PDA

View Full Version : Cordura, leather gloves into an electric dryer

xwhatsit
7th July 2007, 15:33
Did a search but turned up squat. However I did see one result on Google that seemed to indicate it could be done, but I feel safer asking you guys (the cordura was for use with dogs or something).

Anyway, my leather gloves (Quasi's sports ones, if you know which ones), and my Quasi cordura jacket and trou are a bit damp after last night's enjoyable riding weather.

Can I chuck them into my electric dryer? Or will they melt? I could just hang them out to dry, but it's taking a long time in this cold weather.
<hints id="hah_hints"></hints>

gijoe1313
7th July 2007, 15:38
best to put them in the hot water cupboard overnight... they will dry out rock-hard, just beat them back into supple shape (ooer! :o)

Pumba
7th July 2007, 16:04
On the Queens Birthday ride we had about 5 sets of gloves, mixyure of leather and cordora, tumbeling round in a dryer and it didnt seem to do any damage to them, just dont put them on for an hour and forget about them, keep an eye on em.

As for the jacket, Technically its made from the same materials as the gloves so cant see an issue there, personally I wouldent put my jacket in the dryer though

klingon
7th July 2007, 16:34
I'm no expert, but I would assume it depends how hot the drier is. Try tumbling them for a short time on the lowest heat setting. Also think sensibly about any zips, velcro and other fasteners - if they can do damage to the rest of the garment while being tumbled around, you would be best to do them up before you start (although that might mean it takes longer to dry).

Personally I prefer the hot water cupboard method, or just hanging them in the warmest room of the house (if you have a heater and/or dehumidifier running, that will help of course).

Zapf
7th July 2007, 17:45
you don't want to dry the leather to the extend that you crack the leather. So just keep that in mind.

janno
7th July 2007, 17:59
Cordura doesn't like being heat dried as it can ruin its waterproofness. Something to do with the heat altering the chemicals, I thinks.

Heat drying leather shortens the life of it quite a bit by stressing it, stripping the oils and generally farking it.

Hanging everything up in a small, heated room is safer. Not gas heated, as that puts shedloads of moisture in to the air and totally defeats the purpose.

If things are getting damp because the waterproofness is breaking down, you could respray it with Scotchguard waterproofer.

It's brilliant stuff. I used it to reproof synthetic horse covers which were in use through an Eketahuna winter - meters of bloody rain a year! Made the covers better than new and the nags were toasty dry.

johnnyflash
7th July 2007, 18:38
Yep, have tumble dried cordura gloves many times and hasnt changed how waterproof they are, no better, no worse. around 20mins max on low low heat, workes a treat if you are in a hurry... if you are really worried put it on low heat for 10 min and cool air for another 5.. but if I have time to spare then the suggestions made by others (hotwater cupboard or warm room with dehumidifier is my choice)

jonbuoy
7th July 2007, 19:33
You can stuff the sleeves/jacket/gloves/boots with newspaper - draws a lot of the moisture out and leaves it smelling nicely of newspaper instead of festering sweat and dampness.

Kwakajack
8th July 2007, 00:14
best to put them in the hot water cupboard overnight... they will dry out rock-hard, just beat them back into supple shape (ooer! :o)

Mate, go with the hot water cupboard over night, thats what I do with all my gear when its sodden, boots included should they get wet. Its the safest option

Disco Dan
8th July 2007, 01:51
I just re-treated my revit cordura gear with snow-seal (for leather and suede) comes in a can and just sprays on.... started to leak after only one season and got me pretty darn wet. Tested it today going to work and dry as a bone, the gear even dried quicker - as the water did not go all the way through the material.. just beads off the surface. Tad expensive at around $25 but should last at least the rest of the winter. One thing I did notice however was my gloves shrunk slightly after being treated with the snow-seal, they are not winter gloves but summer vented ones so my hands get pretty damp anyway; but I was just curious as to why they shrank slightly. They too dried quicker before being treated though.

Just thinking about fixing the cause rather than treating the problem...

Zapf
8th July 2007, 17:52
I just re-treated my revit cordura gear with snow-seal (for leather and suede) comes in a can and just sprays on.... started to leak after only one season and got me pretty darn wet. Tested it today going to work and dry as a bone, the gear even dried quicker - as the water did not go all the way through the material.. just beads off the surface. Tad expensive at around $25 but should last at least the rest of the winter. One thing I did notice however was my gloves shrunk slightly after being treated with the snow-seal, they are not winter gloves but summer vented ones so my hands get pretty damp anyway; but I was just curious as to why they shrank slightly. They too dried quicker before being treated though.

Just thinking about fixing the cause rather than treating the problem...

I think some of the chemical used in types of water proof treatment can damage the waterproof membrane in the garment. So just be careful.

Disco Dan
8th July 2007, 17:55
I think some of the chemical used in types of water proof treatment can damage the waterproof membrane in the garment. So just be careful.

Really? ...awww crap.

Zapf
8th July 2007, 17:59
Really? ...awww crap.

well either read the instruction or make sure you use the right type :)

like if you put wax type stuff on goretex like membranes they'll leak / wet thru I think