PDA

View Full Version : Foreign Scooter Fun...sun, sand, sex

Gasman
23rd September 2004, 20:01
:banana: Thought I'd tell you about a trip my wife and I did with our daughter and her boyfriend last year. They are still away on the big OE, so we met them over there (our first visit) in London. We headed off to a Greek island on one of those cheap Ryan Air fares (VERY cheap). On the island there are scooters to hire, so we grabbed a couple. Having a bike licence I was allowed a 125 Honda (WOW) while the future son in law got a 50. (Still better than the Hardly Davidson 50cc Honda Nifty he had here).It didn't matter though, cause most of the riding was on tight winding roads anyway.

What a great experience. I feel in love with scooters, one day might even buy one for some fun spinning around town (won't fit 12 pairs of mirrors though, or wear a duffle coat)! Anyway, on this island there are many k's of gravel and dirt roads...not really made for scooter? NO WAY! The locals just go anywhere on them, even up stairs and especially on the footpath! It can be fun in the tiny streets of the towns. We headed into the country, two up on each scooter, plus packs with swimming gear, wine, lunch etc. What fun times! Even skidding all over the gravel, with those little wheels bouncing sideways was fun. Never felt unsafe at any time..........until the day we took the scooters back.

We were hooning along in the sun, over a beaut coast road, when suddenly ........WHACK.............. there was this belt in my chest. It felt like someone had shot me with slug gun. Nobody about though, and we were in the middle of nowhere. Just kept riding, but then I looked down into the footwell, and just about shit! There at my feet (which were not in boots, just summer shoes) was a HUGE wasp. No kidding, this mutha was over 3" (that's 75mm for you young'uns) long, and it was pissed. It was spinning around and jumping up and down. The damned footwell area was so well protected that the damned thing wouldn't blow away. It flew up in the air a couple of inches, then landed on my foot. To this day I can't remember if I was watching where I was going while trying to stamp on the thing! Probably all over the road, thank God there was no traffic. Just then we arrived at the funny little place where the bikes came from. You should have seen me get off! A real movie kind of stop, shower of gravel and all! The owner came out and wanted to know what the fuss was all about. When he saw the wasp he jumped on it real quick!

Is this a good time to say that I'm allergic to the damned things?

Anyway, it was a great trip, and I'd love to go back. Whenever we are lucky enough to get to such a place again, guess who'll be lining up to hire a scooter for those great fun "scooting about" type rides. Sorry, but for longer rides a bike is still the answer. Oh, did I say sex? Sorry, I meant wasp.....

:rockon:

DebK
23rd September 2004, 20:58
Bloody excellent! Cheers for the great story Gasman.

erik
23rd September 2004, 21:55
Oh, did I say sex? Sorry, I meant wasp.....

:laugh:

Nice story.

Ghost Lemur
23rd September 2004, 22:25
Great story Gasman. :scooter:

Any pics for us?

Devil
24th September 2004, 12:08
*shudder* if it was that big it was probably a hornet.
After seeing a national geographic program on the hornet I think ill be scarred for life.

Gasman
24th September 2004, 12:21
Great story Gasman. :scooter:

Any pics for us?Good point, Yes I do have a couple, but I'll have to down load them off the CDR this weekend. Don't have one of the "beast" though.:niceone:

Gasman
24th September 2004, 12:24
*shudder* if it was that big it was probably a hornet.
After seeing a national geographic program on the hornet I think ill be scarred for life.
That's a thought. I've not had ANYTHING to do with hornets. I didn't know they got that big, but I do know they hurt like hell if they sting ya.:ar15:

Artifice
24th September 2004, 15:03
hornets are red and tend to sting you again and again and again cos they can. last time i saw a hornets nest i just ran away. they arent worth annoying even if it can be fun moving the branch that has thier nest int o somebodys bedroom.

Posh Tourer :P
24th September 2004, 15:04
Apparently hornets have just been detected in NZ :wacko:

Gasman
24th September 2004, 16:43
hornets are red and tend to sting you again and again and again cos they can. last time i saw a hornets nest i just ran away. they arent worth annoying even if it can be fun moving the branch that has thier nest int o somebodys bedroom.
No, this thing wasn't red. It was yellow with black stripes, exactly like the German Wasps we get here in NZ, just one hell of a lot bigger....a wasp on steroids! I'm bloody glad it didn't get stuck in my clothing!:Pokey:

Blakamin
24th September 2004, 19:26
No, this thing wasn't red. It was yellow with black stripes,
Oh now...my CBR attacked you!!!! :gob:

sorry

Gasman
24th September 2004, 20:33
Oh now...my CBR attacked you!!!! :gob:

sorry
I bet that would really sting! There's a good story in there....somewhere!

Artifice
24th September 2004, 21:57
quick, Stomp on the black and yellow cbr b4 it stings you.