors bugger-all I can't vouch for this BUT beware if you have done the above trick and are riding in heavy rain on the open road, I've been told you can get tiny droplets of shampoo/water blown into your eyes when you lift you visor a little, - result? - lots of tears, - just when you don't need them.

well....
i have used that system for the last 20 years...
and i really needed it last weekend when Buellbabe was setting a good pace and through the desert road....
rode in a LOT of cold AND rain... no fog on INside of visor...

no bubles

just sweet smelling dishwashing liquid.....

only problem was.... the rain was so heavy i couldn't see as there was so much water on the OUTside of the visor...

janno
7th July 2007, 09:07
Poofta kiwis. Get a shoei visor and leave it open a tiny bit. Learn to breathe through your nose.

Actually this is my current modus operandi and the cold is not the issue, I find it had to get the air in at 100K or above.

imdying
7th July 2007, 09:56
Normally I leave the visor open one click, although I do have some antifog stuff that I use on tinted visors. I'll dig it out and post it up... came from a trade show about 10 years ago, so not sure where to buy it.

MattRSK
7th July 2007, 10:14
I ride with my eyes closed.

Big Dave
7th July 2007, 10:18
Pinlock visors.

Shoei, Arai, most of the reputable manufacturers - they all use and recommend them.

So do I. The best system I have used.

pritch
7th July 2007, 10:19
I have a Shoei with a pinlock visor and that works fine. I also have a Shark with an anti-fog coating and at six months old it still works fine.

Shoei also have that little lever on the left side which just tilts the corner of the visor up a fraction to keep it fog free. Not needed if you have a pinlock but better than riding with the visor up one click which can let water in.

Previously I had used the Scott anti-fog liquid and it worked, but after a couple of days it would go smeary and need to be applied again.

With all the crap weather we've been having lately it is really nice not having to even think about fogged up visors. There are enough options available now so that this should be a thing of the past. (Said he hopefully).

As for the rain on the outside I really do like the windscreen wipers on the "Held" brand gloves, some of which I see are now being imported into this country.
Highly recommended.

Big Dave
7th July 2007, 10:23
As for the rain on the outside I really do like the windscreen wipers on the "Held" brand gloves, some of which I see are now being imported into this country.
Highly recommended.

When Dolds gave me the brief to put together an advert for them I asked for some cues for the headline.

'These gloves are the ducks nuts' the sales manager told me, I wanted to use that as the headline - but more 'conservative' copy was employed. :innocent:

Very well specified, german made, kangaroo leather.

Rashika
7th July 2007, 10:41
Cat crap works fine... but you DO have to reapply it often. So if you dont ride often its a good cheap alternative, but you would have to reapply. Or if you have helmets you only use occasionally... like me for racing.
For normal riding I have a fog city in my main helmet but they are a little more expensive than $15 nowadays, more like $30-45 depending where you look. Best to get a new one every season, cos they do get scratched and difficult to see thru, which defeats the purpose.
Before those (many moons ago) I used to have my helmet open a smidge (a shoei helmet) but it would still fog a fair bit. I would like to try the pinlock system, but dont have it in this Shoei helmet, maybe for the next one...
Must try the old washing liquid trick, had never heard of that one, sounds like a good emergency one :Punk:

NighthawkNZ
7th July 2007, 11:39
I use the Nolan anti fog system as well a CATCRAP, they worka treat never had a fogged up visor yet...

The only time I thought it did fog up was coming back from Glenorchy Rally earlier this year... I lifted the visor and realised I still couldn't see jack... pitty the Anti Fog doesn't get rid of actual fog... :slap:

Mr Merde
7th July 2007, 11:56

I have been using similar.

Little bit of liquid shower soap wiped sparingly on the inside of the visor.

Started using it on my helmet after trying it on the shaving mirror in the bathroom, they always fog over and the soap stopped that.

Skyryder
7th July 2007, 17:24

They have to be lanolin based. I use them myself.

Skyryder

Skyryder
7th July 2007, 17:32
When Dolds gave me the brief to put together an advert for them I asked for some cues for the headline.

'These gloves are the ducks nuts' the sales manager told me, I wanted to use that as the headline - but more 'conservative' copy was employed. :innocent:

Very well specified, german made, kangaroo leather.

http://www.heldusa.com/nero.htm

Skyryder

babyblade250rr
7th July 2007, 18:18
After having tried various anti-fog stuff, including Cat Crap (lose the Cat, and it's an accurate description) and the Smith's anti-fog cloth (also f'ing useless) I bought a ProGrip light-sensitive antifog insert. it's advertisied as being photochromic, like spectacles.

And it's bloody brilliant. You have to line it up carefully on Shoeis, as the insert's not much smaller than the visor so it can interfere with the rubber shields. The photochromic bit is bollocks, it's not at all, but it works a bloody miracle in keeping fog away. About $33 from Motomail.

yeah im using the progrip light-sesitive antifog insert from motomail too i love it!! it doesn't tint as much as i would like (Completely black!!) but it is very effective and you can wear your sunny under it with comfortable vision

Clivoris
7th July 2007, 18:56
I have an X-lite with pinlock insert. Absolutely brilliant at not fogging. The only problem I have is that the insert can rub against the visor and scratch. This is exacerbated by the seal pressing against the insert as the visor is opened and closed. This shortens the life of my visors.

NZsarge
7th July 2007, 20:01
Pinlock visors.

Shoei, Arai, most of the reputable manufacturers - they all use and recommend them.

So do I. The best system I have used.

Yes I agree, Pinlock is really good, Reason: coz it works, simple as that:yes:

Bob
8th July 2007, 06:56
Yes I agree, Pinlock is really good, Reason: coz it works, simple as that:yes:

I've got a Pinlock in my current Arai Condor (http://www.bobpickett.co.uk/bkit/araicondorblackfrost.htm) - and it works perfectly.

This is a review of Pinlock I was sent... with some additional words by me (http://www.bobpickett.co.uk/bkit/pinlock.htm)

My wife has a Shark, which has an anti-fog coating. She says it works, but gives it's own problems as it makes things look smeared when riding at night.

For the sake of not a lot of cash, I'd go for a Pinlock every time.

sAsLEX
8th July 2007, 08:16
For the sake of not a lot of cash, I'd go for a Pinlock every time.

I would go Fog City as essentially they are the same as a pinlock but you don't require the purchase of a high end helmet....

mattimeo
8th July 2007, 10:02
Putting my 2c towards the pinlock vote! I wear an Arai with a pinlock visor. Works flawlessly, even in heavy rain and freezing cold.

Storm
8th July 2007, 10:48
I would go Fog City as essentially they are the same as a pinlock but you don't require the purchase of a high end helmet....

I'll add my 2 c. I second this mans recommendation, as I put a fog city on a relatively cheap helmet-approx $200- and it worked perfectly for 4 years with never a single problem.
By all means buy a $1000 dollar helmet, but be aware that they arent the only ones that can be the end of fogging

bull
8th July 2007, 17:23

Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo could be a remedy for this " No more Tears" LOL

jim.cox
9th July 2007, 15:47

What is your preference and why?

No Visor == No Problem

=mjc=

robzilla
9th July 2007, 16:14
Damn i should've read this and prepared a bit before coming down from Christchurch to Dunedin last Friday...

Long story short had to pull over for 5 mins to get the snow off the front and the fog off the inside...

puddy
9th July 2007, 21:31
FOG CITY.:yes:

Tim 39
10th July 2007, 12:48
I use a 'fogcity' anti fof strip. I find them great, I have them on all of my helmet visors both for road and race. If you put it on right it will never fog! worry free