PDA

View Full Version : Soft Luggagge bags on sportsbike?

750Y
23rd September 2004, 14:21
Just wondering if anyone has used the soft luggage bags on a sportsbike, the kind that sit like panniers either side of the tail section & strap on. I have used packracks many times in the past with good effect, but the current bike requires some cutting of plastic on the undertail to fit up so I’m not too keen & plus the soft luggage seems a cheaper option. Also if anyone has any they need me to ‘test out’ for a couple days next month, don’t be shy. I already have ventura aero packs(but no rack), but I don’t fancy the idea of bungy cording them to the arse of a gixxer thou & riding from Akld to Welly & back.

F5 Dave
23rd September 2004, 17:53
Just watch the plastic sidepanels, put some protective tape over them. New panniers are often slanted so you are less likely to burn them on the pipe, but that is a real issue to consider.

Tie them on. I turned up at a rally on my YZF, “oh hey Dave” they say at the gate, “you’re travelling light”. “Whatdayamean? I’ve got my. . . [looks back] Oh sh:eek: !” [quick u turn speeds off to that long straight with the bump in it].

dhunt
23rd September 2004, 18:03
Just wondering if anyone has used the soft luggage bags on a sportsbike, the kind that sit like panniers either side of the tail section & strap on. I have used packracks many times in the past with good effect, but the current bike requires some cutting of plastic on the undertail to fit up so I’m not too keen & plus the soft luggage seems a cheaper option. Also if anyone has any they need me to ‘test out’ for a couple days next month, don’t be shy. I already have ventura aero packs(but no rack), but I don’t fancy the idea of bungy cording them to the arse of a gixxer thou & riding from Akld to Welly & back.I've got some but haven't need them yet (Got off trademe cheap). But they seem to fit alright on my bike. Looking forward to summer, no study and warm weather, will get some more use then.

DAvid

dhunt
23rd September 2004, 18:39
[ stupid internet connection - timing out and double posted :Oops: ]

LB
24th September 2004, 05:52
I use Givi Voyager throwovers (the slanted version, not the rectangular) on my Monsters. They're really good, I can fit heaps of stuff in them and they expand out to twice their size. However that makes them heavier and they droop very very close to the mufflers, so I very rarely expand them. Very well made and I've customised mine with "Ducati Corse" rubber keyrings on the zip tags - they spin round in the breeze and look cool (IMHO anyway!)

Years ago I lost a set of throwovers too, heading south on SH1 just after Sanson as I was passing a small bike. I didn't realise. He almost biffed it trying to avoid the bags (so my mates behind me told me). One of my mates stopped and picked up the bags. I blissfully rode on in my ignorance. At Levin they came up beside me and pointed to where my bags should have been......holy shit!!!!

I now cable tie the Givis onto my rear footpeg brackets.

F5 Dave
24th September 2004, 08:35
A friend has sewn those plastic quick release clips on his & has the matching clasp on the footpegs so it is a simple click - click operation.

AMPS
24th September 2004, 08:47
We have a Buell set up with Oxford gear, check it out if you're nearby.
Lou

James Deuce
24th September 2004, 08:49
HAve to go with Lou on that one. Hard to go wrong with the Oxford stuff, and it has a lifetime guarantee (whatever that means)

750Y
24th September 2004, 10:06
thanks for the good replies peoples, sounds like they'll do the trick nicely, but i'll take heed & ensure they are on and will stay on..

clint640
24th September 2004, 15:04
I've got a basic set of throwovers that I have used on many bikes, on some they will sit on the pax pegs, take your bike when buying & see what fits best.
I just got some of those plastic clips too, makes things real easy, with these & some of the webbing that fits them y' can make a nice secure setup.

Cheers
Clint

HDSpringer
24th September 2004, 23:09
I have a set of throw over bags, a 40 oz of JD's in each bag seems to weigh them down nicely, however I have never put to much thought into the return trip, may I am just beyond caring then, plus the speeds are always a lot slower. However all that aside, I would go with out them, they hold a heap, and very conveniant. I must agree with Lynda when expanded they hand real low, and the profile looking from the rear is just ugly