PDA

View Full Version : Coming to New Plymouth

admenk
13th July 2007, 09:25
The wife and I are moving to New Plymouth at the end of July, from the UK. We would be grateful for any info on the local bike world (if any), clubs, dealers etc. Also any general info, such as what to see, nice areas to rent and anything else that might be useful.

thanks

MSTRS
13th July 2007, 09:30
Stay out of Marfell. PM Nadroj or Sensei.

janno
13th July 2007, 09:35
Welcome to you!

I am moving back to New Plymouth mid August after 15 years away. (I grew up there, until age 21).

There are lots of british expats around in NP. Try www.britishexpats.com

There is a section on New Zealand in the forums there - you should be able to hook up with people living in the area.

It's a really pretty little town, very easy to live in.

We'll be meeting up soon, I'm sure! :yes:

See you,

Jan.

Paul in NZ
13th July 2007, 09:35
Small city even by NZ standards but I've always liked the place. Very attractive setting, fantastic surfing and if you like the great outdoors - you will be real happy. Bit of a hike to the rest of the North Island but the locals seem friendly....

I have some clients up there and I'm always keen to visit them for sure... I'd move there myself if I could find a decent job....

Cheers

dhunt
13th July 2007, 10:22
I have some clients up there and I'm always keen to visit them for sure... I'd move there myself if I could find a decent job....

Cheers
You sure about that Paul - The weather has been a bit interesting lately, tornadoes,rain & more rain etc.

dhunt
13th July 2007, 10:24
Oh and yeah there is definitely plenty of bikes around and some awesome roads to match. The local Honda dealer organises rides about every 2nd thursday evening during daylight savings - More Suzukis and Aprilias on the rides though than Hondas :yes:

Patrick
13th July 2007, 11:34
Stay out of Marfell. PM Nadroj or Sensei.

PM me as well... the local Constabulary can point out many hotspots for you to avoid. If you have a place in mind, let me know...:msn-wink:

Paul in NZ
13th July 2007, 11:38
You sure about that Paul - The weather has been a bit interesting lately, tornadoes,rain & more rain etc.

Pfft - they call me tornado Paul in some parts.... (wimmins parts mostly) and lets face it - it's rained everywhere. Besides the climates great for growing rhododendrons etc and Vicki does love to garden...

sels1
13th July 2007, 11:54
They have a very pretty mountain.....on the days you can actually see it....

Nah, its a good place - go there for work quite often.

Welcome Admenk

Drum
13th July 2007, 13:43
mmmmm. I wonder which is nicer. New Plymouth or Old Plymouth?

Welcome to the site mate, and the country.

Leave your shite weather at home because we've got plenty to go around!

SPman
13th July 2007, 14:52
Oh and yeah there is definitely plenty of bikes around and some awesome roads to match. The local Honda dealer organises rides about every 2nd thursday evening during daylight savings - More Suzukis and Aprilias on the rides though than Hondas :yes:

Do they go anywhere else except the Mokau pub, these days!

dhunt
13th July 2007, 15:26
yeah - been to a few pubs along SH45 and a winery off SH3 heading north. My memory ain't the best when it comes to place names but most places have been pretty good.

pritch
13th July 2007, 15:49
They have a very pretty mountain.....on the days you can actually see it....

It's out today and it's lovely. The attached picture is taken from Cape Egmont, not downtown New Plymouth... It's from last winter but it just happens to be the only photo I have at work.
(Note for Saslex, Image used with permission of the photographer. :yes:)

And if sels1 comes up this way occasionally he should say so before he actually arrives one day, he could meet the locals at some convenient hostelry...

nadroj
13th July 2007, 17:42

I've lived in the Naki for 50+ years & have never seen a pub in Mokau.
The closest are at Awakino or Urenui.
Only one Pie n Pint ride per year goes to the Awakino pub so there is plenty of variation with roads around the mountain, South and East as well as Urenui and loop rides ending in local watering holes with eateries.

young1
16th July 2007, 12:34
Welcome to the Naki!

Happy to answer any questions you may have, PM me if you want

sels1
16th July 2007, 12:59
And if sels1 comes up this way occasionally he should say so before he actually arrives one day, he could meet the locals at some convenient hostelry...

You're right he should, and he probably will one of these days........:)

inlinefour
16th July 2007, 13:07
The wife and I are moving to New Plymouth at the end of July, from the UK. We would be grateful for any info on the local bike world (if any), clubs, dealers etc. Also any general info, such as what to see, nice areas to rent and anything else that might be useful.

thanks

Lived in New Plymouth all my life and I guess Im kinda well know about these parts. Feel free to PM or email any questions you might like answered. If I don't know the answer immdeiately, I can sure as shyte find out for you. Good place New Plymouth, I suspect you will enjoy it too. :rockon:

SPman
16th July 2007, 13:19
I've lived in the Naki for 50+ years & have never seen a pub in Mokau.
The closest are at Awakino or Urenui.
Only one Pie n Pint ride per year goes to the Awakino pub so there is plenty of variation with roads around the mountain, South and East as well as Urenui and loop rides ending in local watering holes with eateries.
Whoops - meant Awakino :o

shafty
16th July 2007, 13:53
[QUOTE=nadroj;1131051]I've lived in the Naki for 50+ years & have never seen a pub in Mokau.
QUOTE]

nadroj, you wouldn't BE that old yet would ya?!! :dodge:

Mekk
16th July 2007, 17:59
I have lived in NP for near on 18 years, it's a great place. Friendly folk, great setting.

