PDA

View Full Version : Bike theft - What do you do to stop it?

janno
10th July 2007, 16:30
Pinching bikes seems to be more of a hobby in Unzud than in Aus - seems like alot of KBers have got their bikes nicked lately. I don't hear so much of it in Brisbane, though could just be living in blissful ignorance of course.

Anyway, the bike and I are moving over to New Plymouth in August. And I'm a little concerned that it'll get pinched, which would rip my undies after all the effort of getting the damned thing over, let alone losing my pride and joy. (My bike that is, not my undies).

What do people do for security if they are leaving their bikes for any length of time in a public place?

And bike security at home? I'll have a garage to put it in, but I'm wondering what measures to take to try and prevent someone pinching it from the garage.

So what are people's tricks of the trade? Apart from leathal booby traps of course . . . :innocent:

babyblade250rr
10th July 2007, 16:47
generally speaking it's very unusual for someone to steal a bike from a locked garage, as for parking in public places for a period of time cheap option disc brake lock, if the bike really is your pride and joy consider a motorcycle alarm, a good one will set you back around $500NZ fitted. You may want to look at getting one fitted before you bring your bike over if you can find it cheaper.

TLMAN
10th July 2007, 16:54
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Other/auction-107891594.htm?p=29

Try the above link, it states its for a Harley but will fit most bikes. I think you can also get a small GPS tag that is able to give you the location of the bike if it is ever stolen so you can track it down and ask nicely for it back....

janno
10th July 2007, 16:55
Baby blade - Hey - good point! Hadn't thought of that. I'll check out the bike alarms over here. One of the good things about having 10 trillion bikes wherever you go in Qld is that the market for add ons is quite competitive.

Bling to you for being brainy.

Thanks, tlman, just looked at that link. I'd be worried that if it shat itself in a random location I'd be stuck . . .

babyblade250rr
10th July 2007, 16:56
Good idea and good luck with it!:rockon:

Steam
10th July 2007, 16:59
If I had a nice bike and needed to leave it out a night, I'd use a Steel mate Alarm (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=47146). $100 or less.
I'd also fit a Snitch (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=45898), one of those clever GPS trackers you can monitor in realtime. $1500 or so.
A real tough disc lock. $100
And a top-of-the-line Oxford chain and lock to tie it to a lamppost. $150

Look, if a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing properly.

James Deuce
10th July 2007, 17:00
I have insurance. If your bike gets targetted there's nothing you can do to prevent it going that won't result in the bike theft victim (attempted or otherwise) ending up in court on charges themself.

WarlockNZ
10th July 2007, 17:03
I bought a Hyosung .. nuff said ... LOL

An alarm and a disk lock is always a good place to start ... but if someone really wants to take it ... there isn't much you can do to stop them.

inlinefour
10th July 2007, 17:05
Pinching bikes seems to be more of a hobby in Unzud than in Aus - seems like alot of KBers have got their bikes nicked lately. I don't hear so much of it in Brisbane, though could just be living in blissful ignorance of course.

Anyway, the bike and I are moving over to New Plymouth in August. And I'm a little concerned that it'll get pinched, which would rip my undies after all the effort of getting the damned thing over, let alone losing my pride and joy. (My bike that is, not my undies).

What do people do for security if they are leaving their bikes for any length of time in a public place?

And bike security at home? I'll have a garage to put it in, but I'm wondering what measures to take to try and prevent someone pinching it from the garage.

So what are people's tricks of the trade? Apart from leathal booby traps of course . . . :innocent:

In my 27 years of riding I have only had one bike pinched and I put that down to a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Also after considering the sequence of events I wonder if it was someone I knew because of what happened. At the end of the day, if someone is going to try to steal your bike, thats what is going to happen. I had Titan locks, stearing lock and had the bike parked in what I thought was a wise place. At the end of the day, the best bet is to have the bike fully insured. I did and the replacement bike was by far a better bike to the one that was stolen. I was just lucky that I had more than one bike, so my riding time was not hindered in any way. But it would bite if you only had the one bike, because the wait for the payout was a lenghty one...

babyblade250rr
10th July 2007, 17:06
I bought a Hyosung .. nuff said ... LOL

An alarm and a disk lock is always a good place to start ... but if someone really wants to take it ... there isn't much you can do to stop them.

