PDA

View Full Version : Metal containers for panniers

Steam
13th July 2007, 23:28
Has anyone seen any of these around, they are called "Mermite" containers.
They are used to hold cold food in the US army.
I'd like a couple to make into panniers.

Alternatively, does anyone have some biggish metal containers I could use to convert into panniers?

ta!

Zukin
14th July 2007, 05:58
Has anyone seen any of these around, they are called "Mermite" containers.
They are used to hold cold food in the US army.
I'd like a couple to make into panniers.

Alternatively, does anyone have some biggish metal containers I could use to convert into panniers?

ta!

Do you want them from here (NZ) or in OZ when you get over there

Cheers Scott

Zukin
14th July 2007, 06:04
This is a good start if you want them in OZ
http://www.ozsurplus.com.au/

or any good army surplus store can help :yes:

Steam
14th July 2007, 08:34
Do you want them from here (NZ) or in OZ when you get over there

Cheers Scott

Aargle, I wasn't thinking, so probably Oz. Not a lot of point asking on this forum then eh!
Yeah, I'll probably look around at surplus stores once I get there.

pete376403
14th July 2007, 21:17
I tried looking on e-bay - according to people on advrider.com, they were available and cheap, but it seems that the military restoration guys have sucked up just about all the supply. Other problem would be freight from the US, one supplier quoted me around $US150 each - for a $SU50 container. Got some Pelican lookalikes instead, $99 from Bunnings

carbacca
14th July 2007, 21:24
at the antiques arm show at henderson a while back, there was a dealer trying to flog off a massive pile of mortar shell carrying cases at $15 a pop i think. they're big-ish to hold the shell might be what youre looking for.

Steam
14th July 2007, 21:41
at the antiques arm show ... there was a dealer trying to flog off a massive pile of mortar shell carrying cases ...
Yes they were in Wellington too, super cheap at $10 each. Attached is a photo of what they look like on the bike. They are the LAV main cannon shell cases. But they were really heavy, maybe about 6 or 7 kilos for the box alone. The Gun Shop in Petone sells them too, and the owner is a biker too, has about 4 bikes I think.

...but it seems that the military restoration guys have sucked up just about all the supply.... Got some Pelican lookalikes instead, $99 from Bunnings

I asked the army surplus shop listed above if they have any, they call them Hot Boxes over in Oz, but they haven't been able to stock any because the Aussie army destroys its stuff instead of selling it nowdays!

Thanks for the Bunnings tip, might have a look to see if they are tough enough. They have to be able to stand up to a pounding on the rough.

The other option is to make my own, shouldn't be too hard with a cutting disc on my power-drill then a pop-riveter. The only problem would be folding the aluminium tidily. I hear 1.5mm alu is thick enough, some guy did a review of his he made then took around South America, and they worked well made from 1.5mm.

FROSTY
14th July 2007, 21:45
Dude if ya just want black panniers i'm hauling a set off of an XJ750 soon they look the same ish

Steam
14th July 2007, 21:47
Dude if ya just want black panniers i'm hauling a set off of an XJ750 soon they look the same ish

I shall PM you with questions:sunny:

pete376403
14th July 2007, 23:07
!Thanks for the Bunnings tip, might have a look to see if they are tough enough. They have to be able to stand up to a pounding on the rough..

Pelicans (the genuine thing) are nigh on indestructible. Guaranteed so by the makers, and used for transport of high value video, photo, computer and instrumentation equipment. And priced accordingly. The Chinese made equivalent units I got are marketed by an Aussie co under the Kincrome brand. Bunnings rebadge these and sell them quite a bit cheaper. For example, in NZ this place http://www.kens.co.nz/product.php?item=391 sells Pelican 1550s for $NZ468. The Kincrome equivalent is the "large safe case " and sells for $A128.40 http://www.transquip.com.au/product.aspx?ID=4259. Bunnings rebadge this as "Craftech" and their NZ price is $99. I bought 2 atthe Porirua store. The size is within a few mm (plus or minus) of the peli 1550. Of course you'll have to find some way of hanging them on the bike. The Pelis *might* take a greater impact than the Bunnings ones but I think you'd have to pick your crash pretty carefully to see a difference. The other benefit of the Pelicans is that there is a very large range of sizes, but there are only 4 sizes in the Kkincrome/Craftech range

clint640
16th July 2007, 10:55
Thanks for the Bunnings tip, might have a look to see if they are tough enough. They have to be able to stand up to a pounding on the rough.

The other option is to make my own, shouldn't be too hard with a cutting disc on my power-drill then a pop-riveter. The only problem would be folding the aluminium tidily. I hear 1.5mm alu is thick enough, some guy did a review of his he made then took around South America, and they worked well made from 1.5mm.

If making your own the trick would be to buy the alu from a sheetmetal place, cut it out then take it back for them to bend it. But at $200 for the pair those bunnings pelican copies look good, I think I'll make up a set out of them one day, by the time you'd got the alu, rivets, hinges, latches, handles etc to make metal ones you could easily spend $200.

One thing to think about when attaching them to the bike is having a breakaway attachment so if you do crash you just have to replace a plastic tab or similar (carry spares) rather than the whole setup getting munted.

Cheers
Clint

pete376403
16th July 2007, 18:44
I didn't mention the kincrome / bunnings items only come in bright yellow. Great if you have a DR, maybe a bit gaudy otherwise. I'm going to spray mine (probably black) and leave some of the yellow showing for visibility. Pelicans do come in a range of colours

ZeroIndex
16th July 2007, 18:48
OMG not this again... What poor innocent bike is gonna get ratted this time? :killingme

Steam
16th July 2007, 18:51
...only come in bright yellow....
Tough equipment like that is expected to be ugly, it almost seems compulsory. Bulldozer = YELLOW! Pannier case = YELLOW! It's appropriate.

Anyway, I went and had a look but the ones they had are a bit too small. They really are tough-feeling, they can't be too much weaker than the proper Pelicans. And they have holes for padlocks too.
I'd definitely recommend them to tourers.

clint640
17th July 2007, 08:27
I didn't mention the kincrome / bunnings items only come in bright yellow. Great if you have a DR, maybe a bit gaudy otherwise. I'm going to spray mine (probably black) and leave some of the yellow showing for visibility. Pelicans do come in a range of colours

Yeah, I saw the KTM orange pelicans :love: they would definitely look good on my rig, then I saw the price... around $750ea :shit: I've never minded paying a little extra for quality but 7x+ as much is a bit steep. With an orange bike, yellow luggage & my new bright red jacket I would definitely be a mobile fashion statement (or is that mobile fashion criminal??)

Cheers
Clint

FROSTY
17th July 2007, 08:47
Howsabout these dude--

clint640
17th July 2007, 12:50
Looking at the dimensions again on the bunnings ones they probably are a bit small, these ones are a similar size but a bit deeper, maybe not quite as good quality tho. They don't list the dimensions on the site but the sparkys here at work use em.

http://www.rsnewzealand.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/searchBrowseAction.do?Nr=avl%3anz&N=4294842738&name=SiteStandard&forwardingPage=line&R=1583275&callingPage=/jsp/browse/browse.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@0654066836.1184632796@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccgaddlhgidmhjcefeceeldgkidhgn.0&cacheID=nzie

Of course if you're on a budget Frosty's panniers above are probably a very good option, some of those old roadbike panniers are pretty tough as long as they haven't spent too much time in the sun.

Cheers
Clint

ManDownUnder
17th July 2007, 12:52
http://www.kiwidisposals.co.nz/products/?cid=49

They are just down the road from me if there's anything I can do to help...

pete376403
17th July 2007, 14:14
Looking at the dimensions again on the bunnings ones they probably are a bit small, these ones are a similar size but a bit deeper, maybe not quite as good quality tho. They don't list the dimensions on the site but the sparkys here at work use em.
Cheers
Clint
Searched the RS site on keyword "cases". Found a whole bunch, including the RS w/tight case model 1550. Manufacturer code "Peli" (hint = pelican). Price in single units $NZ673. It would be a cold day in hell before I bought anything from RS as long as someone else was selling the same or similar.
Tradewind http://www.tradewind.co.nz/HTML_Text/pelican.htm sell this same case for $359. Tradewind are probably the cheapest supplier of genuine Pelicans in NZ
Dimensions of the 1550 are 482 x 355 x 196. Dimensions of the Bunnings case are 430 x 380 x 154.
When I was looking into cases I decided the extra 40mm of depth wasn't worth the extra $260, and that it was easier to pack one less T shirt or pair of jeans

clint640
17th July 2007, 14:33
Dimensions of the 1550 are 482 x 355 x 196. Dimensions of the Bunnings case are 430 x 380 x 154.
When I was looking into cases I decided the extra 40mm of depth wasn't worth the extra $260, and that it was easier to pack one less T shirt or pair of jeans

Or $520 over the pair! I think I will go for the RS $170 ones in my link above, they're a similar size to the 1550, that extra 40mm would be the difference between fitting in my tent & sleeping bag or not.

Someone must be making some coin importing those pelicans, you can get a basic 1550 for NZ$120 online in the states with the current exchange rate, shipping would probably kill it but I might investigate anyway.

A cool idea I saw on advrider was to make a slim aluminium water/petrol tank to go between the bike & box on the non-muffler side, thus spacing it out a bit & keeping things symmetrical.

Cheers
Clint

clint640
17th July 2007, 16:53
This outfit:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/pelican-1550-watertight-protector-hard-cases.html

Will ship 2 1550 cases to NZ, any colour you like, NZ$455 for the pair all up.

I'm tempted. Mind you I'd like a set of andystrapz expedition soft panniers too, better for the more extreme adv rides where security isn't so much of a concern.

Cheers
Clint

pete376403
18th July 2007, 12:16
OK I couldn't follow the link you gave to RS as it told me it had expired. I just did a search from the main page. Any idea the RS code for the cases you're referring to?

The extra tank idea is a goodie. Might be a bit redundant in NZ (unless trying to do the Rusty Nuts non stop) but in Aus it would almost be mandatory

clint640
18th July 2007, 13:16
They did take a bit of finding again, what you're after is:

Utility case plastic, RS code# 158-3275

Cheers
Clint