PDA

View Full Version : Round the North Island...

puddytat
13th July 2007, 23:01
Im planning to head Nth in march 08 for a reunion & would like some recommendations on the best route(least cops, most curves).Basically I got to go to 4 places to meet up with folks, they being Waipukurau,Tauranga,Whangamata then across to Raglan & back down to the ferry...so if anyone can help me join the dots be much appreciated.Cheers!

jafar
14th July 2007, 23:35
Im planning to head Nth in march 08 for a reunion & would like some recommendations on the best route(least cops, most curves).Basically I got to go to 4 places to meet up with folks, they being Waipukurau,Tauranga,Whangamata then across to Raglan & back down to the ferry...so if anyone can help me join the dots be much appreciated.Cheers!

Off the ferry then up sh2 & over the Rimutaka hill to the Wairarapa & through to Waipukurau is a good run, Castlepoint is worth a look if you have the time. Waipukurau to Tauranga via Napier & Taupo then turn onto sh 5 to Rotorua . go to Ngongotaha & sh 42 to Tauranga.
Tauranga to Whangamata is straightforward & well signposted from Waihi . Waihi to Whangamata is magic road. Whangamata to Raglan is either a backtrack to Waihi or over the saddle to Kopu,or carry on over the top to Coromandel & down the coast to Thames then to Paeroa.
Backroad from Paeroa is signposted to Hamilton, find sh 1 & head north to ngauawahia & turn left @ the bp to get to Whatawhata. Right turn @ Whatawhata will put you on the road to Raglan.
Leave Raglan & head back to Whatawhata & turn right to get to Otorohanga & sh3 to New Plymouth via Mt Messenger.
Sh3 will take you through Wanganui to Bulls & Sanson, turn right @ Sanson to head back to the ferry or go straight ahead to go to Palmy.:scooter:

Zukin
15th July 2007, 00:03
As jafar has already said I would agree with the first part, over the Rimutakas

Then up SH2 to Waipuk then instead of going over the Napier Taupo, I would head around the coast for a much more scenic ride (you will probably need to stopover somewhere for 1 night) then into Tauranga :yes:
You can bypass the coast if you want to and head through the gorge between Gisborne and Opotiki.

Maybe also look at the Coromandel loop on the way to Raglan :yes:

Jantar
15th July 2007, 07:57
There are so many options and some great roads up there. How much time do you have?

Like the others have said, over the Rimutakas to start with, and head north. But at Masterton, take a right turn, and go via Alfredton and Wimbleton to Waipukarau. Just beware, not many fuel stops on this route.

From Waipukarau, go via Napier, Gisborne, East Cape, Opotiki, Ohope Beach, Whakatane to Tauranga. Allow an extra day for this route, or cut through from Gisborne to Opotiki to save time.

Tauranga to Whangamata is a good ride just following the main road.

Then carry on around the Coro loop in reverse to Thames. South to Paeroa, then straight across to Tahuna, Ngaruawahia, Raglan.

When you leave Raglan, head back to Whatawhata, then SH39 to Otorohanga. Main road to New Plymouth, then the Surf Highway to the west of Egmont. Once you are back to Bulls then there isn't really much choice other than SH1 to Paekakariki where you turn left and head over the hill. Turn right at the end of the road, and you'll find your to Wellington from the end of this road OK.

puddytat
16th July 2007, 13:27
Cheers for that... I plan about 10 days to 2 wks what with visiting the "Rellies".....I like the idea of taking 52 thru to Waipuk as I went that way years back & thought what a great bike road that'd be. Any idea where the last gas stop would be after Masterton? There used to be pumps in Porangahau,but it would be tight I think if it was 1 fill to there. From Otane go via the Tukituki Valley to Hastings....fang up to Gisborne & I'll go thru to Opotoki I reckon as I aint been that way before. Yeah, do the Coromandel loop then across to Raglan ,down to Te Kuiti But then ....which'd be the better ride , 3 0r 4 ,as I heard the ride thru the Whagamomonas to Stratford was good too? Mmmmm, doesnt sound to bad eh? Just a bit of a bugger I got to wait till Easter...

MSTRS
16th July 2007, 13:36
Just stop it, you lot!!!
Some of us gotta work. No time for daydreams, you know.
As you were....

Jantar
16th July 2007, 14:46
... Just a bit of a bugger I got to wait till Easter...

Easter? Why didn't you say easter? Now that gives a whole different aspect to the route.

Might I suggest that you start in Invercargill on Wednesday 19th March, then go via Dunedin, Cromwell, Hokitika, Christchurch, Picton, Wellington, Wanganui, National Park, Auckland, to Kaiatia as per this thread: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=51034
Then return to Raglan, and take the route I described previously in reverse.

:ride: :ride: :ride: :ride:

sunhuntin
16th July 2007, 18:12
lol, jantar.

i will also throw in the paraparas, between wangas and national park [get that road from taupo/turnagi.] but im blowed on how to fit it into whats already been suggested! LOL. i will also suggest you get an update on that road closer to the date, cos its not good right now! [sink holes, roadworks etc]

puddytat
16th July 2007, 22:27
thought I might turn off @ Palmy & pop thru the Manawatu gorge & then down to & back over the Rimutakas again as well....

jafar
19th July 2007, 23:48
thought I might turn off @ Palmy & pop thru the Manawatu gorge & then down to & back over the Rimutakas again as well....

If your going to do that then you might want to stop @ the lake ferry pub as well . :innocent:

Usarka
20th July 2007, 08:54
Dude you want to pick up a copy of the new zealand motorcycle atlas its basically a map book with some suggested top rides that are highlited in the maps with some blurb also. I read it in front of the heater at night dreaming of where to go this summer woohoo.

i think you can get it mailorder from motomail hold on www.motoretail.co.nz/product.cfm?ID=4306. or a bike shop near you might have it unless you live in the sticks like invercargill.

mbazza
21st July 2007, 19:07
I bought my copy of NZ Motorcycle Atlas in Invervegas. Got a 15% discount as I was the first purchaser! Cool eh! :innocent:

jafar
21st July 2007, 19:59
I bought my copy of NZ Motorcycle Atlas in Invervegas. Got a 15% discount as I was the first purchaser! Cool eh! :innocent:

They have bookshops there :gob:

puddytat
23rd July 2007, 18:42
[QUOTE=Usarka;1138812]Dude you want to pick up a copy of the new zealand motorcycle atlas its basically a map book with some suggested top rides that are highlited in the maps with some blurb also.

Damn good idea!! Cheers:rockon:

mbazza
23rd July 2007, 21:49
They have bookshops there :gob:

G'day, not only book shops but also the BMC - Burt Munro Challange! Why not come on down and help celebrate motorcycles in NZ? I'll buy you a book if you turn up! Cheers -:sunny:

puddytat
10th February 2008, 14:34
Well its getting closer,be headin' norf on the 16th March for 2 weeks ..4 of us in total,so if you see a red R6,a red Tuono, red Monster & a black Rockster say G'day....got the route pretty sorted as in we know roughly which roads well do, but we'll see what the weather brings at the time as to which way we go on what day....

MyGSXF
10th February 2008, 14:43
Jumped on to tell ya bout the Motorcycle Atlas.. but see some others bet me to it!! :laugh:

I have a copy here.. :yes: so if you're up for a blat over the Hope for a day ride.. stop in for a coffee.. & have a looksee through the book!!!! :Punk:

Jen :rockon:

puddytat
10th February 2008, 20:40
I may well take you up on that Jen, Ill pm you when i know when Im next that way,which is semi regular as the blat from Murch to Nelson is so good, esp from Murch to down the other side of the Hope...