This is true!

however unless you have some phenominal bike that's just impossible to find they may go through the effort of somehow taking it otherwise the two options are relevant and preventative as more off the A Holes that pinch bikes are in it for the easy joy ride.

janno
10th July 2007, 17:09
I have insurance. If your bike gets targetted there's nothing you can do to prevent it going that won't result in the bike theft victim (attempted or otherwise) ending up in court on charges themself.

I agree with insurance, I'm always covered for just about everything but nuclear war.

However, my bike is 19 years old, only worth $4-5 k tops, and here's the kicker - I very much doubt I could ever find another one in such good nick as only 10,000 were made to start with and they were grey imports to Aus and NZ.

This bike fits me like a glove, I don't want another bikey, I want my bikey . . . :(

F5 Dave
10th July 2007, 17:15
I still reckon it is worth trying to make it harder. I rarely leave bikes in public places anymore but Hidden kill switch & disclock are a good start, but get a disclock with an alarm so that you don't ride off with it on. Best to fit to rear brake disc as it won't make so much damage. Sometimes the disc needs a hole drilled larger to fit it.

You'd think you'd have to be a plonker but I broke a calliper once. Put it on outside a mate's house, knocked on door, no reply, oh well, rode off. Oops!

In a garage (alarmed of course) still chain it to the ground anchor (Abus do a good one). You might think that NZ is a haven of thieves, but I think you will find theft is common everywhere & getting worse as people get more greedy thinking the world owes them something (gen Y) or need drug money.

Oh a word about Disc & various locks that take circular keys. I won't say how on this thread but they are easy to foil (I guess many have seen the threads on various sites so just keep down guys) but many of these locks can be quickly & easily picked. I bought a bike with one of these locked under the seat so I tried it & picked it inside 10 seconds once a I modified a tool.

Take a look at the garage & the lock used, update to deadlock. Plywood at min over windows so can't see in & hard to just break way in. Lock roller doors from inside, don't rely on remote openers.

Never leave your bike outside your house for too long, best least people know it's there.

James Deuce
10th July 2007, 17:20
I use a disk lock outside work and bright yellow curly cord strung between the levers to remind me I've put it on.

Someone could still lift it into a van or truck, or even onto a trailer, provided they had a couple of burly mates.

At home it's in a locked garage.

Goblin
10th July 2007, 17:22
So what are people's tricks of the trade?

I have a rat Honda! :innocent:
No one would want to pinch it.

TLMAN
10th July 2007, 17:23
You could always get one of these and hook it up to your alarm. Wouldnt advise using it whilst youre riding though.

F5 Dave
10th July 2007, 17:24
People stole a mate's Rover 2000. Yes joyriders will take anything to thrash or get home from a party. Make it too hard & they move on.

babyblade250rr
10th July 2007, 17:27
overall take as much precaution as possible possible when parking your two wheeler park it where alot of public are around all the time a theif won't try pinching it as much as if it were parked in an alleyway with no one around

Macktheknife
10th July 2007, 17:33
All been said really, basic locks are best, visible and audible if tampered with. As for the rest, that is what insurance is for, don't stress about it.
I have never had a bike stolen, and don't expect I will have either, but as others have said, if they really want it, they will get it.

F5 Dave
10th July 2007, 17:34
In your new place you have to look at it like a thief. That’s where most honest people get blind to the weaknesses. One landlord didn’t want me putting extra locks on as you’d never pull the door up against the motor. - Yeah sure buddy, if you didn’t want to wreck the door, but as a thief that isn’t just not a consideration, it’s a positive! I did anyway.

You only have to yank it up enough to pull it out of the lockstops on a roller or get a small child to crawl under to go open it.

Windows are easy to break & with a heavy jacket or some tape who is going to hear it (or respond). Many burglars use the tools they find around them, bits of half-brick in the garden or that ornament outside the front door.

Don’t store your keys on a keyring or the drawer by the front door, that gives them access to your garage if they break in the house & the keys to come back.

Alarms are quite cheap & with more people getting them the ones without are more of a target.

janno
10th July 2007, 17:43
Thanks for all the replies - heaps of good ideas I'll be putting in to practice. :yes:

Goblin
10th July 2007, 17:52
People stole a mate's Rover 2000. Yes joyriders will take anything to thrash.:laugh: Dunno what joy anyone would find in a Rover 2000....different strokes eh.

Hitcher
10th July 2007, 20:18
How to stop bike theft? Park your bike next to one that's 5% easier to knick than yours.

scracha
10th July 2007, 20:32
They should start checking frame numbers, engine numbers and datatags/alpha-dots at trackdays, races, hill-climbs, mx-meets, etc.