While admittedly it isn't very big (pop 50,000) and the night life severely lacking, there's elements that can't be replicated by man that make it worth it. Location is a big one in that you're right by the sea and not too far from the mountain either. The last few years have worked on modernizing the central area and waterfront which has made it (in my opinion) very attractive.

For biking there are some fantastic sweeping back roads in Taranaki, especially behind the mountain. If you include further north you have the Awakino Gorge and Mt. Messenger to play on which are very twisty. The scenery out that way is also stunning. Lush green to the right on rolling hills and the blue Tasman to the left.

The blokes at New Plymouth Motorcycle Centre are good keen workers that know their stuff. I can recommend Denis there, he definitely knows his stuff and has helped me out with my bike many times. There are a few other shops around, Energy Honda and I think a new Yamaha one on the way in too. There was a smaller place I saw last time as well, full of Raptors. They're usually all pretty friendly and helpful.

admenk
17th July 2007, 04:11
Thanks for all the replies....

I will hopefully get round to contacting some of you with some more detailed questions as soon as possible. It's a bit busy at the mo, packing up the house etc, only got 2weeks left to do it !!

Should hopefully see you all soon

sAsLEX
17th July 2007, 04:52

That pub had excellent food and company at the Meat ride last year!

Thanks again to the chap that gave me a lift from Otrahonga to Auckland after me alarm decided I was a thief!

It's out today and it's lovely. The attached picture is taken from Cape Egmont, not downtown New Plymouth... It's from last winter but it just happens to be the only photo I have at work.
(Note for Saslex, Image used with permission of the photographer. :yes:)
Some nice rides around the mountain!
http://saslex.orcon.net.nz/CBR250RR.jpg

young1
17th July 2007, 11:08
You will enjoy the Naki, some great gravel roads to explore to.

Boob Johnson
21st July 2007, 01:00
PM me as well... the local Constabulary can point out many hotspots for you to avoid. If you have a place in mind, let me know...:msn-wink:Yep me too, happy to assist where possible.

Oh and yeah there is definitely plenty of bikes around and some awesome roads to match. The local Honda dealer organises rides about every 2nd thursday evening during daylight savings - More Suzukis and Aprilias on the rides though than Hondas :yes:Yeah called "The Pie n Pint" run. Bloody magic, the first one I went on was fantastic, the sound of 30 odd bikes together was simply awe inspiring.

Do they go anywhere else except the Mokau pub, these days!SH43 the "Forgotton Highway"...SH45 the "Surf Highway" + a multitude of others. Plenty of back country roads round here with stuff all traffic on them.

The last few years have worked on modernizing the central area and waterfront which has made it (in my opinion) very attractive.Yeah I grew up here but left when I was 20, came back two years ago after 13 odd years away, huge changes and all very positive (except the bloody parking fees going up 130% over night :shutup:)

There was a smaller bike shop I saw last time as well, full of Raptors. They're usually all pretty friendly and helpful.Yeah thats "Image Motorcycles", just replaced my riding pants after writing my bike off (thank you State insurance :yes:). The owners (husband & wife) are really nice.

admenk
6th August 2007, 11:40
Thanks everyone for your postings.

We are now here and in the process of finding a house. Once we have settled in, hope to get a bike and maybe we can meet up for a ride etc

In the meantime, we are enjoying the lovely weather !!.....its' just like being back in the UK.

Hope to see you soon

Boob Johnson
7th August 2007, 23:56
Thanks everyone for your postings.

We are now here and in the process of finding a house. Once we have settled in, hope to get a bike and maybe we can meet up for a ride etc

In the meantime, we are enjoying the lovely weather !!.....its' just like being back in the UK.

Hope to see you soonA lot of rain & tornadoes in the UK then? :laugh:

pritch
10th August 2007, 10:24

When you're ready give a shout, several on here always looking for an excuse to go to Whangamomona, or Mokau, or Opunake or...

Image on Eliot are currently doing runs some Thursday nights at 4.30PM I think. They also do a longer one each month on a weekend.

Energy Honda do Pie & Pints on alternate Thursdays during daylight saving starting @ 6.00PM from memory.

See you on the road :yes:

ynot slow
14th August 2007, 18:13
A few runs out of Hawera via Paul at Northwest m/c,advertised in local papers.

Rule 1) we don't want to know who are the current world rugby cup holders.

Rule 2)leave the sheep alone-step away
from the ewe.

Rule 3)it always was Mt.Egmont to us who have lived here since birth.

Rule 4)get to see the Tawhiti museum in Hawera.

Rule 5)enjoy the place,drink heaps.:yes: