PDA

View Full Version : Tyres Fzr2fiddy

Magua
22nd September 2004, 22:33
Ok my rear tyre is starting to look like a slick in the centre, massive chicken strips :D, shame to put all the tread left to waste. I've been told by someone that you can RE tread a tyre :spudwhat: Anyone know anything about this? Also how do I know what size tyre I have? And how much should I expect to pay for a decent tyre, I guess you wont know the answer to that until you know the tyre size. Keeping in mind I'm a poor student who doesn't want to spend all his money on maintanence. I'm just full of questions tonight aren't I?

riffer
22nd September 2004, 22:48
Ok my rear tyre is starting to look like a slick in the centre, massive chicken strips :D, shame to put all the tread left to waste. I've been told by someone that you can RE tread a tyre :spudwhat: Anyone know anything about this? Also how do I know what size tyre I have? And how much should I expect to pay for a decent tyre, I guess you wont know the answer to that until you know the tyre size. Keeping in mind I'm a poor student who doesn't want to spend all his money on maintanence. I'm just full of questions tonight aren't I?
Don't retread a tyre. YUCK.

What about those Pirellis on trademe I mentioned on the replacing oil thread? (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbike-Parts/Wheels-tyres-brakes/auction-16172028.htm) $130 for both a front and rear. Sure, they're a bit used, and they're sport/touring, but lets be serious - exactly how HARD do you ride Magua?

Anyone else know anything about MT75's? I'm pretty sure those 2fifty fzr's take a 110/70-17 front and a 130/70-17 rear. What else would other KB'ers recommend in this size with better performance for a cheaper price?

aff-man
22nd September 2004, 23:08
look at the seconds . good value for money are the gpr80's. Heaps of grip and the last ages.

Stevo
23rd September 2004, 07:39
I bought a brand new Metzler ME 550 for the rear for $170 through ITS BUT it pays to shop around!! I couldn't get any other new tyres from anywhere else for less than $195.
It was 130/70-17

Magua
23rd September 2004, 08:45
exactly how HARD do you ride Magua?
Simply put...I don't ride hard. I use my bike for the daily commute and weekend spins around the shore. If those tyres are partly worn I don't want to be up for new tyres soon. How long should they last? I guess that's like asking how long is a piece of string.

vifferman
23rd September 2004, 08:55
I've been told by someone that you can RE tread a tyre :spudwhat: I don't think you can do that in NZ, but I also don't know why anyone would want to. I think those coloured tyres you can buy in the US use the original carcase, so they're basically a retread, and are even successfully used by racers sponsored by the company (an aircraft tyre refurbisher).
I don't think scrimping on tyres is something you can afford to do, whether you ride hard or not. (Says he, who just realised that up until his last 3 sets of tyres, that's exactly what he did...:blank: )
Just buy a traditional grooving tool, and groove them tahrs, Man!

Posh Tourer :P
23rd September 2004, 09:07
On my MZ ETZ 250, I got about 10,000kms from a near unused Metzler (mid you it was a tad on the ancient side). I suggest that you should get enough life to last your restricted period out of a set of near-new/partly used tyres.

riffer
23rd September 2004, 09:07
Simply put...I don't ride hard. I use my bike for the daily commute and weekend spins around the shore. If those tyres are partly worn I don't want to be up for new tyres soon. How long should they last? I guess that's like asking how long is a piece of string.
By the look of them, and judging by how you say you ride, I reckon you'll get a year out of them.

Magua
23rd September 2004, 19:04
Ok I need to know if these tyres will fit before I buy them.

100/80 - 17 - Current front tyre.
120/80 - 17 - Current rear tyre.

Tyres for sale.
110/70 - 17 - Front I assume.
130/70 - 17 - Rear.

Will these fit?

aff-man
23rd September 2004, 19:07
yip should fit, will be a bit wider and a bit flatter but should fit fine

Magua
23rd September 2004, 19:09
How do you tell? What performance diff would i notice if it is wider and flatter?

riffer
23rd September 2004, 19:31
How do you tell? What performance diff would i notice if it is wider and flatter?
If the rim is too narrow for the tyre what it will do is make the cross-section of the tyre more pointed. This will result in your bike feeling a bit skittery and very quick to roll over on to its side.

The fzr250 will take a 130 section rear fine. :yes:

aff-man
23rd September 2004, 19:51
yip it will tip in quicker. But i was running that same tyre on the zxr250 and it handeled beaauutifully mate.

k14
23rd September 2004, 19:53
Another alternate if you want to get some new tyres are the Pirelli Sport deamons. I had a rear on my VT250 and that was great, no noticable wear after about 3000kms. Not sure how much a set of those will cost but I'm pretty sure you can get a set for less than $300.

Blakamin
23rd September 2004, 20:03
Another alternate if you want to get some new tyres are the Pirelli Sport deamons. I had a rear on my VT250 and that was great, no noticable wear after about 3000kms. Not sure how much a set of those will cost but I'm pretty sure you can get a set for less than $300.

I got a sport demon on the front of the 400.... heaps better than the arrowmax that was on my 2fiddy

aff-man
23rd September 2004, 20:14
what tyres are those 110/70/17 and 130/70/17???

Magua
23rd September 2004, 20:44
Pirelli MT75 Tyres

aff-man
23rd September 2004, 22:46
if they are cheap put em on. Set of decent tyres for the zxr250 cost me $475 i think. That was a pirelli mtro1 on the front with a dunlop gpr80 on the back

FROSTY
23rd September 2004, 23:22
I wouldn't normally suggest this on this forum-being as most guys are hunting for the ultimate in grip BUT.
Go see Chris at Haldanes. Tell Him Frosty sent you .
He has a big range of second hand 120/70/17 tyres.
From $50-$150 They are all front tyres for big powerfull sports bikes but will be a shit load better than what you've got.

Magua
26th September 2004, 10:55
Arrrg, they must not have the net at home so I'll have to wait until monday/tuesday before they even send them off! Does anyone know what the minimum tread depth is for a motorcycle so I can take advantage of this awesome weather? For we all know the minute I get my new tyres it will sour again.

Magua
26th September 2004, 11:09
Photos of the offending tread, enough left for a spin around the Shore?

Posh Tourer :P
26th September 2004, 12:12
Photos of the offending tread, enough left for a spin around the Shore?

No worries there Magua - 1.5mm across the enitre tyre width, and 75% (?) of the circumference