Pancakes
10th July 2007, 21:13
Don't have any extra locks at work, park it in the open tho and everyone there is always out for ciggies and know's it's mine, also park in a line of 10+ bikes next to a Hayabusa normally.

Have just used Chem-set to put a bolt and bolt hanger in the garage floor and got a cable lock, they take ages to get through quietly and the steel would be noisy with a grinder. Not impossible to take at all but theives are lazy, pocket and go, not normally keen to stay around to get snapped, unless your getting targetted them what can you do? I know a guy who has had tons of stereo head units etc taken, recon he uses the minimum needed to hold it in now so the bastards don't wreck everything else in the process.

Theives are lazy, thats why they are pinching your crap not at work. Make it take time and attract attention and cross your fingers.

0arbreaka
10th July 2007, 21:24
Ive got a disc lock, a oxford bike chain and a fuckin thick steel eye bolt anchord in concrete to stop them, its not impossible but it makes it a fair ammount harder for them, and if that fails theres also "I thought he was going to kill me officer, I was just trying to protect myself"....

Pancakes
10th July 2007, 22:00
Massive lock is good but not really if they can carry it to a van and work on the lock/strip the locked parts at their place. Glue a bolt in your garage floor.

Hitcher
10th July 2007, 22:36
They should start checking frame numbers, engine numbers and datatags/alpha-dots at trackdays, races, hill-climbs, mx-meets, etc.

"They"? Sooner them than us.

SARGE
10th July 2007, 23:20
make it 30 seconds harder to steal then the neighbors bike..

i personally use my stunning good looks, even temper and 'pillar-of-the-community' reputation to keep mine in the carport.. not all are so blessed as i however

Winter
11th July 2007, 00:32
I park next to expensive looking bikes, and leave the bike dirty. disc lock on.

At home, locked in my garage on a bizare angle (sideways),
with the steeringlock on so you can't push it out, disc lock on, padlocked door, car parked infront of door so door can't open anyway.

Holy Roller
11th July 2007, 03:56
Its only the Harleys that get nicked here. My old bike an XV500 sat outside for years, no carport or garage. New Bike is in the garage at the new house.

sAsLEX
11th July 2007, 04:19
overall take as much precaution as possible possible when parking your two wheeler park it where alot of public are around all the time a theif won't try pinching it as much as if it were parked in an alleyway with no one around

not soo true, my bike got lifted on Symonds St AU where there is constant foot traffic all day, if its not tied down all it takes is a van two/three big guys a pole through the back wheel and the bike is in the van in under 30 seconds, shut the door and take off no one will hear an alarm....

Korea
11th July 2007, 08:32
Anchor it to something~!

sAsLEX
11th July 2007, 08:48
here is some ideas that could be adapted

http://www.stickdeath.com/2002auto.html
http://www.stickdeath.com/2003auto.html
http://www.stickdeath.com/2005auto.html

James Deuce
11th July 2007, 08:49
Actually, the point about alarms is a good one. If YOU, yes YOU, reacted to alarms, there MIGHT be a point in buying and installing one.

sAsLEX
11th July 2007, 09:03
Actually, the point about alarms is a good one. If YOU, yes YOU, reacted to alarms, there MIGHT be a point in buying and installing one.

I blame boy racers who have the motion sensors set so low a panda breaking wind in China sets them off, people become de-sensitised.

jim.cox
11th July 2007, 09:03

Have a bike that's kickstart only - that tends to weed out the wimps :)

But seriously
Large lock from reputable brand
Case hardend chain
Through the frame
Fixed to a ground anchor
No nearby power supply (stops easy grinder use)
Insurance policy
And I'd like to fit a tracking system

I do wish I had a garage preferably with an alram

In terms of long term anti theft policy I'd say bring back the stocks - a good bit of public humilation (and mob beatings) might give the little bastards the right message.

=mjc=

PS: And yes I do have a certain sympathy for Sharia law and the amputaion of hands

jim.cox
11th July 2007, 09:10
and got a cable lock, they take ages to get through quietly.

Depends on the cable

A good pair of "parrot beak" cutters the size of a pair of scissors will easily take out up to 10mm cable in one cut.

I thnk you are better relying on a chain and it has to be hardened as the galv is like butter to a pair of bolt cutters.

Just my $0.02

=mjc=

jim.cox
11th July 2007, 09:16
I have a rat Honda! :innocent:
No one would want to pinch it.

Any bike is better than NO bike

Your not-so-pride-and-joy IS a target

I have had just that attitude and the areseholes flogged the bikes regardless

You'll regret making it easy for them

mazz1972
11th July 2007, 10:14
This thread is in the offroad section, but still relevant. Note the poor bugger who got his bike stolen....

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=53145

Goblin
11th July 2007, 11:14
Any bike is better than NO bike

Your not-so-pride-and-joy IS a target

I have had just that attitude and the areseholes flogged the bikes regardless

You'll regret making it easy for themOh my bike IS my pride and gives me more joy than anyone will ever know. We are a legendary package. My bike is kept in a secure shed and when I go riding it's never out of sight long enough for anyone to pinch. Not that anyone would want to....it is an ugly old, battle-scarred Honda after all.

Swoop
11th July 2007, 13:24
In terms of long term anti theft policy I'd say bring back the stocks - a good bit of public humilation (and mob beatings) might give the little bastards the right message.
Let's get you some bling.

TLMAN
11th July 2007, 13:32

You can get alarms for cars that will send a txt to your cellphone if it is activated. Surely you can get one for a bike aswell, then you can charge out to wherever your machine is parked and start throwing furiously your pumpkins around.

janno
11th July 2007, 13:34
You can get alarms for cars that will send a txt to your cellphone if it is activated. Surely you can get one for a bike aswell, then you can charge out to wherever your machine is parked and start throwing furiously your pumpkins around.

There's a thread here on the Snitch alarm for bikes, same thing you are thinking of.

Don't abuse poor innocent pumpkins though, throw rocks instead . . . :innocent:

scracha
11th July 2007, 13:35
"They"? Sooner them than us.

It could be part of scrutineering with the odd visit from policemen plod (when they can get their fat arses out of their nice warm V8's). Quick jot down of engine and frame numbers and a swift scan for the magic electronic tags.

A big fat cheque for every stolen car/bike found could be given to the club who've done the scruting.

SPman
11th July 2007, 13:52
not soo true, my bike got lifted on Symonds St AU where there is constant foot traffic all day, if its not tied down all it takes is a van two/three big guys a pole through the back wheel and the bike is in the van in under 30 seconds, shut the door and take off no one will hear an alarm....
And such a clean and tidy bike it was......

Buy a 350 kg bike - that might slow them down. Like to see them lift a Valkyrie or VN2000 into a van..

James Deuce
11th July 2007, 13:53

If you're within 5 metres of your bike/car I can see how this would be good.

sAsLEX
11th July 2007, 17:36
And such a clean and tidy bike it was......

Hence my unclean and rough bike that lasted 3 years of uni instead of 1.....

vifferman
11th July 2007, 17:51
At home it lives in an alarmed gargre, with sensors on both doors, and a PIR in the corner. Before I changed jobs it used to live in a gargre-within-a-gargre, protected by a security door and swipecard, but at the current job it just parks outside the door in the carpark.
In the weather. :(

If I leave it for long in public, I just fit a disklock.
Must get me some more security...

Chrislost
11th July 2007, 20:00
Baby blade - Hey - good point! Hadn't thought of that. I'll check out the bike alarms over here. One of the good things about having 10 trillion bikes wherever you go in Qld is that the market for add ons is quite competitive.

Bling to you for being brainy.

Thanks, tlman, just looked at that link. I'd be worried that if it shat itself in a random location I'd be stuck . . .

wouldnt shit itsself in a random location, however some of them are a bit dogey if kept under metal roofs...

Griff
13th July 2007, 11:56
If I leave my bike out in public, I usually lock a shitty canvas cover over it, so that it doesn't look as appealing as the shiny ones next to it.
Then tell it to "Stay!"

Indiana_Jones
13th July 2007, 12:02
Put the fuel switch to "off" if they're dumb kids etc, they won't figure it out lol

-Indy

Bruiser
13th July 2007, 14:58
Originally Posted by TLMAN http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=1128221#post1128221)

If you're within 5 metres of your bike/car I can see how this would be good.

Not true Jim. With my snitch I get a text sent to my phone (and my partner's) if my harley is moved one inch. All I need to do is text the bike and it instantly reports current position (number and street address or full gps co-ordinates).

Or I can go online and follow the bike on a moving map in real time while reporting a "crime in progress" to the constabulary who respond significantly quicker in such circumstances. This technology recently saved a local appliance retailer about $40k as the cops put up the Eagle and 6 cars surrounded the unsuspecting theives who'd stolen a truck full of goodies.

Of course I could simply call a few mates and have them assemble at the address currently being reported by the Snitch, suitably armed with baseball bats (for protection only, of course!).

James Deuce
13th July 2007, 15:15
Not true Jim. With my snitch I get a text sent to my phone (and my partner's) if my harley is moved one inch. All I need to do is text the bike and it instantly reports current position (number and street address or full gps co-ordinates).

Or I can go online and follow the bike on a moving map in real time while reporting a "crime in progress" to the constabulary who respond significantly quicker in such circumstances. This technology recently saved a local appliance retailer about $40k as the cops put up the Eagle and 6 cars surrounded the unsuspecting theives who'd stolen a truck full of goodies.

Of course I could simply call a few mates and have them assemble at the address currently being reported by the Snitch, suitably armed with baseball bats (for protection only, of course!).

Firstly GPS in NZ is more than a little inaccurate. We have no ordanace surveys.

Secondly, no stolen HD is left complete, ever.

Thirdly, you can assemble as many people as you want, a physical crime against an admitted thief, is still a violent crime against someone else's person and therefore viewed more seriously than the original crime of theft.

I don't condone theft, but I see little point thrashing about worrying about it, or threatening physical violence for which the repurcussions are far greater than a mere property crime.

Morcs
13th July 2007, 15:24
Firstly GPS in NZ is more than a little inaccurate. We have no ordanace surveys.

Thirdly, you can assemble as many people as you want, a physical crime against an admitted thief, is still a violent crime against someone else's person and therefore viewed more seriously than the original crime of theft.

I don't condone theft, but I see little point thrashing about worrying about it, or threatening physical violence for which the repurcussions are far greater than a mere property crime.

But thats exactly why the little cunts do it - as they know that no-one can touch them without facing more severe consequences...

Still, if I caught a theif I would beat him to within an inch of his life, the last inch of which he will lose if he opens his mouth.

When people are scared of the consequences of stealing, you dont steal, simple as that. (unless they are realllly fucking stupid)\

I had this conversation with the head of security of our mall this morning,as we dad a $500 jacket run out of our store this week, places like singapore for example you just dont get this bullshit.

In the philipinnes also, if you catch a burglar inside your house, you have every right to shoot him and chop him up for dog food.

The law should be changed that you can protect or use reasonable forces regarding your own property.

Bruiser
13th July 2007, 17:16

Wrong again Jim. The Snitch reports the exact address, down to the flat/unit# and house#, street name, suburb, town/city.

Any time you want a demo, say the word!

Care to retract that statement? Because once again you're talking bullshit!

Who said anything about violent crime? Retrieving stolen property is quite within an owners rights. Using reasonable force to protect ones' property and person is also encapsulated in our laws.

Nobody is thrashing, except perhaps your attempts to protect the "rights" of these thieving pricks.

As for your quaint description of the theft of a prized bike that may have cost the victim upwards of $60k or more as "a mere property crime", I think this pretty much sums your position up perfectly!

I assume you have never suffered this kind of loss - your bleeding-heart liberal, left-wing attitude being what it is.

sAsLEX
13th July 2007, 18:32
When people are scared of the consequences of stealing, you dont steal, simple as that. (unless they are realllly fucking stupid)\

The law should be changed that you can protect or use reasonable forces regarding your own property.

Allot of the Arab state you would never see this happen.

One of the guys on course was on shore leave and they were sitting outside the equivalent of a dairy and a guy pulls up in a Porsche convertible jumps out leaves his phone and laptop on the passenger seat the door open the keys in and the car running.

When you get caught stealing over there they ask you a simple question. Left or right? Second time they dont bother.

rok-the-boat
13th July 2007, 18:38
My bike's 15 years old, not worth much, runs well as it is looked after, and has two padlocks. Someone did nick a mirror last year ...

Bikes I park near often have one, or no padlocks, so whose will the thief go after I wonder?

Street Gerbil
13th July 2007, 22:08
I park my bike right under the security camera :-)

Dadpole
14th July 2007, 01:28
Who said anything about violent crime? Retrieving stolen property is quite within an owners rights. Using reasonable force to protect ones' property and person is also encapsulated in our laws.

Retrieving stolen property is quite within an owners rights. - You may want to consult your local constabulary about that.

Using reasonable force to protect ones' property and person is also encapsulated in our laws. - Including using reasonable force against people bursting in claiming to be recovering stolen goods?

James Deuce
14th July 2007, 08:31
Wrong again Jim. The Snitch reports the exact address, down to the flat/unit# and house#, street name, suburb, town/city.

Any time you want a demo, say the word!

Care to retract that statement? Because once again you're talking bullshit!

Nobody is thrashing, except perhaps your attempts to protect the "rights" of these thieving pricks.

As for your quaint description of the theft of a prized bike that may have cost the victim upwards of $60k or more as "a mere property crime", I think this pretty much sums your position up perfectly!

I assume you have never suffered this kind of loss - your bleeding-heart liberal, left-wing attitude being what it is.

In some cities of NZ maps are accurate. Some, not all. If the took the HD out of a major centre you'd be lucky to see it again, even with GPS. Most European States and big chunks of Western Russia, SE Asia, and even big chunks of Australia have had ordnance surveys done by their own and other people's governments for the purpose of placing artillery accurately. The UK is mapped to the last inch for this purpose and these maps make an excellent basis for GPS maps. NZ has never had ordnance surveys done and out of the main centres, GPS can be 200m off. That will give 9 or 10 houses to terrorise.

I've been burgled 3 times. There's nothing you can do protect yourself or your property. I broke the arm of an intruder attempting a 4th burglary. I was lucky that the attempted burglary was investigated by an older Sergeant who never made any mention of the condition of the perp they recovered. They would have been well within the law to charge me with assault with a deadly weapon (a 10KG Pearl Cymbal stand) and GBH. He suggested we move, and that if he had to investigate any more broken people he wouldn't turn a blind eye. There's no bravado behind this either. I was shitting myself.

All up we lost something like $30k worth of stuff. They were cleaning out our stuff and then waiting for insurance to pay out to come and get the replacements. They were also after my Wife's nursing medal, because that and an attitude was all you needed to get Class A drugs from a Hospital pharmacy. They'd been following her home from work.

I don't see how I have a liberal attitude. The Police simply don't have the resources to chase up "minor" property crime.

There's no need to argue a point THAT aggressively thanks.

sAsLEX
14th July 2007, 08:48
In some cities of NZ maps are accurate. Some, not all. If the took the HD out of a major centre you'd be lucky to see it again, even with GPS. Most European States and big chunks of Western Russia, SE Asia, and even big chunks of Australia have had ordnance surveys done by their own and other people's governments for the purpose of placing artillery accurately. The UK is mapped to the last inch for this purpose and these maps make an excellent basis for GPS maps. NZ has never had ordnance surveys done and out of the main centres, GPS can be 200m off. That will give 9 or 10 houses to terrorise.

Don't matter if its been mapped or not. The way GPS works gives you a reasonably precise lat and long, if that place is not mapped? Who cares? Just go to that lat and long.

rufusdion
14th July 2007, 08:55
I keep my bike at home in locked garage with a paddlock through each of the disc brakes - through the holes in the disc.There no-way some is gona get those off in a hurry and wheel my bike away, if theives really wana steal bike they will just carry it off and put it in a truck tho.

James Deuce
14th July 2007, 08:55
Don't matter if its been mapped or not. The way GPS works gives you a reasonably precise lat and long, if that place is not mapped? Who cares? Just go to that lat and long.

If the maps that are laid over the GPS positions in the unit aren't accurate then the location doesn't show up correctly on the unit. I've had two models of GPS unit tell me my address is 100m away. The Lat and long is correct, the underlying map isn't.

sAsLEX
14th July 2007, 09:03
If the maps that are laid over the GPS positions in the unit aren't accurate then the location doesn't show up correctly on the unit. I've had two models of GPS unit tell me my address is 100m away. The Lat and long is correct, the underlying map isn't.

Not arguing that point.

But if bike is at point x. And a map will get you in the rough location, take a GPS receiver with you to there and you will find it nearby.

Or make a cruise missile insert the gps location ...

Pancakes
14th July 2007, 19:21
If your bike is easily pinched opportunists may have a go, if you make it hard but your being targeted you better hope you don't find it so you get insurance money not a pile of junk back. I feel (and he can correct me) that sAsLEX's point is if your bike is being targetted by a career theif they would probably give a GPS tracked bike a miss as 1) if you call the cops and say "I don't know what house but it's XXX street", they will most likely say thanks! we know theres a dodgy fu*cker there but needed to catch them redhanded or 2) not need you hanging out at the end of their road waiting till they go out so you and your mates can visit their house in return. As for giving them a bash, I'm sure they were coming at you after you nicely asked if they'd seen your bike around and were scared as shit and defending yourself. Don't even think anything different, I'm not saying go out to get someone but if a theif gets whats coming to them I won't be crying.